Skip navigation
WayBeyondHope
Currently Being Moderated

APE 9.0; Unable to open new project.

May 17, 2013 12:37 PM

Tags: #problem #premiere_elements_9

I cannot open a new project in APE 9.0; If using the tab on the welcome page, I cannot enter a name; if using the file menu, I can enter a name, but the OK button is non-responsive. Any suggestions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 17, 2013 1:02 PM   in reply to WayBeyondHope

Just to insure that yours is not a GUI issue, I would check that you have the very latest video driver installed. Go to the mfgr's. Web site, and check for yourself - do not let your OS tell you if you have the latest one, as that will be probably 6 mos. out of date.

If you have a Dell, Lenovo, HP, etc., check on their Web site.

If you do have the very latest video driver, or that the very latest driver update does not fix things, then please report back.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 1:36 PM   in reply to WayBeyondHope

WBH

Is this a problem were "it worked before but does not now" or "it never worked before"?

For now I am assuming Windows 7 or 8 64 bit, and my details will go to Premiere Elements running on that....

Have you installed the Premiere Elements 9.0.1 Update for Premiere Elements 9? If not, first order of business.

You can make the installation with Premiere Elements 9 closed and use the online download from Adobe to your computer:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4929

Then right click the desktop icon for Premiere Elements 9, select Properties, and then click the Open File Location. That will take you to the Adobe Premiere Elements 9.exe file (file now taking you to the Welcome Screen). Right next to it is the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file. Right click the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file, select Send to and then "Desktop (create shortcut) and then close out of there. Open Premiere Elements 9, thereafter using this new desktop icon which is used to bypass the Welcome Screen and some processes.

Then see if you can open a new project and set the project preset in the New Project dialog, opening from the new Desktop icon to bypass the Welcome and with the 9.0.1 Update installed. If you could have gotten into the opened project, you could have gotten to the update via Help Menu/Update.

We could have you delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs File or do a complete and clean uninstall/reinstall, as well as work from details of your computer operating system etc., but let us start here. Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 was particularly notorious for display card error messages, so we might end up getting into video card driver updates and/or baddrivers.txt file deletion.

But let us start here and then determine what next.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 3:32 PM   in reply to WayBeyondHope

WBH

Do not even think about uninstall unless you are sure you have installation files or installation disc for the reinstall. Many of these pre-installs run into this pitfall with no help forthcoming from the companies involved. Check your paperwork for the computer purchase to see if there is anything in there that guarantees you installation material for the program?

But, getting back to what we can do...you went through everything on my check list without solving the problem? The deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file often remedies unexplained events. Sorry, it did not help this time around. How long ago was it that you could open a new project? I am thinking maybe System Restore. But I would proceed with care on that idea.

Have you gone through the drill of

a. Having the latest version of QuickTime installed

b. Running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges; rechecking priviledges.

c. Doing a computer optimization...defragmentation, ccleaner regular and registry cleaner optimization...

Adobe Folder...(Default Location Documents)

Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder...getting rid of preview files that piled up there

Media Cache Folder...getting rid of conformed audio (cfa and pek), that piled up there

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Common

Media Cache

and delete the .mcdb files (which are conformed video files)

Make sure that you are working with Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so you can see the path.

Just how much available RAM and free hard drive space does your computer have? Is all you free hard drive space coming from the Local Disk C?

Those of my current thoughts. We will be watching for you progress.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 6:16 PM   in reply to WayBeyondHope

WBH

Did you delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file yet?

If not, let us give that a try...

Local Disk C

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete.

Make sure that you are working with Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you see the complete path.

Are you working with AutoSave (See Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoSave)? You might want to look into that as a variable.

Have you gone the clean up route yet. That can make a major difference even if you think that you have lots of available RAM and free hard drive space.

Did you get any new programs or plug-ins or codecs when the problems set in?

Did you ever confirm that you have the 9.0.1 Update installed?

Please review, and we will think about this some more.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points