Skip navigation
andyrams
Currently Being Moderated

Serious problem with random missing pages in PDFs

May 21, 2013 2:07 AM

Tags: #missing #indesign #pages #acrobat_9_pro

Hi,

We are running InDesign 5.5 on Mac OS 10.6.8 and using Acrobat 9pro 9.5.1.

We produce novels and have an ID file, 480 pages, that we have exported to PDF direct from ID.

In the PDF file page 9 is missing, well, the running head and folio are on the page but there is no text! THIS IS NOT THE FIRST JOB WE HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH!!

The InDesign file is fine, no errors, all text, nothing strange about it at all. If we remake the PDF then it is fine which makes this a totally random and intermittent problem. Our clients are not very happy obviously.

Is there any way the PDF can be 'looked at' to see if it contains any clues as to why this happens and more importantly how can we stop this from randomly happening.

This is now desperate, our clients are considering changing suppliers if we can't guarantee our product!

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Many thanks

Andy R

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 21, 2013 5:34 AM   in reply to andyrams

Start by doing the standard troubleshooting:

(1) In the file that exhibits the problem, save your InDesign file as IDML to fix a possibly corrupt document and reopen, then repeat the PDF export. Here's how:

If that doesn't work, try this:

(2) Restore your InDesign preferences. Here's how:

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 5:55 AM   in reply to andyrams

Does this only happen from one computer?

When the problem happens is the file residing on your computer or on a file server?

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 7:01 AM   in reply to andyrams

I'm more of a software person than a hardware person. I'm going to let others help you from here. If it's on one computer, I'm suspecting that there's something going on with that computer, but I don't really know.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 7:41 AM   in reply to andyrams

Even if the file seems uncorrupt, I'd still follow Steve's advice and "wash" the file through IDML.  If the file's formatting was based on a series of old jobs, I might even try saving it as an ID template first to remove XMPmmHistory metadata (which can build up amazingly in IDCS4).

I think of novels as generally being fairly simple text, unencumbered with footnotes and cross-references, but I once had odd things happen when exporting to PDF a 500-page file with 2000 cross-references.  I usually use ID's Book feature to break jobs that size up into smaller files, but cross-references are said to be more reliable within a single file.  I didn't lose whole pages, but a dozen or two footnote numbers (out of hundreds) were changed, seemingly at random.  Happily, Acrobat's PDF Comparison flagged the changes on pages I thought didn't needed re-proofing.  This happened just once, and for lack of a better explanation I assumed I'd overtaxed IDCS4/Win7, perhaps squeezing its memory by working on another task during ID export.

David

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points