Skip navigation
logosevaluation2013
Currently Being Moderated

Converting Excel worksheets to PDF and retaining page numbering

May 21, 2013 3:07 PM

Tags: #pdf #of #separate #to #excel #conversion #page #numbers #worksheets #keeping

I am trying to convert an Excel 2010 workbook with multiple worksheets to a single PDF file using Acrobat XI.  I want to maintain the individual page numbering of each worksheet.  For example, if there are 4 pages on the first worksheet and 8 pages on the second worksheet, I want the final result to be pages numbered as: Page 1 of 4, Pae 2 of 4, Page 3 of 4, Page 4 of 4, Page 1 of 8, Page 2, of 8, etc.  Currently Adobe numbers them all sequentially across worksheets.  I get Page 1 of 12, Page 2 or 12, etc.  Any help would be appreciated.  This use to work in older version of Adobe Acrobat.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 22, 2013 10:35 AM   in reply to logosevaluation2013

At first when I tried to do this, I thought something was amiss in Acrobat XI but then I tried doing a print preview in Excel of the entire workbook and it did the same thing. Then when I googled the subject it appears that this is how it works in Excel as well as Acrobat now. Unfortunately, you'll probably need to take the added step of creating PDFs of each sheet and then doing a quick combine in Acrobat.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 11:21 AM   in reply to LoriAUC

Have you tried going to print menu and turning on Print entire workbook? If this is set all pages will be shown https://pobr5w.bay.livefilestore.com/y2p8q99fZLtNyCu7f9Lz7WZObtYAWCf6sPAEb0Vk-RRcoJ4MMMc57SUueegbG3q9SgO_U4WcuetAzu6yuOMj5DerrH--qF2FQywKHrNevNKlN59qNCzr0oCkvkbd1yDBDxB/PrintMenuA.png?psid=1

By the way don't put page numbers in excel. Add them In the PDF. They will be line up right.

Even though This is the Mac version of the Print menu so layout will be different in PC version but should have similar controls.  and this  setting Print What: should be exactly the same.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 2:18 PM   in reply to logosevaluation2013

What does it do if you leave off numbering in the excel Workbook and Use Adobe to add them.

Wish I had a sample I could use to see what issue is.

When you set to print entire workbook it adds the second sheet to end of the first (including all the pages in the sheet). then the 3rd sheet is added to last page of sheet two and so on.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 2:25 PM   in reply to logosevaluation2013

Okay I see, you need to make PDF of each sheet separately. then open the first PDF and choose insert Pages.

In this case have excel set to show page numbers. In that Case you need to print Sheet.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2013 12:15 PM   in reply to logosevaluation2013

I have the same problem. All workarounds are timeconsuming.  This solution helped 1/2 way:

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/277340-page-number-sheets -when-printing-entire-workbook.html

It offers a macro to restart each sheet at page 1, but it still uses the ++ count of the full workbook. Need total solution as per logosevaluation2013's original request.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2013 3:38 PM   in reply to cmdiamond1

I would suggest you go to Microsoft answers Office > PC or Mac.

this link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Go to appropriate Excel Forum. and ask there are several MVP's That would probably be able to figure out extact method the once you preview to see if it shows Pages numbers correctly The PDF you create will be numbered as you want.

Oh you will need to sign up for or sign in with a LiveID account from MS (its free).

Serveral Of the MVP great on Multiple Platforms. They know as much about Windows as Mac versions of office.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2013 8:53 PM   in reply to Phillip Jones

Finally Put this question To OfficeMac Answers forum

The fellow that answered said go to this link and you should find a script to use in Excel to do this:

http://www.rondebruin.nl/mac/mac005.htm

The fellow is Ron Debruin and about the most expert  on VBA and script for Office Mac and PC (Word/Excel/and PowerPont. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points