Skip navigation
Ghost2013
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 in the 'minimize' state “tracks” when moved across screen...

May 20, 2013 12:44 PM

I have finally found time to work on and to learn how to use my recently purchased Adobe Premiere Elements 11 (APE11) and Adobe Photoshop Elements 11, using Adobe’s respective ‘Classroom In A Book’ training aid I recently purchased. To my disappointment when I open Adobe Premiere Elements 11 in the 'minimize' state it “tracks” when I try to move it across the screen, (see images), making it impossible and unacceptable to use. It only happens with APE11 and not with Photoshop, Premiere Organizer, MS Office Suite Programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Etc.), or any other programs on my computer. Also, the “tracking” doesn’t happen to a video within the APE11 video working space. I have installed this instance of APE11 twice to no avail using the Adobe defaults. See the added images for the current configuration of my PC and the APE11 version I have. I noticed in APE11’s Properties that I don’t have Compatibility checked-off because I never have had a previous version (see image). I do the Microsoft & Windows 7 updates regularly. This PC was purchased and configured to work on photo and video editing & manipulation, along with my everyday use. [Purchased on 2/22/13 from a reputable company Computer Links, Burlington, NC 27215, 336-226-4738 Invoice# 148599, (Technician: Matt). I am not a computer science person, which is why I relied on Matt to configure my PC. As this appears to be an AEP11 issue I am relying on you to resolve the issue verse Matt. Your support with this is much appreciated.

I had one person kindly suggest "Could you try to update your graphic card drivers, if they are not current"? If I knew how to & where located on PC I would consider it, however I would think it would be current as it was new when PC was purchase 2/22/13 and if it was out-of-date why wouldn't the other programs on the PC also 'track', such as Adobe Photoshop Elements, MS Ofiice Suite programs, etc.? (PS: I thought I posted this in the Adobe Premiere Elements area 5/19/13, apparently I posted it in the "Downloading, Installing, Setting Up" discussions area instead, & didn't see a way to move it?? I started in APE11 Area.) Adobe Premiere Elements Tracking (2) C700.jpg

Adobe Premiere Elements Tracking (3) C700.jpg

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Vesion.jpg

ASUS PC Control Panel-System and Security-System C600.jpg

ASUS PC Computer C & D Storage C200.jpg

ASUS PC List of Contents (1)C750.JPG

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Compatibility.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 20, 2013 1:25 PM   in reply to Ghost2013

Ghost2013

As a reference point, this is what the Premiere Elements 11 Quick view looks like:

PE11Quick.JPG

What video card does your computer use? If you do not know, go to Device Manager/Display Adapters/, check it out and let us know what it is. The preferred route is to go to the video card manufacturer's web site for the latest driver information for your specific video card. But as a starter, you could go to the Device Manager/Display Adapters/your video card listing/Driver Tab and hit Update Driver and see what happens.

General type drill...

a. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 11?

b. Are you running Premiere Elements 11 from a user account with Administrative Privileges?

c. In all the regularity that you see, are there any error messages associated with all that? If so, what does the error message say?

More, but let us start here.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 1:49 PM   in reply to Ghost2013

Ghost2013,

I concur that the behavior seems like a classic display/video driver issue.

Your custom builder probably loaded your OS and most drivers from a master disc, that is possibly out of date, at least regarding the video driver. Such discs are often used for a period of about 6 mos., and then the builder relies on the OS to go online and update all necessary drivers. Unfortunately, with video drivers, companies, like nVidia and AMD/ATI issue new drivers about every month.

As to why other programs, and even Adobe PsE work well, is because most programs do not interface that directly with the video driver, but PrElements does (as does PrPro, After Effects and Ps CS 6). That is why the video driver is so important.

Also, even a simple OS update can render a video driver obsolete. Again, a big reason that the mfgrs. issue new ones so very often.

