Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

336 new pantone colors

May 22, 2013 12:44 AM

Tags: #missing #new #pantone #colors #336

Hi !

I have a problem: the recently released 336 pantone colors are not included in the latest CS6 InDesign pantone color libraries.

Does anybody know how to get thes new colors integrated in InDesign?

kindly, Jes

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 22, 2013 12:47 AM   in reply to jesse63

Try going to Pantone's website to see if they have an installer for this.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 1:41 AM   in reply to jesse63

What makes you think that Pantone is giving this to Adobe for free for updating all our software?

Apparently, Pantone's business model is to charge for the definitions!

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 3:28 AM   in reply to jesse63

Exactly which colors are missing? CS6 comes with the Pantone Plus library.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 3:48 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Ah I see. The Pantone 336 supplement books....

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 4:02 AM   in reply to jesse63

Spend the $49....

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 4:21 AM   in reply to Dov Isaacs

Dov Isaacs wrote:

What makes you think that Pantone is giving this to Adobe for free for updating all our software?

Apparently, Pantone's business model is to charge for the definitions!

Maybe Adobe can rent them for a cheap monthly fee.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 5:13 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

Thanks, Jongware. Now I have to wipe coffee off of my screen. <g>

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2013 8:50 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

To all:

I have read with interest the 'thread' here concerning the 336 newest PANTONE colors, and thought I would take the opportunity to set the record straight.

The 336 newest PANTONE colors were introduced in April 2012, subsequent to launch of the PANTONE PLUS SERIES products in May 2010. 

While Adobe CS6 is the first version of the Adobe suite to provide native support for the PANTONE PLUS SERIES libraries, this does not include the 336 newest PANTONE colors from April 2012.  These colors are supported within PANTONE Color Manager software.

PANTONE Color Manager was conceived in 2010 as a vehicle through which customers of Pantone could keep their digital PANTONE libraries fully up-to-date.  The software is distributed free of charge with purchase and registration of updated PANTONE color guides and books.  Each PANTONE publication has a unique serial number which when registered, becomes the activation key for a single-use activation of PANTONE Color Manager.  Thus, Pantone does not charge any additional cost to a customer for the libraries, over and above the cost of the PANTONE publications themselves. Customers who choose not to purchase updated books, or who may need additional licenses over and above the quantity of books that they own, can purchase PANTONE Color Manager for $49.00 per additional user license

The current release of PANTONE Color Manager, version 2.1, contains support for the 336 newest PANTONE colors in separate libraries, and allows users to export these for Adobe CS6 and earlier versions.  Customers who have PANTONE Color Manager installed but are missing the 336 newest colors, can either auto-update the software, or log into their myPANTONE account and download the latest installer free of charge.  Running the latest installer over the current installation will update the software to the latest release.

For detailed information pertaining to your personal situation, you may contact Pantone directly via e-mail to support@pantone.com.

I hope that the community at large will find this information helpful.

Best regards,

John Stanzione

Manager - Technical Support

Pantone, LLC

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2013 5:32 AM   in reply to jesse63

I can pretty well guarantee there will be no new features in InDesign CS6. There will probably be a minor update for compatibility between CS6 and InDesign CC. Any updates would happen in InDesign CC. Just the way it is.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2013 5:47 AM   in reply to jesse63

Dear Jesse, et al:

I am happy to provide clarification on this important issue. 

With regard to your comments concerning Adobe CS6, and lack of support for the 336 newest PANTONE colors, this is precisely the point of having PANTONE Color Manager as a solution.  With this software, we are providing our customers with a vehicle to allow immediate access to updated PANTONE libraries, without having to wait for Adobe to produce updates to their software.  The reality is that Adobe simply cannot always react immediately to produce updates to the PANTONE libraries within their software.

We understand that PANTONE Color Manager isn't perfect, and we will be working very hard to improve the user experience as we produce updates to the software moving forward.

