Skip navigation
LST
Currently Being Moderated

Video Frame Capture

May 18, 2013 2:37 PM

Tags: #premiere_elements_11

Can you capture individual video frames for sharing or printing using Premiere Elements?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 18, 2013 2:49 PM   in reply to LST

LST

Yes.

But, what version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running.

With those details, we can give you more specific details of the process. There is even a way to get all the frames of your video as freeze frames at one time as well as to get one frame of your video as a freeze frame. There are two places in the program that freeze frame, one will give you a .bmp freeze frame, another will give you the ..jpg freeze frame.

We will watch for additional information from you if you want specifics.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 12:36 PM   in reply to LST

LST

One at a time freeze frame grab....ending up with .bmp image on Timeline, in Project Assets, and a copy in Documents Adobe Folder/Premiere Elements/11 (default)

Timeline Indicator at position of frame to be grabbed

Tools Menu/Freeze Frame or Toots Tab/Freeze Frame at bottom of interface

Freeze Frame dialog/Insert in Movie

There are other options in the Freeze Frame dialog for you to explore, such as Export and Edit with Photoshop Elements after inserting.

Also, you can get a jpeg freeze frame if, after placing the Timeline Indicator at the spot for the frame grab, you go to Publish+Share/Computer/Image. There you can use the default settings for your choice or customize under the Advanced Button of the preset.

Another interesting aspect of the Publish+Share/Computer/Image route is that you can get a freeze frame for all the frames of your video (all at one time) by putting a check mark next to the option Export as Sequence in the Export Settings dialog under the Advanced Button of the preset used. Lots to explore.

Please review and then let us know if you have any further questions on this.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 4:40 PM   in reply to LST

ATR has given you excellent, detailed directions for the two methods of doing Freeze Frame Still Images.

One caveat would be that when printing, I would go the BMP route, rather than JPEG, to keep what quality you have, uncompressed - BMP will be a larger file, but will be uncompressed, where the JPEG option will compress.

Also, Video is basically at screen resolution, and is only a few pixels x pixels. Do not plan on printing a very large Image from a Video Freeze Frame, as you will probably not be pleased with the quality.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 5:12 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt

What I think that we both forgot to include....frame grabs from video sometimes need to be deinterlaced for better results. If they look OK, I say leave them as is.  I do not see where a send back to Photoshop Elements 11 Full Editor/Filter/Video/de-interlace would be appropriate anymore since that option seems to have disappeared in Photoshop Elements 11 Full Editor. What might be explored if necessary for deinterlacing, is Premiere Elements 11's Field Options/Always Interlace applied to the frame grab on the Timeline.

Interestingly, photos from camera do not have fields, so consideration in this regard for them would not be expected.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 5:13 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

You are correct - depending on the source Video.

Good catch,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 5:30 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

Just one other thing that I want mention for clarification purposes. Not sure where you were driving at with

Also, Video is basically at screen resolution, and is only a few pixels x pixels. Do not plan on printing a very large Image from a Video Freeze Frame, as you will probably not be pleased with the quality.

If you do that freeze frame grab in the Premiere Elements 11 Edit area with Tools/Freeze Frame, the resolution of the .bmp image will be that of the project settings (project preset/new project dialog). So, in Premiere Elements 11 with the NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30 project settings, all the freeze frames with Tools/Freeze frame will be 1920 x 1080 pixels .bmp. And, if you use the Publish+Share/Computer/Image, the freeze frames there (jpegs) have a preset for 1920 x 1080 as well as for other possible sizes.

ATR.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 5:41 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

The Frame Size of the Freeze Frame WILL match the Frame Size of the Project. However, when Opened in Photoshop, or most Image-editing software, it will show up with the pixel x pixel dimensions @ ~ 72 PPI. When printing, that 72 PPI, translated to DPI, will not be producing a really sharp print.

If, say one wished to print an 8 x 10 inch Image on a desktop, inkjet printer, that looked really good, they would want an Image that was 3000 x 2400 @ 300 PPI/DPI, though that might depend on the exact printer used (some do a very nice job at only 240 PPI/DPI).

If one wished to go larger than 8 x 10 inches, then the quality will definitely be lower, and easily seen.

If one is printing, say a 4 x 6 inch/5 x 7 inch Image, then things will usually be OK, provided that they are starting with a 1920 x 1080 Frame Size. If they are starting with 720 x 480, then there will be an even greater quality hit.

If quality is considered, I would not choose the JPEG option, but that is probably more personal, as I do not like the JPEG compression, and avoid it, unless a client demands JPEG. I choose PNG, or TIFF, if the client cannot use a PSD. Some people do not see the JPEG compression, but maybe I spent too many years doing high-end advertising photography, to really love it.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points