This is a look at the Control Panel>System>Hardware screens (from XP-Pro, but will be very similar for Win7):

Video_Driver_Info.png

When you follow ATR's Path to the Video Display section, you will see just who made your card, probably nVidia, or AMD/ATI, and the model number. Then, in the Drivers Tab, you can see the number and date of your installed video driver. As mentioned, go to the mfgr's. Web Site, where you will find a Driver Download section. There, just plug in your card's model number, and your OS version. You will then be shown the latest driver for your card and your OS. If you do not have the latest version, download it. It will be an .EXE file, in most instances. Check for any installation instructions, just to be safe, but the usual course of action is to shut down any anti-virus, anti-malware and anti-anything software, and then just Run that .EXE file, from where you downloaded it. You will most likely be prompted to Restart your computer at some point, and you will do so. Then, when the computer boots up, there will be a bit more installation, but you will likely not have to interact again.

When updating drivers, I always manually create a System Restore Point, before I do the installation. This is just a safety precaution, but if anything goes poorly, I want to be able to immediately revert to the point, before I started the installation.

Done.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on how this impacts your PrE.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 7:27 PM   in reply to Ghost2013

Mike,

After you took ATR's suggestion of letting Windows choose the latest driver, did you then go to the AMD Web site, and check their latest Catalyst driver for your OS vs what Windows told you was the latest? If not, that would be my next stop.

While I am sure that in a very few instances, Windows does get it right, I have yet to see that happen. This is an area where ATR and I disagree. The Windows video driver utility is usually about 6 mos. out of date. With nVidia, or AMD/ATI, that often means 6 - 8 driver versions ago.

The only benefit that I see with using Windows to survey video drivers is that it gives the user a false sense of security. It does not hurt anything, but is almost always (in my experience) wrong, and one must then go to the mfgr's. Web site.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 5:48 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

You and I do not really disagree on making sure that the video card driver is up to date and ruling it in or out of the troubleshooting equation.

I wrote back in post #1

What video card does your computer use? If you do not know, go to Device Manager/Display Adapters/, check it out and let us know what it is. The preferred route is to go to the video card manufacturer's web site for the latest driver information for your specific video card. But as a starter, you could go to the Device Manager/Display Adapters/your video card listing/Driver Tab and hit Update Driver and see what happens.

Note the "...as a starter..." in what I wrote. I think that is a good way to get preliminary handle on the situation. Often there is confusion at the video card manufacturer's web site regarding what video card drive information applies to the user, but sorting that out there is worthwhile if the Device Manager route does not quickly solve the problem, allowing the user to move forward with the Premiere Elements projects.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 6:42 AM   in reply to Ghost2013

Ghost2013

What is your computer..desktop or laptop?

Hunt can double check me on this, but here is my take on your search for an update for your "Anus HD 7750 Series" video card driver...

Until proven otherwise, this "Anus HD 7750 Series" card is also known as ADM Radeon HD 7750 Series graphics card. This is supported by your screenshot with details of your card, showing "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc." as the Driver Provider.

Next, are you working with a Desktop or Laptop.

At the ADM web site, referring to content in link provided in this post, there are tabs for Desktop or Laptop which include places for finding the driver for your video card...check below or to the left column of the page that opens for Desktop or Laptop. If you do not see an obvious update candidate, then  explore any option available that provides for "automatically detect and install". In short, make sure that you do not leave that web site until you have assured that you have exhausted all possibilities for finding an update for your video card driver.

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx

Have you been there and done that and still have confusion as to choice?

If this is a new computer and the video card driver update from all possible places does not resolve the problem, then I would definitely contact the builder for other possible computer factors, such as power supply and other.

Please keep let us know what is happening.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 8:24 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

I think that your instructions on how to determine both the video card's make and model, plus the installed driver number and date, are great. They are especially useful, if a user is not well-versed in computer hardware, and using functions in the OS to determine exactly what they have. Execellent!

