Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Completed video

May 21, 2013 3:44 AM

http://vimeo.com/66616325

The location: an island on a lake in Ontario.

The event: High water made it necessary to check the boathouse for damage.

Equipment:

Canon 20D with intervalometer and tripod. I only included the timelapse gear as an afterthought. The iceout caught me by surprise.

It was the first time I had tried a real timelapse and I couldn't remember the settings, so I had to wing it. I was also rather busy with other things.

1,300 images over 11 hours.

Previous experience: This is my third video edit, and first timelapse.

Software: LRTimelapse + Lightroom to assemble and edit the timelapse sequence

Premiere Elements 11 to assemble the slideshow and timelapse

Photoshop Elements 11 to edit the stills.

What I learned:

-Batch edit still photos in Photoshop to reduce file size before importing to project assets. On a previous video I didn't do this and my laptop got so hot trying to downsample and render that I had to sit it on icepacks. Plus it took 1/2 hour for each render.

-When I got stuck trying to solve a problem, I asked on this forum and received immediate and spot-on help from some very knowlegeable and patient people.

-Audio: Vimeo said they preferred AAC. I right clicked the music in Itunes, convert to AAC, saved to desktop. Premiere had no problem working with these files.

-Uploading to Vimeo: I was expecting to have to go through a list of exporting choices and then save to file and then upload.

The new export to Vimeo (or You Tube etc) feature was great. One file type choice and hit go. It took about 15-20 minutes to upload. This is a real asset.

I know this video is a little rough around the edges, but I had a lot of learning to do and wanted to get one under my belt.

The video was supposed to fade to black. Somehow that got lost.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 21, 2013 5:14 AM   in reply to ahmicelfin

Thanks for sharing your experience, ahmicelfin!

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 7:43 AM   in reply to ahmicelfin

ahmicelfin

Everything regarding your video displayed at Vimeo was very impressive.

Besides the beautiful video, what particularly caught my attention was outstanding job with the transitioning immediately after Next Day. Great effect.

Maybe in this thread or another, you could give more details of how you set up the time lapse in this video and its accompanying audio. I would like to address some comments to that but only after more information on what you did for this presentation.

Your eye for the beauty of nature and your technical skills gave for enjoyable video viewing.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 7:54 AM   in reply to ahmicelfin

Very well-done.

Thank you for sharing with us. Glad that you did bring the time-lapse gear!

Appreciated,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)