Skip navigation
josesanmartin2013
Currently Being Moderated

Blending stroked paths in illustrator

May 17, 2013 6:22 AM

Hi,

I want to blend two similar paths. Both paths have dashed lines as strokes, and both dashed lines go from big to small dot, in decreasing direction. I want to blend both paths, so the blend goes from big to small, in BOTH directions. The ideal ending image would show the biggest dot at the top left corner, and the smallest, at the down right corner (the final project involves two spirals, but for the sake of simplicity, I attach two straight lines).

I try to blend them, and the blend only goes in one direction, as seen in the attached samples (in the sample, it goes from top to bottom, but it doesn't go from left to right). It seems that Illustrator takes only the first dot size, and applies it as if all the path has the same dot size.

I hope my explanation is clear enough, and some of you can help me in this.

Thank you so much for your time and help,

Best regards!

paths_blend.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 17, 2013 6:29 AM   in reply to josesanmartin2013

Thy making your initial two lines as blends; expand those two blends, then create a blend between them.

Screen shot 2013-05-17 at 9.27.51 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 8:18 AM   in reply to josesanmartin2013

I was suggesting creating the "lines" out of two blends, and then expanding the blends. I missed the part about the spirals--can you post a picture of the spiral shapes together? The initial dot-blends can be made into a spiral; if I can see the shape of the spirals you want to use, I can be of more help.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 2:22 PM   in reply to josesanmartin2013

Here's how I was able to duplicate what I think you want to do:

First I made two straight blends of 8 dots each, for the beginning and end of the spiral. I expanded those blends, and then created a blend between those two lines. Then I made the spiral as a plain stroke. selected the spiral and the new blend, and chose "replace spine".

Here are a couple of screen shots. If you aren't following what I've done, let me know and I can post in more detail on Monday.

Screen shot 2013-05-17 at 5.16.53 PM.pngScreen shot 2013-05-17 at 5.17.01 PM.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points