The one issue that I have, is in using the OS to determine the availability of newer drivers. I have seldom observed an instance, where the OS got it correct. The same for many 3rd party driver utilities, whether installed, or on the Web. They just do not work adequately, in most cases. Using one first is not a bad move, though I feel that it is a waste of time, born out my many hundreds of posts, along the lines of "____ (fill in Windows, or some driver utility here) said that my video driver was the latest one." It is that "false sense of security," and especially give the bad data provided by the OS, or the driver utility, with which I have an issue. Too many users, in my observations, just stop at that point, and never take the information gathered from Control Panel>Hardware>>> to go to the nVidia, or AMD/ATI Web site. They put all their trust in the erroneous data provided by the OS, and stop there, thinking that they DO have the latest driver. That is where we disagree, as I usually tell the user to NOT trust the OS, or any driver utility, and to take the info on the card's make and model, and go directly to nVidia, or AMD/ATI.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 8:30 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

My research indicates that you are 100% on the mfgr. of that video chip/card. What I do not know is whether ASUS tweaks the AMD/ATI driver for their particular version of the chips. Some companies do just that. We see it very often with Dell, HP, Lenovo, Toshiba, and some others. I just do not know about the ASUS version of the chips. In the case of the Dells, etc., they will re-wrap the Catalyst drivers from AMD/ATI, and only their re-wrapped version will install properly. That is not a bad thing, but only means that Dell, etc., is the first stop for drivers, and not AMD/ATI, or nVidia.

An older Toshiba, with nVidia chip, would ONLY accept a Toshiba version of the nVidia driver, and Toshiba never released a new one (recently checked for a similar thread, and in 10 years Toshiba never released an updated driver). Over the 5 years of that laptop's useful life, I had to "build" my own Toshiba-ized version of the new nVidia drivers.

I will try to research whether ASUS does re-wrap the AMD/ATI Catalyst drivers, meaning that ASUS would be the source.

Thanks,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 7:42 PM   in reply to Ghost2013

Ghost2013

Thanks for the follow up. Do not give up it looks like you are very close to getting the correct video card driver update.

I went through the fill ins at the AMD web site and came up with the same download choice based on your information.

Since you do not want to do anything that you are not comfortable with but you need to rule in or out this likely problem cause, take the best of all worlds, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th opinions.

I say go with this. Note: if you go through those fill ins and enter an "uncertain" in one of the fields, you should get a helpful page such as

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/HowtoidentifythemodelofanAT Igraphicscard.aspx

Please check that out. But, I suspect that we are beyond that stage for now.

Let us see what Bill Hunt's verdict is.

Check with the builder on this. There may be some additional setup that needs addressing and he would be the best person since he is right there with the computer.

We will be watching for the outcome.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 2:26 PM   in reply to Ghost2013

Ghost2013

We will be watching for the outcome.

We are hoping that the video driver update (which seems that obvious problem) will turn out to be the actual problem.

But, if the video card driver update does not solve the problem, it is best that the builder see what you are up against (first hand) with your Premiere Elements distorted display which I have never come across before. You could ask him if that card  has any special required GPU settings as well as updates that need attention. Also, please ask about that video card and the power supply installed.

Looking forward to the results.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 7:47 AM   in reply to Ghost2013

Hello Matt, and thanks for helping with Mike's computer.

As for why display issues might only show up in PrElements, it interfaces more completely with the video driver, than almost any other program on his computer, including Photoshop Elements. Much of the GUI in PrE is animated, and of course there are several video players within that GUI. Other than extreme games, CAD and 3D creation programs, most of the rest will get by just fine, so long as the video driver can get a display on the monitor. Not so for PrE. It's the same with some other Adobe programs, such as Premiere Pro, After Effects, Encore and even the big-brother to PsE, Photoshop, which now does video, and some fairly sophisticated 3D. All of those are very, very critical of the video driver.

Both nVidia and AMD/ATI, driven by the extreme game market, understand the programs, that need to interface so very closely with the video driver, so update those constantly (though AMD/ATI does seem to be slowing down in the driver development department). Even a simple OS update can render the video driver obsolete, so when a user first experience any sort of dispaly issue, we point them to an updated driver, as their first troubleshooting step. If, after getting that out of the way, there is still an issue, we can move on, but the video driver is the most common cause of display issues.

To really confuse things, in the very recent past, AMD/ATI has released some Catalyst drivers, that have not been all that good. In many of those cases, the only recourse is to roll-back the driver, wait for a new and better driver or shut down some aspects of Open GL, or Open CL (depends on whether nVidia, or AMD/ATI) in Photoshop CS 5 - 6. Unfortunately, those other Adobe programs, that rely so heavily on the video driver, do not have the capability to do that - Photoshop does, though it will affect many operations - still, you can turn the advanced features off in it.

