Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't get LR4 to recognize pictures folder on new computer

May 20, 2013 10:02 AM

I have successfully installed my LR 4.4 on my new computer and copied my Pictures folder to the new computer hard drive. I have reviewed Julieanne Kost's tutorial on migrating LR from one computer to a new one. I have identified the Pictures folder on the D drive for LR but it fails to recognize any photos and I am unable to Add them to LR inthis location. Import is also greyed out. As she suggests I right click on the parent pictures folder but I do not get the "find missing folder" option that she describes. I am motionless in the water.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 20, 2013 10:26 AM   in reply to joseph motto

Since your <Import> is greyed-out, I suspect that something is missing in the installation of Lr. How did you install Lr on your new computer?

I suggest this procedure: On the new computer download Lr from Adobe's website and install the download. You might want to uninstall the Lr you have now first. If you are on Windows do the uninstall via >Control panel >Uninstall a program.

During installation of the downloaded version you will be asked for your serial #. So keep it handy.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 10:52 AM   in reply to joseph motto

For more advice see here: http://members.lightroomqueen.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/Vie w/1166/0/how-do-i-move-only-my-photos-to-another-hard-drive-leaving-th e-catalog-where-it-is

For Lr to work properly on your new computer you need three things:

- Lr installation;

- the Lr catalog from your old computer;

- the image files.

The catalog is the file with the extension <  .lrcat>. It contains all the edits and also the file names and location of your images (image files).

You can put the new catalog wherever you want on the new computer. But I would recommend that you create a new top-level folder on one of your drives, call it "Lightroom catalog and Presets" and put the catalog in there. To open Lr with this catalog just double-click it, or -alternatively - in Lr go >File >Open catalog, navigate to the location of the catalog and select it.

The image files should be transferred from the old computer without any changes in the names of files and folders, and without any changes to the folder structure. Lr will probably display the folders with question marks in front of them. You then have to re-link Lr and the folders. This is done by right-clicking a folder, selecting <Find Missing Folder>, navigate to the correct location, and selecting the folder. If you do this for a parent folder, Lr will find all the sub-folders on its own, provided you have not changed the names and structure of the folders.

For more on re-linking, see here: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

It is important that you do not re-import your images. The images are already referenced in the catalog, you only have to re-link the folders. If you re-import you will loose your edits and also re-importing creates havoc with your catalog by creating unnecessary duplicates.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 11:05 AM   in reply to joseph motto

As she suggests I right click on the parent pictures folder but I do not get the "find missing folder" option that she describes.

What does happen when you right click on the parent folder (or any folder)? If you get a menu, what's in the menu?

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 11:29 AM   in reply to joseph motto

If you don't get the  "find missing folder" option the folder in question is not missing.

Only folders that show the question mark in front of the folder name are "missing".

If you right-click on a folder that has no question mark, the "find missing folder" option is not available.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 1:25 PM   in reply to joseph motto

I copied my most recent catalog backup into the newly created "Lightroom catalog& Presets" folder on my new D drive. If I now double click on it I get:

In order to use this catalog, Lightroom must close the current catalog and restart. Do you want to launch Lightroom with G:\Pictures\Lightroom Backups\2013-05-17 1647\Lightroom 4 Catalog.Ircat?"

Well this is a mysterious question.

If you double-clicked on a catalog file that you put on your D: drive, why is it asking you about opening a catalog file on the G: drive? Are you sure you have stated the drive letters properly? Are you sure you didn't double-click on a shortcut instead of an actual catalog file?

So, do I do so?

In any event, there is no harm in opening another catalog; however what you do in that catalog depends on the answer to the above.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 1:33 PM   in reply to joseph motto

joseph motto wrote:

Thank you very much; I will follow those instructions.

As for what I got with a right click, "Include sunfolders," "Dock folder," and "Show in Explorer."

It seems that you are getting this menu from the Import dialog box. You should NOT be in the Import dialog box. If you have opened the import dialog box, close it by clicking on the CANCEL button on the bottom right.

All of the instructions we have given you, including those from Julianne Kost's videos, assumes you have not opened the Import dialog box. They assume you are in the Folder Panel on the left hand side of the Library Module. Please try again using the Folder Panel in the Library Module, and I'm sure you that right-clicking on a folder name will produce a menu that includes "Find Missing Folders", if indeed the folders are missing and have a ? on them.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 2:20 PM   in reply to joseph motto

I can't seem to navigate to the spot where I can bring them out. Can you lead me in a specific way as I am not coming up with the brain power I need.

It doesn't sound like you tried going to the Library Module Folder Panel, like I said, and right-clicked on a folder name and selected "Find Missing Folder".

Did you try that? What happened?

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 3:26 PM   in reply to joseph motto

Well, I'm glad you think you can proceed with this task now.

