Skip navigation
wisetaner
Currently Being Moderated

Problem adding more layers and also background image falling away

May 20, 2013 9:53 AM

Tags: #slow_playback #flash_cs6 #layers_problem #background_problem

Hi all, I recently started using Flash CS6 and could really use some help with a couple issues I'm having. I was using CS4 but it kept crashing on me. Anyway a project I'm working on requires about 40 layers, most of them start and end at the same time. Everything works works up to the 23rd layer, I can do a published preview and it works smooth and quick. However when I try adding an additional layer to make it 24 layers or anything above 24 layers, then the published preview slows to a crawl with jerky animation.

I don't know if it matters but I imported all but two layers from Photoshop, the other two layers are from Illustrator.

The second issue is that I have a background gradient image on its own layer that I also imported from Photoshop, except this one single Background doesn't show for the first half of video. Then for no reason at all a secondary background (that should not be there) drops out of video, which then shows my imported gradient background. Weird thing is I only have the one background, so I don't know where the second one is coming from or why it suddenly drops away.

Please help!

Thank you!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 20, 2013 10:32 AM   in reply to wisetaner

Without actually seeing your movie, I'm guessing that you have too much going on for the graphics board to keep up. Importing Photoshop files will fill your movie with raster graphics. These take a lot more processing power to display and animate than vector graphics do.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 11:49 AM   in reply to wisetaner

Raster graphic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raster_graphics

Vector graphics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_graphics

If you look at the examples, you'll see that it takes much less processing power to animate a vector than it does a raster.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 1:43 PM   in reply to wisetaner

Again, without seeing your movie, I'm only guessing. Do you have any sound files playing? Do you have any actionscript running?

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 4:32 AM   in reply to wisetaner

It looks like the problem is caused by the complexity of the bubbles' moving under the text. Although each individual bubble is small and should be a simple matter to animate, because they are raster, bitmap, images and are moving under the text, which I'm guessing is also raster art, there are a lot of pixels that need to be composited in each frame. Remember that Flash builds each frame of the animation at runtime, it is not rendered beforehand and just displayed at runtime like video. The problem is not the size of the artwork objects, it's the complexity of the animation.

The text could easily be produced right in Flash and therefore be vector art. The bubble could also be drawn in Flash as a vector. Changing each of these would make for a simpler animation.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 3:09 PM   in reply to wisetaner

If your movie is using all of the available resources on your computer and the movie is failing then you need to reduce the load on the computer. If you save out an .swf using the, successful, 23 layers, can you play it back on more than one computer? Does it run correctly in all cases?

If you are designing for the web, you need to design for the lowest common denominator in your expected audience.  You want your movie to play anywhere, not just on your computer.

I'm suggesting that you use vector art so that you can get a more successful animation. You might also try using fewer bubbles in each layer, or just fewer layers altogether.

The problem with the background is just a manifestation of the overall memory problem. Flash was losing its ability to correctly render the movie.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points