Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why won't my Spry menu bar 2.0 work on other devices?

May 21, 2013 5:16 AM

I was advised a few months ago to change my spry menu bar to spry menu bar 2.0 so that the sub-menus would then work on other devices. Which i did but now they are not working again. Does this mean i'll have to go through the same process and change them again? If so can anyone recommend a menu bar that have sub menu's that will work properly on other devices and that will hopefully last longer than a few months!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 21, 2013 6:22 AM   in reply to Ness_quick

I would suggest dumping Spry, Adobe no longer supports or develops it. I would also recommend steering clear of any javascript controlled menu system since your site would stop functioning if the viewer has their javascript turned off, or if they use a screen reader. Some JS menus also cause problems with search engine indexing.

Look into a pure "CSS accordion" or "CSS dropdown menu", there are tons of free ones available online and one major benefit is the pure css menus will work even if the viewer doesn't have javascript in their browser.

If you want something that integrates in the DW Design View, http://www.projectseven.com has some paid alternatives.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 21, 2013 10:08 AM   in reply to Ness_quick

jQuery Superfish ~

http://users.tpg.com.au/j_birch/plugins/superfish/

Supports touch devices. On Android, iOS, Windows Phone 7 and IE10 (with touchscreen), first touch will open an associated submenu, second will follow the link. Mouse and keyboard accessibility works as normal.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points