To anyone else reading this far: when you are making backups or moving photos to another computer, please do NOT use this as an opportunity to reorganize your folders or move folders/photos from here to there. This has caused grief to many many people.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 7:22 AM   in reply to joseph motto

The solution, once again, is to relink the photos in Lightroom using the "Find Missing Photos" command.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 8:38 AM   in reply to joseph motto

From your description, it seems like you are right-clicking on one of the folders that does NOT have a question mark. The photos in these folders should be fine in Lightroom.

You need to right-click on the folders that DO have a question mark, and then Find Missing Folder will appear.

By the way, I don't think it is a good idea to put your photos in a folder that is a Previews.LRData folder, but that's a separate issue.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 9:48 AM   in reply to joseph motto

If you right-click on your folder named 2005-Botswana, and select "Find Missing Folder", you must point Lightroom to the corresponding folder on your D: drive. So wherever this 2005-Botswana folder is, this is the folder you must point at and then click OK or Select or Choose or whatever the word is. You don't point at the parent folder, you don't point at the photos inside this folder, you must point at the 2005-Botswana folder itself.

When Julianne Kost did this, her entire folder hierarchy was missing. That is not the case in your screen capture. Thus, pointing at the parent folder will not work in your case.

This is all spelled out in great detail in the link we have been referring to, including examples of doing exactly this, with pictures.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 12:53 PM   in reply to joseph motto

Looks like you have made some progress.

Lightroom will not match your D: drive. Lightroom only shows folders that have been imported into Lightroom, or folders that have been found via the "Find MIssing Folder".

With some of these folders I get a message that it is already in LR, do I want to merge them?

Sorry, but this isn't clear. You can't refer to "it is already in LR" without providing context. Exactly what does the pronoun "it" refer to here? Exactly what folder are you working on when you get this message? Exactly what step produces this message? Exactly what is the message?

And lastly, how did your D: drive wind up looking so vastly different from the screen shots in Lightroom you have provided (both of them, one in message 21 and one in message 17)? Are all these folders shown from your D: drive in Windows supposed to be in Lightroom?

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 1:20 PM   in reply to joseph motto

If the photos were not previously imported into your Lightroom catalog, then you would indeed want to import them. That's the only way to get them in there.

If the photos were previously imported into your Lightroom catalog, then importing is NOT the right thing to do. "Find Missing Folder" is the right thing to do.

It appears to me that your D: drive bears no resemblance to your screen capture in message 17. In that screen capture, there was no 2003 folder, while in your screen capture of the current D: drive in Windows, there is a 2003 folder. So ... have these photos in the 2003 folder on your D: drive been imported into Lightroom on your old computer?

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 1:35 PM   in reply to joseph motto

I thought I would see in LR that whole listing ...

After all this time, you think that Lightroom will just magically see the folders that are present on your D: drive, and reflect that in its own Folder Panel.

This is not how Lightroom works. As I have said, the only folders Lightroom knows about are folders that contain photos that have been imported into Lightroom (or located via "Find Missing Folders")

So, while I understand your interest in having Lightroom match what you see on your D: drive, that isn't going to happen without additional further work on your part. The work consists of eliminating question marks via "Find Missing Folders", which clearly hasn't happened based upon your screen shot in Message 21. And then once that is complete, importing photos that are in folders that don't show up at all in the Lightroom Folder Panel.

I remain concerned about the mismatch between the Folder Panel in Lightroom, and your D: drive in Windows. This doesn't really match the description you gave of "Recall, last night I copied everything in Pictures on my old computer C drive (which LR has seen) and pasted it into an empty D drive on my new computer." Perhaps there is more I am not seeing, but as I said, based on what I can see, there is something wrong and/or unexplained here.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 3:43 PM   in reply to joseph motto

If the birds have been imported, then the folder that contains them MUST be in Lightroom's folder panel. To find it, right-click on any of the bird photos, and then select "Go To Folder In Library". The folder will be highlighted (you might have to scroll up or down to find it).

I look at the LR display next to D drive it says tha of 1.8 TB on the drive 1.3 TB are free, If it knows that it must have seen them; why doesn't it display them as Windows does?

The Folder Panel does not try to figure out what folders exist on your hard drive. I have explained this already. Furthermore, Lightroom is obviously reading from the operating system (Windows) to find out what space is left on the drive, it isn't figuring it out itself.

I shouldn't need to import anything if it already recognizes  that they are there.

I think I have explained this already. Lightroom does not recognize what folders are present. Lightroom does not display the folders the way Windows does, even though it might be able to read what is on your hard drive through Windows. Lightroom only shows folders that have had a photo imported (or folders found via "Find Missing Folders"). No matter how many times you ask, and no matter how many times you think you shouldn't have to do anything for Lightroom to recognize your folders, the answer remains the same — Lightroom doesn't work that way.

As long as you continue to have these thoughts about what Lightroom should do and what you shouldn't need to do, frustration will result.