Good luck, and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to drop back by. We hope to have answers.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 8:18 AM   in reply to Ghost2013

Hi Ghost2013 and Matt,

From what you wrote, it sure sounded like you updated the video card driver successfull and the Premiere Elements display problem is solved. Is that correct? That would be great.

But, question...Matt, you wrote that you updated the video card driver 12.104.0.0 dated 3/28/2013. When I went to the AMD web site, I did find the 12.104 driver but it was dated 4/24/2013. Are we looking at the same correct driver update in spite of the dating differences that I see?

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64. aspx

Thanks for the teamwork in getting Ghost moving forward with the Premiere Elements projects.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 6:24 PM   in reply to Ghost2013

Mike and Matt,

Some of the following suggests are drill type questions, but nonetheless included to leave "no stone unturned"

1. Delete the BadDrivers.txt file. The path to it in Windows 7 64 bit is:

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete.

Then open Premiere Elements 11 and see what has happened to the display issue.

2. Delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs. The path to it in Windows 7 64 bit is:

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs Folder that you delete.

Then open Premiere Elements 11 and see if any changes in the problem.

(Be sure to be working with Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drivers active.

3. Has a complete and clean uninstall/reinstall of the program been done.

a. In the Premiere Elements 11 workspace, Help Menu/Deactivate...close out of there.

b. Uninstall via usual Control Panel route. Reinstall.

4. Deactivate Premiere Elements 11 and uninstall as in 3 above. Then download and install the Premiere Elements 11 tryout from Adobe. Does it present the same way that the problem version did?

5. Has replacement of the video card with another brand, like NVIDIA been attempted?

6. Has Premiere Elements 11 problem been looked at with more than one monitor using the monitor's native resolution in each case? Has there been any indication of a problem with the monitor and the video card? What type of a connection is there between the computer and the monitor? If you set up a dual monitor system, is this distorted workplace seen on both the monitors?

Those are some thoughts for now.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2013 7:41 PM   in reply to Ghost2013

Mike

Thanks for the update. We were thinking of you and Matt and wondering if the problems were resolved.

Depending on how things are going, please try 3 and 4 if you have not already.

We will continue to watch for your progress and Matt's.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 2:45 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Hi,

I have a similar PC setup (win 7 64-bit CPU 3.5GB with Nvidia Quadro 2000) and I get the exact same problem. I updated the graphics driver and it didn't help. Also installed the Premiere trial as recommended -- the problem does not occur in Premiere at all, but still is there in Elements.

I did find one thing that helped somewhat but is not a real solution: I double clicked the top bar of the program to maximixe it and as long as I don't try to move the window on the desktop, there is no problem. Not a real solution, but it eliminates the display "tracking" problem. I use Adobe CS6 Web and this happens occasionally with Photoshop but not with other Adobe programs.With Elements, it hapens all the time unless it's maximized.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 3:28 PM   in reply to Reesa Marchetti

Reesa Marchetti

Could you please confirm what you mean when you wrote:

Also installed the Premiere trial as recommended -- the problem does not occur in Premiere at all, but still is there in Elements.

What did you install, Premiere Pro trial or Premiere Elements 11 trial?

If Premiere Elements 11 trial, you should be able to put your purchased serial number into that and then use that setup. Have you tried that?

Also, do you have an alternative computer monitor to try in your computer environment with Premiere Elements 11?

So it will be a great suggestion for Mike and Matt to look into, Maximizing the Premiere Elements 11 Windows to see what happens in their specific computer environment.

Thanks for the contributing your experience on the matter.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 4:20 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Hi, sorry I wasn't clear. I have a registered version of elements that wasn't working properly as far is the tracking across the screen. One of the suggestions to fix it was to install a trial version of

premiere to see if Premier also had the problem, and that's what I did.

Reesa Marchetti, President

SheerWebHost.com

SheerWebDesign.com

ReesaAndTheRooters.com

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 4:22 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

PS, I don't have an alternative monitor. This one is a digital monitor with a digital cable.

