Skip navigation
RoysScreenName
Currently Being Moderated

Resolution questions

May 21, 2013 2:02 PM

Tags: #video_resolution #video_animations

Here's a sticky question:

I have a Premiere Elements 11 project that I'll output as a Flash video for viewing on the Web.

In this project there are a number of animations created in Photoshop/ImageReady and saved as QuickTime (*.mov) videos for inclusion in P-E.

My animations are at 72-dpi ... the internet standard.

In general, modern wide-screen computer monitors range from 15.6" (approx 13.16" wide) for laptops to 24" (approx 20.25" wide) for office computers. (Yes, there are smaller and larger monitors, but I'm targeting the primary sizes and excluding tablets.)

Now I'm concerned about how my animations will appear in the resulting Flash videos.

If I create the 72-dpi animations in wide-screen format for 15.6" monitors (about 7.4 x 13.16), will the resolution degrade when viewed on 24" monitors? (Converting 13.16 to 20.25, the math resuts in images of about 46.8-dpi.) Or will the images perhaps not show full screen on a 24" monitor?

Conversely ... if I create the 72-dpi animations in wide-screen format for 24" monitors (about 11.39 x 20.25), will the edges of the images be lost when viewed on 15.6" monitors?

I should add that I'm viewing my work on a 17.3" laptop screen (aprox 15" wide).

rh

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 21, 2013 2:11 PM   in reply to RoysScreenName

For video, PPI (Pixels Per Inch), and DPI (Dots Per Inch) do not have real meaning. What matters will be the pixel x pixel dimensions of the Video Frame Size.

If you are wishing to fill the viewer's screens on playback, I would create the animations in 1920 x 1080, as that is the highest common video standard. Soon, we will have higher standards for Ultra-HD (or whatever name gets applied), starting at 2.7K, and working up to perhaps 10K. The TV's were recently unveiled for some of these, and with the Retnia (Mac) computer displays, plus the Ultra-HD monitors from Dell, and a few others, there will be a push to larger Video Frame Sizes - just not yet.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 7:38 PM   in reply to RoysScreenName

Roy,

Not sure that I saw the comments, to which you refer. I only saw your two posts, here and the fonts one. Can you post a URL for that other one please?

Thanks and good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 7:40 PM   in reply to RoysScreenName

As for the Graphics, I still have my Speed Graphic, with three lenses, and then maybe 100 4x5 sheet film holders, plus two studio 4 x 5's. Gotta' do something with those one day.

Thanks, but others will be more likely to be candidates,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 9:26 PM   in reply to RoysScreenName

Cherry wood, and mahogany are nice, but I was more into the Bucky Fuller school, of "form following function." I always used just what I needed, whether a Speed Graphic, or a Nikon 105.

While I did use a Linhof at one point, most of my 4 x 5 and 8 x 10 cameras were Cambo, but with Schneider, or Nikkor lenses.

At one point, I used a Speed Graphic with Polaroid Type 55, for sporting events for one client. OTOH, I was no Weegee - not by a very long shot!

It was well into the "digital age," that I gave up silver-capture, and drum scans. That was how we did it in advertising photography, way, way back then...

Remember, there are still a few "dinosaurs" roaming this Earth - the meteor did not kill us all...

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 7:19 AM   in reply to RoysScreenName

Sounds like we are "twin sons from different mothers."

Personally, I feel that I greatly benefitted from growing up in the time of analog compositing, and also in the days of film, before video, or digital video. A great deal of what we did transferred easily over to digital, and even some of those terms transferred too. The jump to digital was easy for me, and rather than complian about how something needed to be done, or whine that something could not yet be done, I was still filled with amazement and wonder about what COULD be done. Even though it has been over two decades now, I still have that sense of amazement, and I can do it all on my laptop, sitting by my pool, instead of an edit-suite with a Scitex machine, and clunky controls!

I still recall nights and days of rubylith, and physically cutting A-B Roll film into little pieces, joined to yards of black leader. For me, Bins were just that - laundry bins, with a rack above them, with clothespins to hold the physical clips. Each had a grease pencil marking, to identify them, and I had a handwritten chart where each was located above that bin. Just saw one of my grease pencils yesterday.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Hunt

BTW - somewhere I still have a full set of Rapidograph pens and nibs, in a holder with a humidifier to keep the ink from drying out. Just do not know where it is - some box from an earlier move I suppose?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points