Skip navigation
Skanerone
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Pro CS6 very bad YouTube quality.

May 21, 2013 5:57 AM

Tags: #problem #adobe #youtube #pro #premiere #quality #cs6 #laggy #fraps

Hello,

Before asking me to look further on google because there may be my answer, i say that i've searched/posted/asked everywhere i could.

I use fraps to record some in-game footages, the file bitrates are huge 500-900M, i then render them in premiere pro as i need to add an intro/ending and then i upload them (or i'm hardly trying to) on youtube.

The thing is I've used every setting I could ever find, contacted youtube users who managed to do it right, but after I upload the video on youtube, the quality is absolutely horrible.

Right after i render i check the video, the quality is perfect, after that I upload it to youtube and after processing the video, it looks like it has 1M bitrate, laggy.

Can anyone please help me to solve this problem?

Thanks!

RAW clip bitrate: 500-900M

Render settings from Premiere Pro CS6:

Format: H264

Resolution: 1280x720

Frames per second: 30

Field Order: Progressive

Aspect: Square Pixels (1.0)

TV Standard: NTSC

Profile: High

Level: 5.1

Render at Maximum depth: Checked

Bitrate settings:

Encoding: VBR, 2 pass

Maximum bitrate: 20M

Minimum bitrate: 20M

(Tried with smaller bitrates too, like 8/10/15, the output file wasnt so clear but youtube would still kill it)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 21, 2013 6:23 AM   in reply to Skanerone

I have no YouTube issues, but I don't use FRAPS (I use something else), so let's take a look at everything and we'll see what might be happening.

What is the frame size of what you are capturing. Exactly. Are you capturing 1280X720 at 30 frames per second?

If not, that may be the problem. You should not be scaling your video at all, not in Premiere Pro and certainly not upon export.

How are you creating your sequence? Are you dropping the video on to the "New Item" button? What are the sequence settings.

If at all possible, size your capture window to 1280X720. This takes practice but if you create a template by drawing a rectangle in a drawing program that is just the right size, put it on your desktop, and size your game window to match, that will really help. A lot.

Also, make sure your frames per second input matches your output.

If you want to post some footage, a few seconds or so, I will be happy to take a look at it and see if I can make any specific suggestions.

Steven

http://www.stevengotz.com

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 7:50 AM   in reply to Skanerone

Skanerone wrote:

My RAW files are 1920x1080 at 30FPS

I'm dropping the videos right in the timeline.

Dropping them right onto the timeline isn't as optimal as creating a new sequence from the source footage, as Steven suggested.  Either back-click on the footage and "Create from" or drop the footage into the "New Item" button.

FWIW, I went through something similar to this with in-game footage from Battlefield 3, very recently.  My challenge was that I was hauling in footage captured from 3 LCD panels, with a total resolution of 5760x1200, then trying to export just the center part at 1080p.  It went poorly until I was helped:  create a new sequence with the appropriate final export settings (1080p, 29.97fps, etc), drop the source into it and allow it to "change settings".  Then using the Effects pane, under Motion, trim the vertical down to 90% of its original size.

Voila: a perfectly centered, 1080p export.  Now, I have them set to a low bitrate of 6Mbps/10Mbps (max) to keep the file sizes somewhat in check.  So their overall quality during heavy motion isn't fantastic.  But, it works OK for YouScrewb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P-r2ShbFig

Some in-game with Teamspeak comms included.  I die a lot.  And swear a few times, so NSFW.  Specifically, look at the corners where the text exists.  When there's little motion, the text is crystal clear.  When the screen starts moving around due to me moving (or stuff shaking, etc), the text gets a wee bit blurry.  Expected given the low(er) bitrates.

jas

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 7:54 AM   in reply to Skanerone

I don't understand.

How are you playing the YouTube video? And are you sure you are watching your YouTube video at full resolution and not full screen on a 1080p monitor?

It looks about the same on YouTube as on the exported file. Pretty decent as far as game play goes. No?

What am I missing here?

If you are recording 1920X1080 why did you say you recorded at 720p?

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 8:00 PM   in reply to Skanerone

Yes, I see a difference too.

Post another rendered file if you can. One you recorded at 1280X720. Try to keep it to about 10 seconds. Just enough for me to check a few different frames. If you had it be of two completely different locations in the game it would be better.

I will export it to YouTube and and see what I can come up with.

I have posted some pretty clean video on YouTube. The example you provided is video, not game play. Much different.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 6:21 AM   in reply to Skanerone

Capture.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 6:29 AM   in reply to Skanerone

Please try again...

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 5:32 AM   in reply to Skanerone

Sorry, but the way you posted this it takes 90 minutes to download. It is a three minute download if I pay them, but I am NOT going to pay them for a download. I should have it before I leave for work today.

There are so many free sites that allow downloads, like the 20G of space you get with the Creative Cloud, or Google or Skydrive or DropBox.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 9:35 PM   in reply to Skanerone

OK. Here is what I have done.

I took took your crisp video of game play and dropped it on the New Item button to create a sequence. I checked the sequence and saw that the video was 1280X720 using 30 frames per second. Not 29.97, but 30. That could be relevant.

Then I took this screen shot of the video playing in Windows Media Player and in the Program Monitor of Premiere Pro. I see some degradation even at 30Mb/s which suprised me to be honest with you.  I read through the YouTube help and they recommed 30Mb/s for 720p so I exported at 30Mb/s.

The easiest place to spot the degradation is in the space above the letter E (before the CK) in the upper left of the frame. Some of the texture is missing.Not much. It is ever so much softer. But I don't believe that it will prove to be relevant.

Capture.PNG

So, now it is time to upload to YouTube and see what happens.

Darn, I have no way to play the YouTube video at exactly 1280X720. I just have full screen and the larger box.  Is there a way to do that? Other than setting my monitor for 720p or playing it on an old HDTV?

Oh well, here it is. Reasonably clean going in. How about coming out? Not so much. I am not happy with it. I am going to try again using CBR just for the heck of it. Crud. That didn't help. See for yourself.

I am stumped. Somebody with the capability to see it at the exact size speak up please. How is it done. (I use Chrome.)

Edit: I found a YouTube resizer that sets the medium box bigger - to 1280X720. I knew it had to be possible. But I am certainly not happy with the changes YouTube makes to a 30Mb/s file.

I am off to go try Vimeo.

Edit:

I am not happy with this either.

There is something about this video that makes it difficult for them to encode it. I have no idea what it might be. Perhaps the more technical among us can provide answers. It is not horrible, and it is better than 480p, but it isn't great.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 6:02 AM   in reply to Skanerone

My guess is that the smaller site does not encode it again. Maybe it just plays what you post if it is H.264 already?

It looks good. That is a very nice find. Thanks for the info.

Edit: My guess was wrong. They encode to 720p. Interesting. High quality even when blown up to 1080p on my monitor.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2013 4:25 PM   in reply to Skanerone

Well, in FRAPS your monitor is your camera; your movie quality depends on your monitor. Get a look on the link below; it's a fake trailler. The image is smooth cuz it was recorded with a 120hz monitor and my computer is a sli system. If you wanna a good frap movie ask someone with a close hardware to do it 4 you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkZAhYrLHi4

Obs: if you export the movie as a FLV file the image gets superb.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points