Best regards,

John Stanzione

Pantone, LLC

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 3:59 PM   in reply to pantone support

Hello,

I found this forum because I downloaded the Pantone Color Manager (today) and several colors are *not* included in this program.

When I try to "update" - it says an error occurred and I need to try again later.

I am specifically trying to get 2192, 2230, 2136 into Illustrator CS6 and I'm coming up empty handed.

Any advice on how to get the palettes to show up in CS6, or the colors to show up in either program PCM or AI would be helpful.

Thank you!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 8:20 PM   in reply to yokohamajones

I've used about every version of PCM. I haven't ever had the application update work. However, it does update my applications (Adobe and Quark) just fine.

The numbers you list are in the 336 section. And using File | Export | Application it does put the palettes in place for use. Once exported, you need to either load  them for use via the swatches palette in ID, or add just the colors desired.

As for showing up in PCM, with it running, check for the palette. Click on the fan deck at the lower right and navigaste the pop up menu and it should be listed (or use the View | Fan deck menu items). Depending on your update settings, it should by default check for updates to "Pantone Live." Which takes more time than it ought. If automatic updates are turned off and you don't have the 336 fan decks, use the PantoneLive menu and check for updates.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 5:55 AM   in reply to yokohamajones

PANTONE Color Manager 2.1, the latest release, fully supports the 336 newest PANTONE colors.

In some cases, the auto-update may fail.  If this happens you can simply download the full version 2.1 installer, run it on top of your current installation, and it will update PANTONE Color Manager to version 2.1.  For full details, please send e-mail to support@pantone.com.

To locate the 336 newest colors, launch PANTONE Color Manager, go to View/Fan Decks and select one of the following additional libraries:

* PANTONE + Solid Coated-336

* PANTONE + Solid Uncoated-336

Also included are libraries for PANTONE COLOR BRIDGE, providing CMYK simulations for the new colors:

* PANTONE + COLOR BRIDGE COATED PROCESS- 336 New

* PANTONE + COLOR BRIDGE UNCOATED PROCESS-336 New

Best regards,

John Stanzione

Pantone, LLC

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 6:33 AM   in reply to pantone support

Thanks for keeping an eye on things here, John!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 12:12 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Hi, Bob:

I'm glad that you found my comments helpful!  I do monitor the forum and 'jump in' when I feel I can be of assistance.

Please note that you may contact Pantone at any time via e-mail to support@pantone.com.

Best regards,

John Stanzione

Pantone, LLC

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 3:17 PM   in reply to pantone support

Thank you so much!

I have an additional question - I use multiple computers (laptop, desktop, imac) and want to activate the PCM on all of the machines (of which I am a single user). When I type in the serial number, it tells me that it isn't valid - after having installed it on one of these devices.

Please advise.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 5:57 AM   in reply to yokohamajones

PANTONE Color Manager is a single-user license.  Each serial number is valid for a single installation only. 

If you have multiple PANTONE books, you can register each one individually and have an inidividual license for PANTONE Color Manager for each product registration.  Additional licenses can be purchased separately - please e-mail to support@pantone.com for details.

You can also save out the PANTONE libraries from PANTONE Color Manager and share them with other users without license restriction.  Please e-mail to support@pantone.com for details.

Best regards,

John Stanzione

Pantone, LLC

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 9:13 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

This is apparently not fixed in InDesign CC or any of the other CC apps. I just checked because I need to use two of the new colors.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 9:26 AM   in reply to stuart mccoy

Fixed? There's nothing broken here.

Did you read all of the comments in this thread?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 9:43 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Yes, I read the discussion. It's broken as far as I'm concerned. The Pantone Plus color library contains 336 new colors. Adobe claims to support this color library but in fact does not. I can overlook the fact in CS6 because the new library came out after the software was released. It should be fixed in an update in my opionion but whatever. In the latest version of their software (CC), there is no longer any excuse not to add the new color library.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 11:37 AM   in reply to stuart mccoy

The 336 library is a separate Plus library.

