Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS6 memory problem with brushes !

May 19, 2013 5:52 PM

I just started using this new version of photoshop it seems nice and all, But when I go to use one of my custom brushes I have thats lighting on another layer and there is only 5 layers and the 5th one I can not add my brush effect of lighting to it.

comes up with a not enough memory...

now I built my own Desktop pc it had 8 cores AMD processor 4.0ghz and 32.gb quad core ram !... and I am running windows 8 pro on my main HD I am using right now.

I never had this problem with the old photoshop cs 5 version at all.

why didn't they test out 90% of all the bugs before releasing this app ?

I am paying for this monthly and this needs to be fixed asap !!!

I need this for my business I do online creating graphics and digital art.

if this is not fix within the next week fast. I will just cancel my membership and demand my money back and just go back to using photoshop CS 5 again.

I went to this version cause they mentioned in the information about it that it's more suited for Wacom pen tablet intuos 5 multi touch.

so it seems theres a memory leak in this version of photoshop and they really need to fix it fast.

if they don't fix it fast I will do as I said I would and plus I will also spam this about the app being poorly coded and programmed all over the net. !! even on youtube and record my use of it and how it has so many bad error's in it.

so the entire world can view it and see for them self.

and set as a warning not to buy this app till at least 3 years down the road when they have every thing fixed in it in another version of it, like always !

cause of this I feel cheated and ripped off !

Message title was edited by: PECourtejoie to avoid confusion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 18, 2013 11:49 AM   in reply to commando991

Photoshop CC won't be available until June 17.

There are no known memory leaks like that in Photoshop CS6 or CC.

We have seen leaks in video card drivers and some third party plugins.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,480 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 18, 2013 11:58 AM   in reply to commando991

It would be useful if you'd choose Help - System Info, copy the data, and post it here.  Those in the know could review your Photoshop version, display driver version, and list of installed plug-ins for any known issues, and potentially make useful suggestions.

I don't blame you for being frustrated, but you should know that many users who come here with problems ultimately determine that the problems stem from something specific on their system that needs attention and are not Photoshop issues at all.  As Chris has mentioned, many folks are using the same Photoshop version you are and are not experiencing out-of-memory issues.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 3:27 PM   in reply to commando991

commando991 wrote:

and I want to hear this from a real Adobe tech that programed the ap it self not a outsider.

Chris is a Photoshop engineer...and Noel is a regular who has helped hundreds of people here. So, you might want to adjust your attitude and help them help you.

FYI, when you bought into the Creative Cloud recently, you got the then "current" version of Photoshop which is CS6. When the next version of Photoshop is released on June 17th or so, you'll get the new version as a free upgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 3:35 PM   in reply to commando991

An no, other users have not reported such a problem.

Photoshop CS6 (aka Photoshop 13) is not the same thing as Photoshop CC (aka Photoshop 14) which will be released on June 17.

Have you installed all the Photoshop updates?  You should be on 13.1.2.

And you can read the system info to verify that it won't show anything sensitive.

>> add a new brush effect to it,

Ok, that makes no sense - brushes are tools, not effects.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 4:23 PM   in reply to commando991

The very first reply, #1, was from an Adobe employee.  There will not be a new program version “fix in the next week, fast”.  The issues you’re having may in fact have been encountered before, by others, so there may be a solution, but you are not going to get to talk to a member of the large development team about it, directly.

If you feel there is something personally identifiable about some of the System Info then remove it before you post the rest of it.  The details about graphics driver versions and amount of memory and other benign information is what people want to see to try to find something to help you.  They don’t need your IP address or username which is what a hacker might be able to use.

The next version of PS comes out June 17.  Use CS5 until then.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    May 19, 2013 5:51 PM   in reply to commando991

Hello, I can understand your frustration if you run into problems.

As for the reaction of the other posters, they were confused because it seemed like you were using a version CC that's not yet released, when in fact you are using CS6.

Chris Cox has a "staff" label, because he works for Adobe, and more specifically, he writes Photoshop.

There is no personal info in Photoshop's help>System info. At the worst,  your username, that you could edit out.