By the way, there are plenty of programs out there that will read the folders, as they exist, with no effort on your part.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 4:55 PM   in reply to dj_paige

If the YardBirds folder was the last thing imported into LR before the photos were copied/moved from C: to D: then LR is showing the previews and thumbnails that were computed at the time of the Import but those previews and thumbnails should be showing a missing photo indication because LR has not been told where the corresponding folder is on D:, yet.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 4:10 AM   in reply to joseph motto

Did you try the suggestion I gave, right-click on one of the photos of yardbirds, and select "Go To Folder in Library"? It appears from your screen capture in message 21 that the Yardbirds photo indeed appears in your Folder Panel, and it doesn't have a question mark.

In addition, the subfolders from 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 appear to have been imported as well, that is why the photos are greyed out. If you know the name of the subfolders in one of these folders, you should be able to find that subfolder name in your Lightroom Folder Panel, and if you click on the subfolder, you should see the photos shown in Lightroom.

In this situation, you might want to right-click on the Yardbirds folder name in the Folder Panel. Now I'm guessing because I have never been in this situation, but I think if you do this right-click on the Yardbirds folder name in the Folder Panel, I think you will see a menu item that says something like "Show Parent". Select this menu item. This would allow the parent folder of Yardbirds to appear in your folder panel. You will need to do this as well on other folders to obtain the 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 folders.

Furthermore, as I have been guessing, I still think you did something wrong somehwere in this process, and now I think I know what the mistake was. Of course, we don't have to go there, we can just keep moving forward from where we are; but if you want, I can explain further.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 7:18 AM   in reply to joseph motto

If you know the name of a subfolder of 2010, which you can find using Windows (not Lightroom), then go into Lightroom's Folder Panel and and find that subfolder, and right click and "Show Parent Folder".

I had enough IQ to get through med school, I should have enough to get through this.

Well, I have no doubt about your IQ; however we have seen in these forums many many times people use Lightroom and are totally befuddled, people who claim they have never had this much trouble with software in their life.

The process of moving photos and catalog to a new computer is very simple; however if you make one mistake, or if you take this opportunity to rearrange your folders (which we have seen many times), then the process of moving photos and catalog to a new computer becomes very difficult. Given the point at which we have arrived, the only solutions I know of are to keep going, as tedious as that may be; or to start over from a blank D: drive and try to move the photos again without making the mistake.

In retrospect, it would have been nice if Lightroom had done what Photoshop Elements had done, creating a command that moves everything (catalog and photos) to a backup location, and then another command that restores the backup to a location on a new computer/new hard disk. While there are limited ways to screw this up as well, it seems to cause much less grief than the procedure in Lightroom, which depends on the user knowing the right steps and then performing the right steps and not making mistakes.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 1:51 PM   in reply to joseph motto

Yes, I think you hit the nail on the head. This is the suspected problem.

My question to you is where is this folder now -- the folder that used to be named C:\users\joseph\pictures\lightroom\lightroom 4 catalog previews.lrdata

Give me the exact name and path of where this folder is now. (Please make sure that somewhere underneath this folder is your 2011 folder.)

Also, does this folder still appear in the Lightroom Folder Panel, as it did in your screenshot on message 17?

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 5:01 AM   in reply to joseph motto

Joseph, we're just not making any progress. In addition, I don't see answers to my very specific questions. I understand you are leaving and you may not have time to work on this for a few days. But when I ask a very specific question, I do so for a reason -- I think the answer will help us move forward. And when I don't get an answer, we're stuck.

It also appears to me that you have not understood a very basic and simple concept, a concept that is crucial to fixing this mess, even though we have discussed this before. When a folder has a question mark, you must find the folder on the new computer that has the those photos, and then reconnect the folder via the "Find Missing Folders" procedure. Yet for some reason, you have stopped doing this and see roadblocks and you go back to thinking about Import or Synchronize or whatever which simply won't help here. You need to throw out all of your assumptions about how Lightroom should be showing your C: drive and D: drive as it exists. "The third is LR on the C drive (I assume the new computer C drive, not my old computer C drive in memory)". This has also been explained several times, the Folder panel does not show the folders as they exist. If you think otherwise, this is an impediment to progress. Yes, the Lightroom folder panel is showing you the folder structure from your OLD computer's C: drive.

In your screen shots, there is a 2008 folder with a question mark in Lightroom. There is also, in your Windows screen shot, a 2008 folder. These need to be connected via the "Find Missing Folder" procedure. I fail to understand why this hasn't been done already.

In your screen shots, there is a 2009 folder with a question mark in Lightroom. There is also, in your Windows screen shot, a 2009 folder. These need to be connected via the "Find Missing Folder" procedure. I fail to understand why this hasn't been done already.

In your screen shots, there is a "airplane jpegs" folder with a question mark. You need to find the folder on your new computer that contains these photos, and reconnect them with the "Find Missing Folder" procedure.

And so on until all missing folders have been reconnected in this way.

The ball is in your court.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points