Skip navigation
Bob L Lamb
Currently Being Moderated

I have exported a one-hour choral concert edited in Premiere Pro CS6 to Encore, but Encore crashes?

May 18, 2013 1:00 PM

Tags: #cs #encore #6

I have completed editing a multicam shoot of a one-hour choral concert.  I have exported it to Encore, but Encore keeps crashing.  How to solve problem?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 18, 2013 1:02 PM   in reply to Bob L Lamb

How exactly did you export?

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2013 1:03 PM   in reply to Bob L Lamb

Bob,

Welcome to the forum.

Can you please explain the exact steps used to get your PrPro Project into Encore?

Also, is your PrPro Project using a DV Preset, or is it starting in HD?

The more details, the better.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 11:34 AM   in reply to Bob L Lamb

Hi Bob,

Adobe has always recommended a dedicated drive for Premiere - one should not be using the C: drive for that. Prefereably a 7200-rpm SATA drive internally, or a fast external solution (eSATA, FW800, USB 3.0). This drive could also be used for Encore of course.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 1:00 PM   in reply to Bob L Lamb

Bob,

I recently responded to a similar question with the following answer, which applies to the specific question the OP asked, but you will understand the issues:

Imagine a very popular nightclub, that opens at 10 PM and long rows of people are waiting to come in.

If that nightclub only has a single door that can be used by single person only at one time, used for both entry and exit, you can imagine the waiting for people outside can be long or people inside waiting to exit. The first thing to do is make another door, one for entry only and one for exit only. That reduces the queues. The next thing to do is create multiple doors, let's say two on the North side, one for entry and one for exit, plus two doors on the South side, again one for entry and one for exit.

I imagine you get the drift. Well, each door is like a physical SATA connection, traffic can only go in one direction at a time and the people or data on either side of the door or SATA connection have to wait. That is a simple reason why more disks are better for the multitude of tasks that need to be performed during editing. The more doors or SATA connections, the less waiting there is and the more enjoyable it is.

The C: drive for OS & programs and pagefile is mostly used for reading and housekeeping, the staff only entrance.

Other drive(s) or doors are used for projects, media, media cache, previews and exports. The slower the drive, the narrower the door, the faster the disk, the wider the door. How to organize access to the drives depends on your editing style and material, just like the number of doors in the nightclub depend on the number of visitors and their visiting patterns.

If you do smallish projects with rather easy codecs and limited or no multicam editing, the system requirements are not very hard, but if you do large and complex projects with difficult codecs and lots of multicam editing, you need a much sturdier system. A small nightclub out in the country requires less doors than a huge nightclub in a big city that caters to movie stars, celebrities and other VIP's, especially if they use the latest and greatest in presentation technology (of course with corresponding prices).

I keep coming back to this nightclub, because I think the analogy works quite well to explain that there is not one answer that suites all needs. Basically it boils down to available budget and the circumstances you are in.  Now, with a 500 GB disk available, I assume your system is not the latest. I would keep it simple, forget a SSD for the moment as a boot disk, it may be overkill in your current system, and get as many 1+ TB Seagate 7200.14 or WD Caviar Blacks as your budget allows (up to 5). When you buy a new system in the future, you can take these disks along to the new system.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points