Chris might need the info about third party plug-ins, the videocard (BTW, what card are you using?) that you are using, as he said that some drivers have leaks, so it might be useful if the driver you use is known to cause problems.

Could you please give more informations about your custom brush, its size, and what you mean by lighting on another layer, you mean using the lighting blending mode?

Your processor is well an AMD Piledriver 8350, and not an overclocked one? Is the memory running at the default speed?

In CS5, the brush size was limited to 2500 pixels, are you comparing with the same size in CS6?

What do you mean by "when I res a image for a design I made that should be 4.5mb tops from old photoshop cs5 version this version makes out to res as 39.5mb."

Are you talking about the size of the saved file? when you open one file, do you see (RBG/8) or (RGB/16) after its filename on its titlebar. It could explain a filesize difference, because the compression for 16 bits files makes way bigger files than 8 bit ones. We need to clear that as well.

Sorry for the many questions, but we do not see your computer, so we need some data to help you fix the problem.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,480 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 20, 2013 4:38 PM   in reply to commando991

commando991 wrote:

saving the image aka res simple !

when I saved the image there is two settings to save as you all know .

none/fast and smallest/slow and non ,interlace

I noticed when you save a file if you don't choice smallest/slow and none your file saves is compressed more and saved as a smaller MB size and if chose none/fast and none large MB size file size.

I don't see why they did this for old photoshop cs 5 does not have and all images and files was compressed small and takes up less MB store space !

its a useless feature.

You need to learn to express yourself in plain and correct English, because what you've written above is nonsense.  If English is not your first language, I suggest you try using your native language, because nobody has any idea what you're talking about.

Perhaps you're just here to vent your frustration with life in general.  Nobody cares to hear your complaints.  However, a lot of us here would like to help, but you don't want to give enough info to facilitate that, nor does it sound like you want to put any effort into trying to figure out why your system isn't properly supporting what you want to do.

By the way, there is no such thing as quad core RAM.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,480 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 21, 2013 11:11 PM   in reply to commando991

LOL, I need say nothing more; I believe you've said all that needs to be said.

Best of luck getting help.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    May 22, 2013 3:34 PM   in reply to commando991

Hi! It might help if you stated that you were saving in Png. Yes before it was automatically the compressed version being written, and now you get a choice, some users with a fast storage sub system writing huge png files might prefer to save a bigger, uncompressed version rather than to wait for the compression.

Sorry if we did not get the "res" slang for save, first time I hear that in 13 years I help people here...

Back to the painting issue you still haven't given the size of the brushes that you use, I pointed out that the maximum size is bigger in CS6, hence it is possible that it would tax more the system.

Also, you haven't posted the contents of help>system info that would give the necessary informations to troubleshoot your system.

Again, strip th info that you find could be used to identify you, or strip the obfuscated serial number.

Noel is not harassing you, he pointed out that there is no such thing as quad core ram, as you rightfully said in part of your message, there are quad core CPUs and quad channel RAM, but no quad core ram, it is just a question of using common terminology to be understood easily, and get faster answers, rather than trying to decypher what you mean.

If you want to get help, please adopt a less confrontational tone. Again, I understand your frustration, but venting on us will not help you, au contraire!

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 6:03 PM   in reply to commando991

commando991 wrote:

and so sorry I will not post my systems info on here !!!

there are other ways to give advice without !

On the forum we generally ask for the system info (although only the first part is necessary) as many users do not know what they have, or tell us one thing and it turns out to be false.  The PS version is out of date, the computer has multiple dissimilar video cards, all the ram is dedicated to PS, insufficient RAM, insufficient VRAM, and so forth.  So with out seeing it in print we are guessing and you might as well save everyone time and just analyze it yourself.  You can get a lot of info just web searching.

We even ask for screen shots for the same reason.  We can not see what you see, and users descriptons usually miss items because they don't know it is important. 

So if you do not want to provide requested info that is your choice, but after thousands of posts I can tell you these forums are the best place to find answers.  But it is a two way street.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,480 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 22, 2013 10:10 PM   in reply to commando991

Just to clear a few things up...

