Skip navigation
liljackyp
Currently Being Moderated

HELP! I cant get my serial number activated on new computer!

May 19, 2013 1:01 AM

Tags: #cs4 #help #install #extended

My windows 7 motherboard died. I took it into Best Buy to Geek Squad to see if they could fix it and they did a complete restore! AND I didnt have a chance to deactivate my serial numbers for the software I had. The Geek Squad tech told me that wasnt a problem, that when they restored it, that deactivates my programs--but my NEW Windows 8 computer keeps giving me an error telling me my serial number is invalid!

I went on CHAT with Adobe to see what they can do, since they have record of me registering my CS4 Extended years ago. BUT she tells me that they cant do anything to help now! NOTHING! I had her talk to a supervisor and she came back and told me there was nothing they could do, that I had to buy new software! How can this be?! I even gave them my barcode to my original box and they say that wont work. I dont have my original receipt because Ive moved since then and cant find it.

Has anyone dealt with this before? What optons do I have? I dont have the $ to buy new software now. I cant be the only person that has had a computer crash on them!

Any ideas?

Thanks so much! Im pretty desperate

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 19, 2013 2:07 AM   in reply to liljackyp

Refer to this:

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/error-serial-number-valid-pro duct.html

And your geek tech has it wrong. Restoring a system or changing components does not deactivate anything, it merely invalidates a previous activation, requiring to call support to reset activation count. Other than that you could merely be seeing compatibility issues, so try compatibility modes.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 19, 2013 5:50 AM   in reply to liljackyp

Did you possibly register it under a different e-mail address?

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,049 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    May 19, 2013 6:33 AM   in reply to liljackyp

liljackyp wrote:

I bought a new ASUS Windows 8 Desktop and explained that to the woman in Chat but she said the numbers on my original software case (that I typed in for her)  were invalid, but they worked fine with my last computer years ago. Apparently when I sign in to my Adobe ID, it shows that I have never registered any software! I have no idea why this is. In any case, she wasnt willing to work with me at all.

Where did you get your copy of Photoshop?  When you Activate Photoshop Adobe's Activation Server should add Activation files onto you system and register your serial number into your Adobe ID account. You should be able to logon to your Adobe account and look at what Product you have registered and retrieve your serial numbers. I have been using Photoshop from 1995 I may have missed registering PS3 and PS5 but since the CS version registration has been part of the installation process.

AP.jpg

Message was edited by: JJMack

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,049 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    May 21, 2013 8:43 AM   in reply to liljackyp

If you have the CS6 DVD the Adobe serial number should be on a sticker on the small inner Adobe box the DVD came on the Bar code on the big box is not it.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,049 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    May 22, 2013 3:52 AM   in reply to liljackyp

liljackyp wrote:

These are the same numbers that I put in when I first bought and activated it the first time, so I dont get it. She didnt say that these numbers appear to be activated on another computer, just that they were invalid--Im guessing thats the same thing.

Not the same thing at all.  The label with the serial number, numbers should work if they are valid.  If its has been used twice it can not be activated till one has been deactivated. If you can not deactivate one you call Adobe and explain your recovering from a machine failure and need their help. I have done that twice in all the time I been using Photoshop. 

Adobe support is telling you the numbers are not invalid.  I find it hard to believe that Fry's would sell foraged Photoshop. I have standard CS6 my serial does not start with the numbers you gave. But that means nothing.   Try installing again and make sure every number entered matches your sticker that states serial number. Something is wrong here.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points