Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Problem with audio when adding video to APE 11

May 18, 2013 7:06 AM

I am trying to edit a 'Friends' episode and when I added it to APE 11 I can't hear the dialogue. I can hear the audience laughing and sound effects, but no sounds coming out of the characters.

The video format is a VOB file.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 18, 2013 7:19 AM   in reply to jennifer3211

What device did you use to record this program? What format and resolution is it?

When you open the file in a program like G Spot or Media Info, what codecs does it show for your audio and video?

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2013 7:32 AM   in reply to jennifer3211

jennifer3211

As far as I have ever read, Premiere Elements (any version) does not supported protected DVD-VIDEO. So, please check your source to rule that in or out at the onset in the troubleshooting plan.

With that factor ruled out of the way, your answers to SG's questions will be the essential start to the troubleshooting to solve your issue.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2013 7:52 AM   in reply to jennifer3211

Welcome to the forum.

As you can hear part of the Audio, my first thought would be that the Audio might be 5.1 SS, or 6-channels of Audio in a single Stream. It sounds like you are getting only the RS (Right Surround, or Right rear) and LS (Left Surround, or Left rear) and NOT the RF (Right Front), LF (Left Front) and C (Center) channels. With 5.1 SS from a TV show, most dialog will be in the C, with some in the RF and LF.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2013 6:54 PM   in reply to jennifer3211

jennifer3211

You wrote

it's not copyrighted because he managed to get rid of that

If protection was removed from the original, how that was done could be impacting on what was given to you and how Premiere Elements is responding to it. I would prefer not to go there.

A MediaInfo readout might be one approach to getting at what you have

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

since it appears to me to be a very non typical PAL VOB from a non typical DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc.

Until proven otherwise, I am reading your screenshot to say...

This is a PAL based MPEG2.VOB with a frame size of 720 x 576. There are no clues that I see as to whether this is supposed to be standard 4:3 or 16:9. Moreover, it is showing the frame rate of 50 frames per second. I have never come across a VOB with a frame rate of 50 frames per second. For PAL, 25 interlaced frames per second, yes.

Then for the audio format.

Codec: A52 Audio (aka  AC3) (a52)

Channels 3F2R

Based on what I have read, that is probably Dolby Digital 5.1 channel audio.

Because of the unknown history on the video that you have and complications there from, I do not believe I can help you further. Perhaps

Hunt will have other thoughts on the matter.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 3:44 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

The 50 FPS is a stumper to me, as well.

As for the channel-count of the Audio, it could well be 5.1, and the utility is missing the LFE, or it could be a variation, at 5.0, with no LFE feed.

As to how to address the 3F2R (3 Front channels, Left, Right & Center, and 2 Rear, LS & RS), I am not sure what one would need to do, to extract those 5 channels as discrete mono Streams.

Sorry, but I am out of ideas too.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 8:32 PM   in reply to jennifer3211

>not copyrighted because he managed to get rid of that

Yes it is, and no he didn't... he can't

CopyRIGHT is ownership... the studio and/or network owns the video

Copy PROTECTION is used to keep people from stealing the video

Using a program to remove copy protection does not change the copyright... it is still owned by the studio and/or network

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points