SheerWebHost.com

SheerWebDesign.com

ReesaAndTheRooters.com

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 4:43 PM   in reply to Reesa Marchetti

Reesa Marchetti

One of my suggestions to Mike and Matt was to look at the performance of the try out version of Premiere Elements 11 and compare it to what they were seeing for their purchased Premiere Elements 11.

Apparently you tried this appoarch and found it successful in that you found that the downloaded program did not have the problem of what you had. But in all your writings, you refer to the tryout download as "Premiere", not Premiere Elements. So, I asked for clarification on that point.

But in your response you used the same program description that I was asking about and wrote

it was to install a trial version of

premiere to see if Premier also had the problem, and that's what I did.

I just wanted confirmation that your "Premier" represented Premiere Elements. I am 99.9999% sure it does, but I did not want to take anything for granted when we are dealing with an strange yet undefined issue as we are.

Looking forward to the confirmation on that point. Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 4:50 PM   in reply to Reesa Marchetti

Reese Marchetti

You wrote:

This one is a digital monitor with a digital cable.

Thanks for the information on your monitor which appears to be using a DVI or HDMI connection.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 5:53 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 6:29 PM   in reply to Ghost2013

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 7:22 PM   in reply to Ghost2013

Mike and Matt,

Bravo. Major contribution.

Later tonight or tomorrow morning I am going to look at those Windows 7 64 bit Themes in depth to see if I get the same results as you did with my Premiere Elements and Windows 7 64 bit.

So very pleased for your success.

Hopefully Reese will add a description of the computer operating system and the theme used in that case along with the confirmation that I have been waiting for about the Premiere Elements 11 tryout having no problems in that computer environment.

Just some loose ends to put together to complete the challenging Premiere Elements 11 troubleshooting.

Thanks again.

ATR

Add On...Mike and Matt

I just did a quick look at

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit - Desktop computer

Display Adapter Intel HD Graphics

Acer 19 in Widescreen Monitor with 1400 x 900 native resolution (DVI connection between Monitor and computer)

Premiere Elements 11

Aero Theme

Windows 7

Basic and High Contrast Themes

Windows 7 Basic

I had no problems at all with Premiere Elements 11 displayed workspace.

So far we seem to have two possible unexplained suggestion as to cause/relation

a. using the Premiere Elements 11 tryout download instead of the purchased problem one

b. changing the Windows 7 Theme from "Basic and High Contrast"/Windows 7 Basic to "Aero" Theme Windows 7

Just took a look at this using Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit on a laptop computer with an AMD Radeon HD6310 display adapter. Still no problem with the way that Premiere Elements 11 workspace displayed on the computer monitor.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2013 9:33 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Hi,

Wow, I switched from a high-contrast theme to the Aero Windows theme and the Premiere Elements 11 problem disappeared!

To recap: PC setup (win 7 64-bit, CPU 3.5GB, 16GB RAM,  Nvidia Quadro 2000)

Dell U2412M digital LCD monitor w/digital cable connection

Registered version of Premiere Elements 11. If I moved or tried to resize the program, it left "tracking" marks on the WIndows screen.

I Installed trial Premiere Pro and it did not have the problem.

Switching to an Aero theme solved the problem in Premiere Elements 11.

Good luck finding the answer to this mystery

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2013 9:54 AM   in reply to Reesa Marchetti

Reesa Marchetti

Thank you very much for that great report. Good and bad news was that your download from Adobe was Premiere Pro (no problem) rather than Premiere Elements.

So it looks like we have two reporting the problem and solving the problem with the same switch from Basic and High Contrast to Aero for the theme on Windows 7 64 bit.

Late last night I could not confirm the problem on my Premiere Elements 11 as reported yesterday in this thread. I will look at that again to re-confirm my observations.

But great news that you and Mike/Matt have resolved this issue. We will continue to think about this for now mystery.

Thanks for the follow up. Much appreciated.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2013 9:53 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Hi,

Could this be caused by the lack of animation in the basic theme? Just noticed there's more animation in the Aero theme.

SheerWebHost.com

SheerWebDesign.com

ReesaAndTheRooters.com

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers