Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do you break a closed path?

May 17, 2013 3:16 AM

It's infuriating: Not only is there no indicated means of doing this in the GUI or menus, but there's no result in attempting to search the Web for it.

Once a path is closed, how do you break it open?

And while I'm at it: I have a vector mask.  I want to draw another vector shape and subtract it from this vector mask.  How would I do this?

Thanks!

Replies
  • JJMack
    6,004 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    May 17, 2013 3:56 AM   in reply to Mobius Strip

One way is to use the direct selection tool click on a segment and use the delete key.

delete.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 17, 2013 5:25 AM   in reply to Mobius Strip

Mobius Strip wrote:

I have a vector mask.  I want to draw another vector shape and subtract it from this vector mask.  How would I do this?

Target the vector mask. Either set the vector tool's combining mode to "Subtract" or hold down Alt key when starting to draw a path to subtract from the mask. You'll see a minus sign at the cursor when the mode is subtractive. The Alt key can be released during the drawing action in order to use, for example, the Shift key to constrain proportions.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,004 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    May 17, 2013 6:09 AM   in reply to Mobius Strip

As conroy wrote you can have many sub paths in is a work path and you can use selection tools to select paths and change the mode they have. Here I have several sub path is a work path. All in add to path mode.  I used the path selection tool and the path mode icon pull down to change two of the sub paths to subtract mode.

CP.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 17, 2013 5:48 PM   in reply to Mobius Strip

The filled region indeed does indicate an intersection of the paths instead of one being subtracted from the other. Use the Path Selection Tool to select the boat path and ensure it has "Combine Shapes" mode. Then select the water path, ensure it has "Subtract Front Shape" mode and pick "Bring Shape to Front" in the Path Arrangement options. The names of these options may differ depending on version of Ps and I've used the CS6 terms, but they are all in Options bar for Path Selection Tool.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points