Skip navigation
LadyAmada
Currently Being Moderated

Re-installed CS6.  Any reason why it is freezing? + my Elements 7 not working right?

May 17, 2013 5:07 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm back again.  I had previous thread where I asked for information on what to do about Deactivating/Reinstalling CS6.  I Deactivated the program before removing it from my laptop, as I promised.  http://forums.adobe.com/message/5293794#5293794

I had to send my laptop back to HP for repair.  They replaced my Optical Drive and did a complete System Reinstall.  I got my laptop back this past Monday, May 13.  I reinstalled most of my programs and some of my pictures folders.  I also reinstalled my Elements 7 and everything was working great.

Problem A -

On Tuesday, I reinstalled CS6 and that's when my problems started.  CS6 took over all my PSE files, so I chose to "always open with PSE" option.  Now all I have, instead of a nice, blue PSE icon I have a white paper with a smaller PSE icon in the center.  

Here's a SNIP of what they look like:

4Adobe Forum,PSE not working right.JPG

Also, some of my fonts seem to have disappeared - now when I open a PSE file I get a msg that the font is missing and that I need to choose another font (something like that, I forgot to write it down)

Problem B -

Today I was trying to open some Vector files and I couldn't find the option to make them into PNG files.   And, the Editor froze up twice! and twice I had to force-quit my computer.

Questions

1 - Why are my PSE icons showing up like a "page" as shown above?

2 - Is there a way to get my regular icon back?

3 - Where did my Fonts go and how can I get them back?

4 - Why can't I save my images as PNG?

5 - Why is CS6 freezing up?

Could you please help me find the aswers? I'm getting more and more frustrated by the minute. 

Thanks so much.

Regards,

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 17, 2013 5:49 PM   in reply to LadyAmada

Rather than address all your concerns directly, please allow me to suggest some things that might take you to a better place...

Instead of Ps or pse appearing on your icons, would you like it if they were thumbnails of the actual image in the file?  If so, that can be done by installing codecs into Windows, which will facilitate viewing PSD (as well as many other image types including raw files) in Explorer and in things like File - Open and File - Save dialogs.  There are multiple codec packages, one free (Sage Thumbs) and several (FastPictureViewer and Mystic Thumbs) that are commercial but not very expensive.  Myself I prefer the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack (this is a link). I'm not affiliated with them, but the software does work very well - and it appears to be on sale right now.

You say you had your computer repaired?  Is it possible they re-imaged your disk?  Since fonts are installed into C:\Windows\Fonts, it's possible the folks who repaired your computer simply deleted them.  Do you have a backup of your Fonts?  Reinstalling them (e.g., by right-clicking font files and choosing Install) may be necessary.

Photoshop freezing or crashing when saving a PNG file could have several causes...  Have you installed any plug-ins into Photoshop?  Have you updated Photoshop to the latest release?

Perhaps it would be helpful if you would go into Photoshop and choose Help - System Info.  Copy the information and paste it into a post here (yes, it will be long, but the forum will handle it).

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 19, 2013 4:58 PM   in reply to LadyAmada

I don't have Monotype Corsiva or Balloonist on my Windows systems, so yes, I think they're add-on fonts.  I'm not sure where you'd get them - perhaps they were supplied with an application you purchased.

Regarding debugging problems...  I'm only an expert on Photoshop proper (not Elements), so let's start with that.  You say it's "freezing up".

Please copy the System Info from Photoshop CS6 and post it here.  That will answer a lot of questions, such as whether it's up-to-date, complete, identification of your display driver, what plug-ins you have installed, etc.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 21, 2013 11:47 AM   in reply to LadyAmada

>> In Elements all the Brushes are shown by name and are a breeze to locate and use,

Just change the list view in Photoshop to show name, or name + thumbnail.  It sounds like you've been missing out on a lot of the options in Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 1:00 PM   in reply to LadyAmada

Look at the menu on the upper right of any of the brush (or other preset) pickers in Photoshop.  Then select how you'd like to view the list of presets.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 21, 2013 2:06 PM   in reply to LadyAmada

LadyAmada wrote:

Video Card Number: 1
    Video Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    OpenCL Unavailable
    Driver Version: 8.15.10.2476
    Driver Date: 20110809000000.000000-000
    Video Card Driver: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumdx32,igd10umd32,igd10 umd32
    Video Mode: 1366 x 768 x 4294967296 colors
    Video Card Caption: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    Video Card Memory: 1798 MB
    Video Rect Texture Size: 8192

I spotted what I think might be a problem...  Your display driver is almost 2 years old, and I suspect Intel must have released a newer one since then.  There has been a lot of development in the realm of graphics processors in the past few years.

I suggest you visit the Intel web site, see if they have an updated display driver for your particular display hardware and operating system, and download and install it.  Display driver updates fix many problems.

