Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I get animated text to to freeze at a certain point?

May 21, 2013 5:45 PM

Tags: #adobe #text #premiere #elements #11 #animated

The animated text flies in and then disapears! I can't figure out how to get it to enter a scene and freeze.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 21, 2013 6:13 PM   in reply to strepper89

Welcome to the forum.

This is easily accomplished by Keyframing the Fixed Effect>Motion>Position for a Text Title.

You can start the Title off-screen, bring it on-screen, then pause it, where desired. Then, when it has been where you want it, you can do many things, such as change its Position to leave the screen, in any direction desired, or perhaps "fade" its Opacity.

For basic Keyframing techiniques, see our MOD's (Steve Grisetti) Learning Series on Muvipix.com.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 6:26 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Here is a look at Keyframing a Title to enter from screen-right, then pause, before exiting screen-left:

PrE11_Pause_Motion_Keyframes.png

Note: these are all Linear Keyframes, but one can change the Interpolation to maybe Ease Out and Ease In, or to Bezier, if they wish to adjust the motion of the Title.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 8:29 PM   in reply to strepper89

strepper89

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Could you please give some further details of what you plan to do?

I am focusing in on what you wrote:

The animated text flies in and then disapears

Are you applying an Animation type to your title in the Titler and then wanting to pause the Titler's Animation for a few seconds midway and then have it move on to exit?

or

Are you working with Default text (no application of Titler Animation type) and wanting it to move that default text from right to left or left to right, pause midway, and then exit left or right?

I would like to offer some comments on your question based on the information requested.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 3:16 AM   in reply to strepper89

There is a pretty crude method I use called the "Freeze Frame" in the Tools menu in Premiere Elements 11. The way I would have done this is to take the animated title to a region where there is nothing above or below it. Take the Indicator Line over it.Now move the line over to the exact point where you want the animation to freeze. Once here, use the freeze frame option. This will generate a single frame of what is currently shown on your monitor, a bitmpap image. You can now control the duration of this "still" by dragging it on the corners on the timeline. Place this where you want it and you should be done.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 6:36 AM   in reply to VDOSurfer

VDOSurfer

Your Freeze Frame method sounded great so I gave it a try and could not get it to work for my interpretation of applying your method to an already animated title. You do great work and have made numerous contributions so I know it is something that I am missing. The approach works great for a video but not for "animated titles". Do you see an obvious point that I am overlooking?

1. Right now I am interpreting animated title as either (a) one to which a Titler Animation has already been applied or (b) use of the crawl type Title starting and ending off screen (crawl and its options applied via Text Menu/Roll & Crawl options)

2. Are you using the Freeze Frame dialog's Export or Insert in Timeline option to get your freeze frame so that the Freeze Frame inserts in the Title or sits above it on Video 2?

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 7:14 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

My bad ATR. You missed nothing. I did. Big time! The response simply does not work, however logical that sounded (to me) initially. I should have done the steps before responding, instead of assuming it "will work". This now should definitely work. I tried.

1. Create a new project and add a Title

2. Animate the title with whatever animation (Title animations)

3. Export this to a video (I chose the same settings as my project - AVCHD 1920x1080 MP4 - same as default PrE11 project)

4. Import this into the project that is being constructed.

5. Bring this into the timeilne take it to the end of the timeline, beyond all assets.

6. Delete audio from this video (an additional step, that I can avoid if I export it wihout audio in step 3)

7. Take the indicator line, the CTI, to the frame where the animation needs to be "paused"

8. Do a freeze frame and do an "Insert in Movie". This creates 3 components. one before the bitmap, the bitmap itself and the one after bitmap..

9. This adds an image of 5 secs duration, that can be tweaked by holding and dragging the ends to the desired duration of pause.

10. Once done, select the three components together and right click - do a "Group"

11. Place this wherever the Animated Title.was there in the originally constructed project

ATR, thanks for noticing. I would have led the OP astray. Your attention to details is simply amazing. Let me know if this works fine now..

Now that does leave me wondering.. Why does my initial response not work? Why does the animation restart after the bitmap insertion? A bug?

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 3:28 PM   in reply to VDOSurfer

VDOSurfer

Thanks for that great follow up.

I tried the procedure in your post #6, and it did the job well. I tried it with text to which one of the animations from the Titler had been applied after creating the text as well as with text to which the Crawl option (Start Off Screen/End Off Screen) had been applied after creating the text.

Thanks again for your help on this. But those whys remain challenging.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points