Skip navigation
Filmer J
Currently Being Moderated

Can't get any video file types to work in AE. Help!

May 18, 2013 8:59 AM

First off, I would like to apologise if the solution to my problem is rather obvious, which is probably the case. 

I recently instaled AE CS6 and have been unable to even begin to learn the program because I can not get any type of video file to play. I read about codec issues, so I tried different formats (avi, mp4, etc), but I have had no such luck with any of them. And no, I don't have K-Lite installed, BTW. The only thing I can think of that might be installed on my computer that could possibly cause a codec issue would be my GOM player if it installs codecs automatically? But I only installed the default player.

Anyway, this is what I'm looking at: I import a video file and I can hear the audio, but I see nothing. Then, if I export it, I can see the finished video (in my GOM player) but there is now no audio!

I am stuck. S.O.S. please send help.

In case it helps, I am running Windows 8 with a dedicated NVidia video card, 16 GB of RAM, and a quadcore processor.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 17, 2013 11:31 PM   in reply to Filmer J

Well, you could just uninstall GOM and then reinstall AE to find out? And read this:

FAQ: Why is there no audio (sound) in my output file?

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2013 9:01 AM   in reply to Filmer J

> I recently instaled AE CS6 and have been unable to even begin to learn the program because I can not get any type of video file to play.

Tell us exactly what steps you're taking, including exactly which keys you're pressing and what commands you're clicking.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 4:34 PM   in reply to Filmer J

The most common cause of this kind of problem is a 3rd party codec or video player. They can play havoc with the system and prevent AE from processing video and audio properly because they re-route the decoding of the video and audio to their own software. With the thousands of developers out there all trying to improve things there's no way for all of the combinations be be tested or incorporated.

If I were a betting man I'd wager that removing the GOM player completely will solve your problems.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 5:09 PM   in reply to Filmer J

In your screenshot in 5a, your current-time indicator (playhead) isn't within the time span of your layer, so there's no image data to show at that time. Show us a screenshot of what happens when you place the current-time indicator at a time within the layer.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 5:18 PM   in reply to Filmer J

Show us an example with something other than an AVI file using the DVSD codec. That is not a typical production codec, and it may be that After Effects is just unable to handle this non-standard codec.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 6:56 PM   in reply to Filmer J

Something is definitely interfering with the decoding of video files. I think that Rick is onto something with his suspicions regarding the GOM player.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 12:14 AM   in reply to Filmer J

Download GSpot. Mediainfo or a similar tool and show us the list of all your CoDecs on your system. As the otehrs said, something is seriously messing with your CoDecs system-wide.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 1:49 AM   in reply to Filmer J

Looks all perfectly normal. I'm really at a loss what's going on....

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 11:49 PM   in reply to Filmer J

Something is really screwed on your system, but we really have exhausted all options that remote help on a forum can provide. It would probably be easier to just rebuild the system than spending anotrehr week trying to resolve the issue by finding the culprit...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points