Good luck!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 12:51 PM   in reply to LadyAmada

Not the new preset icon, the menu: and select the view that you'd like to use.

It's on "small thumbnail", try "small list".

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 24, 2013 9:56 AM   in reply to LadyAmada

Sorry, somehow I missed your prior response.

The problem quite likely is a display driver issue. 

Lacking the ability to download and install an updated display driver, try going into your Photoshop Performance prefrerence dialog, then pressing the [Advanced Settings] button and changing the Drawing Mode to Basic (if it isn't already).  Then OK out and close Photoshop, then restart it to test.

Failing that, try unchecking the box that says "Use Graphics Processor", and again close Photoshop and restart to test.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 10:05 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

LadyAmanda,

Intel makes great chips, BUT have been horribly unresponsive in updating their video drivers. Such a shame, but that lack of driver support really only shows up with programs, like Photoshop, Premiere (Pro an Elements), After Effects, CAD, 3D programs and games - not the market that Intel is shooting for. General computer programs will likely never show issues, but the above programs WILL.

Is your computer a laptop, or a desktop? If a desktop, my suggestion would be to install a current nVidia, or AMD/ATI video card, and turn OFF the embedded Intel video chip (usually via a setting in the BIOS from SETUP, though it can be via DIP switches, or jumpers ON the MoBo, MotherBoard). Most mid-range video cards from those two suppliers will allow constant and frequent driver updates, plus allow you to use the power of Photoshop.

If you have a laptop, then you are at the mercy of Intel (though your laptop mfgr. might offer driver updates).

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 24, 2013 5:15 PM   in reply to LadyAmada

Is it still not working, or do you know yet?

It's not a particularly new driver...

>Driver Version: 8.15.10.2476

>Driver Date: 20110809000000.000000-000

Note that it's from 2011.

I've had some bad experiences myself with the OpenGL software I've developed running on customers' Intel GPUs, so I don't know what to advise; it may be that this particular GPU hasn't had a driver update in 2 years, I don't know.

Did you try reconfiguring the Drawing Mode as I mentioned, or even turning off the GPU support?  If that changes the problem at least we'll know we're in the right ballpark.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 12:55 PM   in reply to LadyAmada

Because your document is in CMYK and PNG does not support CMYK.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 12:58 PM   in reply to LadyAmada

Your doc is CMYK which is not supported by PNG.

Edit: Chris beat me to it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 1:04 PM   in reply to LadyAmada

Change it with Image > Mode > RGB.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 1:32 PM   in reply to LadyAmada

Never? Really? Here's one of your previous pics enhanced. That doc is/was CMYK.

P5250011.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 1:55 PM   in reply to LadyAmada

When you initiated the document, the New dialog settings may have included CMYK.

However, simply inspecting the Image > Mode submenu, without picking RGB, should not have magically switched the mode from CMYK to RGB.

Anyway, now that your menu does have RGB ticked, does the doc tab now say RGB and is PNG now available as a save format?

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 3:33 PM   in reply to LadyAmada

LadyAmada wrote:

If you had read my initial problems/questions when I started this thread on May 17 [...]

There's no "if" about it. I did read the entire thread.

8 days after your initial post, you posted a screenshot of a CMYK doc along with a complaint of being unable to save the doc to PNG. I replied to that.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 26, 2013 7:35 PM   in reply to LadyAmada

LadyAmada, you implied you didn't cause the change to CMYK, while Conroy knows through experience that Photoshop isn't seen to just change RGB documents to CMYK on its own.  Therefore it's quite likely something you somehow did inadvertently.  We all fat-finger controls from time to time - it happens.

Please understand that removing and reinstalling the application doesn't normally wipe out all remembered settings or knowledge of the states things were in before the uninstall and reinstall.  That information is kept, unless you specifically seek it out and destroy it, or force Photoshop itself to reset all its settings to defaults.

If you'd like to try to discover why it happened, please describe exactly how you came to have that CMYK document open.  A number of us (especially conroy) are good at reconstructing possible scenarios that could have led to the result seen.  In fact, it's possible he's already figured it out, in post 31, given what I said about settings not being reset.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 31, 2013 8:25 PM   in reply to LadyAmada

LadyAmada wrote:

My initial Problem A still exists though... my files still show up as a white piece of paper with the small PSE icon in the center, instead of the full, blue PSE icon. 

Like thus:

Capture 4Adobe Forum, #2.JPG

If possible, I would appreciate some suggestion on how to get that fixed.  Thank you.

I'm afraid I can't help you with that; as for quite a long time all mine are thumbnails courtesy the codec pack I've bought, and I don't have Photoshop Elements installed.  Here's hoping someone else may be able to help with that...

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points