I have stated facts.  Perhaps I didn't do so as politely as I could have, but if you come to a forum with an attitude - as you have - you should expect to get some attitude in return.  If, by contrast, you choose to treat people with respect, you will get more respectful conversation.

My participation here is voluntary and sincere, because I really do like helping folks.  To the best of my knowledge, anyone with an Adobe ID who chooses to contribute here is welcome to do so.  Since you choose to continue to bring up my name, I choose to continue contributing to this thread.

In my posts above, I have encouraged you to express yourself more clearly.  I reiterate that again now, so that you can get better and more accurate help from the good people here.  As some of the others have said, you will not find a better venue for working out Photoshop-related problems.  But based on the other responses above, your use of slang, incomplete, or inaccurate language is apparently confusing the other experts who would most like to help you as well.

Please answer the specific questions posed to you.

I gather your primary issue is that you're painting with some custom brush (which you have not given much info about) and after some unspecified number of strokes on a pixel layer you get "not enough memory to apply new brush effect" error messages...

• Is it the standard Brush Tool that you're painting with (opposed to the Mixer Brush)?  How big is the brush?
    • What settings for the Brush Tool are you using?  Have you tried resetting the tool to see if the problems are averted?
    • Are you painting with the stylus on your tablet, mouse, finger on a touch screen, or what?
    • Is the custom brush you're using particularly complex?  Is it publicly available should someone want to try to reproduce what you're seeing with that same brush?
    • Is there any way you could share a PSD of the document in which you're able to reproduce this problem?  If it turns out to be a bona fide Photoshop bug, the quickest way to get it fixed is to show the engineers how to reproduce it in no uncertain terms.  Rest assured that most people can paint on documents without encountering the errors you're reporting.
    • What display driver do you have, specifically?  The information is in the dataset displayed when you choose Help - System Info from within Photoshop.  The question needs to be asked, because there are several different ways to keep drivers "up to date", and there are times when the latest "up to date" driver is actually not the best one to use.
    • Do you have 3rd party plug-ins installed into Photoshop?  If so, have you tried disabling them to see if the problem is averted.  Display driver problems and trouble with 3rd party plug-ins are responsible for the lion's share of Photoshop trouble.

Is a secondary problem that you feel Photoshop CS6 is saving files that are larger than those you were getting from Photoshop CS5...

• What format are these files?  JPEG?
    • Are you using File - Save As, or File - Save for Web?
    • Have you tried opening the very same master document, and saving with the same parameters from both Photoshop CS6 and CS5?  If so, and you're seeing a difference in resultant file size, could you please list the specifics for that one file?

Because others don't experience the problems you describe, I believe there is something not right with your system or the settings for the two different versions of Photoshop are somehow different in a way that you may be overlooking. 

You should understand that even though your system may run Photoshop CS5 well, Photoshop CS6 puts more demands on the graphics processor.  You wouldn't be the first person to have what seem like Photoshop problems but which turn out to be display driver bugs that can be solved by installing a different display driver version.  Display drivers get updates all the time because they're so incredibly complex, and the driver writers are constantly fixing bugs.

And don't discount the possibility that a plug-in may be interfering with your painting.  Not all plug-in writers get everything right, and a lot of them try to do things they're not really supposed to do, using undocumented interfaces.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    May 27, 2013 4:31 AM   in reply to commando991

Glad to read you are all set!

Could you please share the solution, so that it might also help others? (that's the point of a forum)

Was it the Preferences>performance settings?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,480 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 27, 2013 9:30 AM   in reply to commando991

commando991 wrote:

cause you was up set I would not post my system info' on here.

I am not "up set" nor have I been upset.  I genuinely wanted to help.  When an expert offers help, but the person asking for help decides that they don't want to give essential information that would facilitate that help there's little more that can be done.  I assume you provided the required information to the Adobe tech.

It would be especially nice of you toward all others who might come along and read this thread if you'd describe what really fixed your problems.

Thank you.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points