Skip navigation
ArnalPhotography
Currently Being Moderated

Conflict with Nikon D800 and CS6

May 18, 2013 8:39 AM

Tags: #error #cs6 #d800

I have been having an issue with files from my D800 when opening them in Photoshop CS6. I should note that this issue has never been a problem with any other camera that I have owned and used with CS6 (D3200, D7000, D80, Kodak Pro SLR N, Hasselblad H3D).

When attempting to open a number of files, ONLY from the D800, I seem to be limited to 10 or 11 files max. Once it loads that quantity I get an error message that it is out of resources. I had chalked it up to the tif files that I typically work with being 16-bit files at a little over 200MB each just being too large to open in any higher quantity.

Last evening I shot a graduation party for a friend and had inadvertently set the camera to shoot "basic" (lowest possible quality) jpg's at a file size of about 3MB each (still 7830 X 4912px). When I tried to load them into photoshop to do some dust clean-up and a few minor tweaks I was surprised to find that it still would only open 10 files before giving me the same error message.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, I would appreciate hearing how you may have adjusted settings in either the camera or in CS6 to resolve this issue. Again, it has never been an issue with any other camera I have used, and the Hassy is 39MP so file size shouldn't be the problem. It seems to be something in conflict between photoshop and files from that specific camera. To further elaborate and head off the next question, yes, this seems to happen with other D800's as well as I have rented a couple of others while this one was at Nikon for warranty repair and those cameras had the same issue with CS6.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 18, 2013 3:34 PM   in reply to ArnalPhotography

I'm not on a machine right now that has cs6, but for what it's worth i tried 13 d800 16 bits/channel tiff files at 7360 x 4912

and they all opened at once on a windows vista x64 machine using the 64 bit version of photoshop cs5 without any error messages.

I guess we need more info like what operating system your using, version of photoshop cs6.

How much ram does your system have?

These are camera raw files you had saved to 16 bits/channel tiffs and do they have more than one layer?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 18, 2013 5:14 PM   in reply to ArnalPhotography

It might be good if you could do a Help - System Info, copy the info (it's long), and paste it here.  That would answer a lot of questions and potentially lead to some other suggestions.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,017 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    May 19, 2013 5:52 AM   in reply to ArnalPhotography

ArnalPhotography wrote:

Noel, here is the information for you. Hopefully it's helpful.

Serial number: 91198181452695744567
    Application folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\
    Temporary file path: C:\Users\Arnalpix\AppData\Local\Temp\
    Photoshop scratch has async I/O enabled
    Scratch volume(s):
      C:\, 570.1G, 370.0G free
    Required Plug-ins folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Required\
    Primary Plug-ins folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Plug-ins\
    Additional Plug-ins folder: not set

It looks like your running the 32 Bit version of Photoshop and are running out of resources.  Have you tried the 64 bit version of Photoshop?  The 64 bit version of Photoshop can utilize your machine resources better then the 32 bit Photoshop version.  It should be installed in "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\"

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 19, 2013 8:11 AM   in reply to ArnalPhotography

ArnalPhotography wrote:

>Camera Raw 7.3

You might try updating Camera Raw to 7.4, the current release.  It may be that Adobe fixed a bug.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 19, 2013 8:44 AM   in reply to ArnalPhotography

There are problems with View NX and metadata and other issuse.  Read this blog for details.  http://blog.dafyddowen.com/2013/01/06/d800-nikon-transfer-view-nx-warn ing/

Problems corrected with View NX2

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    May 19, 2013 10:34 AM   in reply to ArnalPhotography

Hello, how were the Hasselblad files opened? Though Camera Raw? Are you sure it was in the 32 bits version of Photoshop?

Don't get confused by the filesize of the jpgs, when they are opened in Photoshop, they are uncompressed, and much closer to the 200 MB tiffs. If you have many presets, they also eat memory... Add to the fact that you are using the 32 bits version of Photoshop, and you might eat all the available RAM, but then, once all this cache has been used, it should just switch to Photoshop's main memory file, its scratch disk.

Therefore, I'm wondering if it is not another possible problem: it might be the graphic card that cannot withstand that many pixels to be displayed. (Note that your display driver is two years old, is there an update available?) Maybe is it more taxing for the video card to show 7830 x 4912 pixels rather than the 7212x5412 pixels from the Hasselblad

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    May 28, 2013 2:58 AM   in reply to ArnalPhotography

Bump, any progress?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...