Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Making a 100mm x 150mm postcard

May 19, 2013 11:16 AM

Hi folks I have been struggling with this for three hours now and wonder if anyone can please help me?

I have designed a postcard which MUST be exactly 100mm x 150mm. This is being professionally printed mail-order in a batch of 60, so I don't get any tryouts - it has to be correct when I send it.

The postcard consists of one image and some text. I want it to be crisp, clear and hi-res.

At first I tried to do it in Photoshop 7, but I cannot work out how to get the text next to or around the image.

Then I made a beautiful postcard in Indesign CS2, setting the setup page to 100 x 150. This took 2 hours and it is perfect, HOWEVER, when I export it as a JPG or TIFF it comes out really tiny on the screen and I fear that if I send it to the printer like that it will get stretched to 100 x 150 and consequently get distorted and blurred.

I tried exporting it as a PDF then converting that PDF to a JPG but the colours went all blotchy.

So I am back trying to do it in Photoshop 7 but I cannot work out how to make the image exactly 150 x 100 and also get text around it.

I really am exhausted with this (what was supposed to be a ten-minute job). I have to get the flyer printed soon, am working to a deadline.

Can anyone give me some guidance please?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 19, 2013 11:40 AM   in reply to wojtczak

If PS7 is like the CS series click on Image/Image Size.  Then set the dimenstions you want.  Be aware that to obtain dimensions you may have to crop either the height or width.  Whether resample image is selected or not will determine how the other parameters are changed.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 12:53 PM   in reply to wojtczak

Why do you want to send a JPG to the printer? Export a pdf from InDesign (according to the specifications of the printer) and send the pdf to the printer. Only so the text will be crispy. It can't be done with a jpg.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2013 12:58 PM   in reply to wojtczak

Try to find a professionell online printer. EVERY printer should print PDF, not JPG, if he does not print PDF he should not call himself printer? What the heck, what "Pfuscher" (German, for very incompetent person) are you contacting?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points