Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Making eyes like in the movie Cars

May 18, 2013 5:38 PM

I am attempting to make eyes on cars like in the movie Cars. Which will also be lyp sync to have them talk as well. I thought AE would be the place do it all. However, It may not.

I started thinking on the Mask approach of it, then thought what about eyelids? In the pic you can see the shape mask for the whites of the eyes... Then adding another solid and make the Pupils, eye lids.

I would like to think production on this since the eyes are identical I would like to be ablt to just make one eye Duplicate it, and reverse it to fit in the other side. I then thought I should maybe make my assets in AI or PS to import and flip as necessary. Thoughts on this challenge? Using AE or is this too much keying for AE and I should make it with ToonBoom (Which I do not care for although I own the software) Plus having to bring it back in for lip sync and blinking when reacting to the Voice over...

eyeMask.PNG

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 18, 2013 3:48 PM   in reply to Netcommercial

There are all kinds of ways to do this. I would make the pupils separate layers, and if you want blinks I'd make a separate comp that was just a blink. You then can use time remapping to animate the blinks. You could tie the pupils of both eyes to a null and then use motion sketch to animate the placement of the eyes in real time. None of this is hard, it's all just basic animation. AE has very easy tools to use to set keyframes if you just do a little digging.

I was also noticing your mask on the headlight. Way too many vertices. With RotoBezier or Bezier masks you should only need about 8 points, maybe 10 to mask the headlights.

Try something like this. I used shape layers for the whites, used a copy of the whites as track mattes for pupils, and parented the left pupil to the right eye. A few keyframes on the right eye and you're set.

EYES.jpeg

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2013 7:43 PM   in reply to Netcommercial

Take a look at this tutorial on using Time Remapping for Lip Sync. Substitute Eyelids for a mouth and you've got it.

Be sure to watch part 2

Robs tutorials are just the first that came up in a search. There are a bunch but these should get you started.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2013 8:48 PM   in reply to Netcommercial

The pupils are just shape layers. So are the whites of the eyes. I saved out the project for you to look at. You'll find it here. It should get you started.

If you're completely lost then take a look at the getting started page here.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 1:08 AM   in reply to Netcommercial

Hi man,

some completely off topic links - off topic, as they dont cover the type of animation you are looking for here, but worthwhile, simply because I think they are awesome, and would love to use them myself!

Animate a photorealistic Eye:

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorial/eye_replacement/

and

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorial/3d_eyeball/

and a series of incrdibly detailed animation tutorials:

http://blip.tv/aetutsplus/character-rigging-and-animation-intro-558755 9 - this on eis a 17 part tutorial. Once again, very involved, but I think if you have some free time over a weekend, check it out!

Pierre

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 11:32 PM   in reply to Netcommercial

Great!

Keep checking his stuff, I learned to create the planet earth template we are using for our project from his shows.

Oh yes, Have you checked out Andrew Devis on Creative Cow? He has a great AE and Premier tutorial set. Extremely detailed and helpful.

Cheers man.

Pierre

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points