Skip navigation
sean3Dmonkey
Currently Being Moderated

need effect called Ice Fe Light Sweep for AE CS6

May 21, 2013 1:38 PM

I have an old project that is using an effect called "Ice Fe Light Sweep."  I need "Ice Fe Light Sweep" for AE CS6.  I did a search for "Ice Fe Light Sweep" for AE CS6 but nothing came up.  I would like to find the effect so I know what the original arist did with the effect.  I don't want to have to recreate and reinterpret the effect without first knowinghow the effect animated and what the effect looked like in the project.

May I ask for some suggestions.

Sean

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 21, 2013 3:26 PM   in reply to sean3Dmonkey

I'm not familiar with an effect with that name. How old is the project?

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 4:29 PM   in reply to sean3Dmonkey

I have an old project that is using an effect called "Ice Fe Light Sweep."  I need "Ice Fe Light Sweep" for AE CS6.  I did a search for "Ice Fe Light Sweep" for AE CS6 but nothing came up.

...yeah, and it won't, either!   That project file is as old as the hills!  

It hails from the days when AE was on Macs only, and computers were so stinkin' slow they used accelerator boards for certain effects in AE.  In your case the hardware was called an ICE board, and they came with their own set of effects for AE that duplicated the ones already in AE, but which utilized the board.  The "FE" designation was for "Final Effects".  I haven't heard about Final Effects since ICE boards went the way of the Dodo; I'm pretty sure they came bundled with the ICE board.

ICE boards and ICE'd effects in AE were a lousy idea:  you use the ICE effects, and you want to work on a machine with no board?  Sorry, you get no effects.  And you couldn't get the full set of effects in AE to run on an ICE board in the first place. 

I mean, this project file is OLD: from the mid 1990's.  Think AE version 3.1.  On a Powermac with 512 whole megabytes of RAM.  A single processor (no cores) screaming away at 256 mHz.  Running Mac OS 8.6.   Those numbers are indeed correct.

Even if you had all the necessary versions of the application, the operating systems and the computers to go from AE 3.1 to AE 11, ICE boards aren't compatible with currently-available hardware.  Heck, they probably aren't compatible with any thing but Powermacs.  I doubt very much that you will EVER be able to open that project file.  You may not want to recreate and reinterpret the effect,  but my crystal ball says you're going to have to, like it or not.

In the Current version of AE, CC Light Sweep ought to do the trick: it works virtually identically to the FE Light Sweep.  I think it will be somewhat faster, too.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 10:53 PM   in reply to sean3Dmonkey

What Dave said - it's the ICE board accelerated version of Final Effects Complete. CC Light Sweep should do just fine.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 8:21 AM   in reply to sean3Dmonkey

I'll try and find a rendered movie to use as a template and recreate the effect.

Well, at least you won't have to think in terms of lights, 3D layers, expressions, parenting and text layers.  They didn't exist when that project file was created.  Now, some of the newer features may help, which will be good for you.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 12:38 PM   in reply to sean3Dmonkey

I see your handle includes the term, "3D".  For more realism, do it in a 3D application, not AE.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 8:09 PM   in reply to sean3Dmonkey

In AE alone, huh?  Sort of a comic book illustration, huh?  No sweat. 

Well, there'll be SOME sweat, but not too much,  There will be a bunch of layers.  We'll assume this diamond animation lives in a nested comp, and you'll put it in the main comp for rendering.

I'll describe how I'd do this for ONE facet, and you can take it from there.  First, make put the diamond layer on the very bottom layer:

• Duplicate the diamond layer, and on the upper one, mask around the desired facet very precisely.
    • Add a black solid BELOW  the masked facet layer, add the Light Sweep efffect to the solid, and animate the sweep to taste.
    • On the solid layer, set the Blend mode to something like Add or Screen, and THEN use the masked facet as a track matte by selecting Alpha Matte on the solid.  The masked facet layer will become invisible, but sweep will only show up on the one facet.  Track mattes are cool.

Repeat the process for each facet desired.  Re-use the black solid if you want, tweaking the light sweep animation a bit to your taste.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 10:29 AM   in reply to sean3Dmonkey

Why don't people sing songs about you on the radio?

Ugh.  Who'd want to listen to it?  Beats me.

Well, here's one reason: I use an Anglicized pronunciation of the family name.  Just about the only thing that rhymes with "LaRonde" is "the pond".  After that one rhyme, it gets really ugly.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points