Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why is After Effects modifying my footage files?

May 18, 2013 5:39 PM

I have a project checked into a source code repository and the footage files (mostly WAVs) are a certain size. When I open my After Effects project that contains them, the file size is changing (by about a kilobyte)!

Our footage files are on network-attached storage and many render machines open and modify this template project (and save a customized version to a unique file elsewhere). This file size change causes unnecessary NFS traffic and repository bloat.

Why is After Effects doing this and how do I stop it?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 18, 2013 4:33 PM   in reply to Dave@Vehicle

AE can't really change source files because they are just references and cannot be saved or saved over by AE unless you choose Edit Original. In that case your default sound editing program would open and you could change the source file when you save the modified files.

Where are you seeing this size discrepancy? It it's just between the Browser and AE's Project panel then that may be just a display anomaly.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 18, 2013 5:41 PM   in reply to Dave@Vehicle

If you have the Write XMP IDs preference enabled, After Effects will write an identifier into the file when it is imported. You can turn this off by disabling the preference.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points