Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Audio Effects Bug CS6

May 19, 2013 4:51 AM

Tags: #audio #windows #7 #cs6 #eq #dropout #pitchshifter

Why, when audio effects are applied, whether saved as a preset or generated afresh, do they drop out when the program is closed and have to be re-applied to every clip when I re-open CS6?

(I am a DSLR filmaker with a Mac background. I bought a W7, 3.40 i7 PC with a GTX650 and 16GB and registered to try Adobe Premiere CS6 with a view to paying the monthly payment of £17.66 in order to utilise the software’s capabilities (the native H.264 and the Mercury engine etc.). I am halfway through a big job and it is causing me a huge waste of time re-applying these minor Pitchshifter and EQ effects every time I restart.)

Replies
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    May 19, 2013 6:51 AM   in reply to adjohnson62

I have tried without success to replicate your problem using

both the Pitchshifter and the EQ Audio Effects.

Is your Premiere version updated to CS6.0.3?

Help > About Adobe Premiere Pro...

CS6.0.3.PNG

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 19, 2013 6:43 AM   in reply to adjohnson62

Tell us about your hard drive configurations and where your cache is stored. Is it possible that your drive letter's are shifting?

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    May 19, 2013 7:52 AM   in reply to adjohnson62

Is it possible to port the cache across to an external hard drive and have it there or does that involve running CS6 from that hard drive as well?

First off, missing Media Cache files will not have any bearing

on the disappearance of Audio Effects applied to clips

in your Timeline when re-opening your Project.

That said, it is considered a best practice to locate your

Media Cache Database and Media Cache Files on an

internal drive instead of using an external.

..every time I plug my external hard drive in it has a different letter. Why in hades would this be the case and what can I do to stop it,

Control Panel > Device Manager > Disk Management

Assign a dedicated drive letter to your external drive.

Otherwise, Windows will automatically assign the next available

drive letter to a newly connected drive, and depending on

what is connected to your system it will not always be the same.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    May 19, 2013 8:20 AM   in reply to adjohnson62

This is all fascinating stuff, but it does not really address the issue with the bug in CS6.

You're right!

You asked about disks, I answered (prefaced by saying

that this has no bearing on the problem at hand).

Is there any way to fix this without downloading an update to the program? I have 6.0.0.

...I don’t have an wi-fi card on that machine.

I am not certain, but you should be able to update a Trial installation.

Updating will require an internet connection to download the files.

In Premiere:

Help > Updates

Or, you can run 'Adobe Application Manager' to check for updates.

...will this work to fix the dropout of all the audio effects I add to my clips?

Maybe. The updates contain fixes.

As I said in post #1, I am unable to replicate your problem

using the most current version of CS6. (Windows - CS6.0.3)

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    May 19, 2013 8:23 AM   in reply to adjohnson62

Are you interested in finding a solution to the problem,

or simply looking for a place to rant?

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to adjohnson62

Try saving the project using "Save As" and after that use the Project Manager (in the Project menu) to make a copy in another directory.

One of those may save your work properly. I don't know. I have never had that problem, but give them both a try.

Sorry about the drive question. Joe is probably right. I was grasping at straws.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 9:15 AM   in reply to adjohnson62

No, it is not official. Just a user to user forum. However, we do have some Adobe staff members who keep an eye out and respond when they can. Not usually on weekends though.

I see you responded about the time I posted. I don't want you to miss my two suggestions.

Try saving the project using "Save As" and after that use the Project Manager (in the Project menu) to make a copy in another directory.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 9:26 AM   in reply to adjohnson62

Wow! I am so sorry you lost your work again before I thought of another possibility.

Research indicates it might be an XML problem, but before you go too far, try making just one or two changes to your project and then right click on the audio clip and select "Edit in Adobe Audition".

That should replace your file with what I believe will be a file that has the changes built in. If this works for you then you can at least continue on using this temporary workaround. Perhaps someone during the week will have a better answer.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 1:51 PM   in reply to adjohnson62

due to this bug in the program.

Not sure it is a bug.  I can't reproduce the error, and I don't recall this being commonly complained about.  Probably just a glitch in your system.

When you moved to Windows, did you build the computer yourself, or buy premade?

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 8:50 PM   in reply to adjohnson62

Did you try the "Edit in Audition" feature?

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 5:43 AM   in reply to adjohnson62

Dang! I keep forgetting that not everyone is on the Creative Cloud. Sorry about that. I have had Audition so long I don't think about it anymore.

I guess if that doesn't work, the solution would be to export the audio to a wav file yourself. But that bug is pretty odd. You would think we would have seen more complaints about it but not many people seem to experience it. Enough to need to have it fixed, certainly. Please make sure to submit a bug report. The more reports they get, the more likely it is to get fixed.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 5:55 AM   in reply to adjohnson62

The error message you got initially about missing plug-ins does not mean they have gone missing from your project.  The effects are still applied to the clips in your sequences.  They will show up as "Offline" in the Effect Controls Panel.  The error message means that Pr can't find the effects themselves in the effects folder. 

So first you have to go to the "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS6\Plug-ins\en_US\VSTPlugins" folder and make sure that the PitchShifter 1, 2 and 6 .dll files are there, and that the EQ1.dll file is there.  They will almost certainly exist since you can re-apply them.  But it's good to check and make sure.

This may be a permissions issue, so make sure you run Pr from an administrator account.  You may even have to force "Run As Administrator" when you launch Pr.  While you're in the VSTPlugins folder, make sure that the permissions on the PitchShifter and EQ .dll files matches the permissions on the other .dll files in that folder.  (This presumes that you can add the other audio effects and not lose them when you re-open your project).

If none of that works, you may have to uninstall, reboot, run the Adobe Creative Suite Cleaner Tool, reboot and reinstall.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 6:30 AM   in reply to adjohnson62

Why on earth is this necessary though? I own the computer. Nobody else uses it.

Microsoft's default stance is to protect us from ourselves.  Users who are willing to accept the risk and potential consequences of not using the default safeguards have to make the effort to actively disable those safeguards. 

Possible help:

User Account Type - Change - Windows 7 Help Forums

Run As Administrator:

RunAsAdmin.png

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2013 8:46 AM   in reply to adjohnson62

hello,  i am on the trial of cs6 production premium and installed all the updates successfully (except illustrator)  and all is good...cheers, j

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2013 1:18 PM   in reply to adjohnson62

Might be time to wipe the system and start over.  The Adobe suite is pretty stable on a healthy system.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2013 3:22 PM   in reply to adjohnson62

Just further argument for a wipe, I think.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 7:24 AM   in reply to adjohnson62

I have the same issue.

EQ audio effect is lost. The message is "Offline (filter unavailable)". This makes the audio effects completely useless to me.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points