Skip navigation
ahmicelfin
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere 11 freezes computer when opening, graphics card error message.

May 19, 2013 8:16 AM

Toshiba Satelite a665,Windows 7, core i3, 4gb ram. Intel HD Graphics 2.1.0 build 8.15.10.2119. I have edited videos successfully and recently with this program, upgraded from Premiere 10. Now I get an error message that the graphics card needs updating. Immediately following that message the program stops trying to load and the computer freezes.

I have tried:

-Updating graphics card at both the mfg and Intel website. Both say card is current.

-Updating all Windows updates. They were current incl. latest service pack.

-Selective startup

-Start from .exe file

-Clean boot

-Uninstall/reinstall Premiere

The program is functional in Safe mode.

I am out of options.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 19, 2013 9:04 AM   in reply to ahmicelfin

I **think** the file name you need to find with a forum search is baddrivers.txt - which you need to delete

But, do a forum search in this forum by going back to http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements

Then type your search term in the block under Ask a Question - and click the See More Results if needed

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 9:30 AM   in reply to ahmicelfin

ahmicelfin

If you are absolutely sure that your video card driver is up to date, then please delete the BadDrivers.txt file which John T. Smith mentioned.

The path to it in Windows 7 or 8 64 bit is:

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete.

Please let us know if that suggestion worked for you when you reopened Premiere Elements 11 Windows after the deletion cited.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 11:38 AM   in reply to ahmicelfin

ahmicelfin

If you have Windows 7 64 bit and Premiere Elements 11, you have a BadDrivers.txt file in the Program Data.

Are you working with "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives" active?

To check, if you have not already, Start Button/Search Field, type in Folder Options. At the top left of the interface you should see Folder Options choice available.

Click on that, then go to View Tab in the Folders Options dialog, and scroll down until you see "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives". Put a dot next to that option to select it.

That should do it. If not, we will have to review the situation with further details.

Thanks for following up on the troubleshooting.

ATR

After thought, by any chance, could you be in the "Program Files" route instead of "Program Data"?

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 11:43 AM   in reply to ahmicelfin

You might want to search for help in finding hidden files by searching at http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 12:56 PM   in reply to ahmicelfin

ahmicelfin

We will stay with you until you have found that BadDrivers.txt file and ruled it in or out as needed to solve your issue.

You say you have Windows 7 64 bit and Premiere Elements 11, if so you should be seeing what I am seeing (I have those)

When you start talking about AppData, you are in Users in that Local Disk C line up in the first screenshot, the wrong place. You want to start with Program Data specifically in that lineup..

Local Disk C.JPG

The next screenshot shows the BadDrivers.txt file with the path to it in the bar at the top

BadDrivers.txt.JPG

Clicking on the screenshots will bring up a larger version that can be read.

Are we any closer to the BadDrivers.txt file? If deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file solves the problem, then we are OK. If not, then we need to go to plan B which is yet to be defined.

Thanks for staying with the troubleshooting.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 3:29 PM   in reply to ahmicelfin

ahmicelfin

That sounds great, but...

great news that you found the BadDrivers.txt file and deleted it, but did that solve the problem?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 4:32 PM   in reply to ahmicelfin

ahmicelfin

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I am applauding your success. And that was great follow up which will be helpful to all.

Congratulations. And, best wishes to your wife for her understanding as we worked through this troubleshooting.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points