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/336_pantone.zip

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 12:01 PM   in reply to stuart mccoy

Dear Stuart:

Despite the fact that Adobe Creative Cloud is the newest version, the fact is that it is likely the development cycle for this product started long before the 336 new PANTONE colors were released.  As with all software companies, Adobe has a deadline date for inclusion of new features.  Most likely, the 336 new PANTONE colors were launched after this date which is why they are not supported in CC. (Any comments from Adobe on this point are certainly welcome).

Not to belabor the point, but this is the very reason for the existence of PANTONE Color Manager software - to allow our customers not to be overly inconvenienced by launch dates for new PANTONE colors that may not coincide with our software licensees' development schedules.

Best regards,

John Stanzione

Pantone, LLC

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 12:23 PM   in reply to pantone support

Hey everyone. Since Pantone is being rediculous on this, I'll provide a viable answer for all of you  loyal customers out there who dont enjoy getting the run around and being forced to provide a new income stream for pantone.

IF (this is a big one)...IF you have a previous version (before CS6) of InDesignIllustrator/Photoshop installed still, navigate to: applications>indesignCS??>presets>swatch libraries, there you will see all of the .acb files listed. Copy everything Pantone... that doesn't say Pantone+ to the same folder in your current copy of InDesign. You have to do this for each app you want them to appear in. Restart the app and you should see these new libraries listed below the rest of the pre-installed pantone+ listings in your swatches pallete add dialog box.

I had a previous set of libraries from CS3 and this worked to CS6 & CC...back up and running with my previously COMPLETE set of digital libraries again.

As for you Mr. Pantone...Pantone + seems to be a totally bogus. I have a color bridge and a formula guide swatch book sitting in front of me from 2005 that I paid you hansomely for...thankfully at the time the color bridge came with a digital version too if we registered on your site...I think...it was 2005 afterall. There are multiple colors in them that arent listed in your trusty new Pantone+ digital library included with Adobe's CS6 or CC...the whole page for 583 and numerous others is just one example. I'm not sure if you have your wires crossed or what, but the info you provided above saying only the newest of the colors since April2012's release aren't included in CS6 is COMPLETELY wrong. ...The advice to buy "this" and it'll fix it is a crazy thing to do to your loyal returning customers looking for support...especially after we've already made significant investment as a buy in to be able to use your product. To only be given the option of purchasing an addtitional Patone+ "something" to be elligable for a free download or to pay $45 to have access to something we've already paid for, used previously, and now realize has been taken away from us is crazy!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 1:09 PM   in reply to nolt4024

To the community at large:

With respect to the post above from 'nolt4024' I would again like to clarify a few points.

If you read my posts carefully, you will see that at no point did I suggest that customers need to purchase anyting additional to get the 336 newest PANTONE colors.  The purchase and registration of any PANTONE PLUS SERIES product includes a FREE license for PANTONE Color Manager software.  The only purchase involved here is a purchase of an updated PANTONE guide, which presumably customers would need to do in order to have physical access to the colors.

Secondly, with regard to your PANTONE books circa 2005, all of the colors contained therein would be available within Adobe CS6 and Adobe CC apps. Keep in mind that the PANTONE PLUS SERIES products are ordered chromatically, not numerically, so that the PANTONE numbers in older books will be paginated differently in the PANTONE PLUS SERIES books, and thus ordered differently within the libraries in PANTONE Color Manager software.

I sincerely hope this clarifies both issues for all of you.

Best regards,

John Stanzione

Pantone, LLC

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2013 12:09 PM   in reply to pantone support

John,

I didnt misread your clarification the first time before I wrote my post. And yes you are saying we have to purchase something! Either the software@$45 or a new Pantone+ swatch book@$239.

The fact still remains that you guys have changed the Pantone "numbering standard" that has been the same for YEARS...now with the numbering system change you guys have effectively made obsolete anyone's previous purchases of color books from you if they are using an Adobe product to design with (since Adobe software only contains the most recent palletes in their software now).

Secondly, what you said about my previous books is also exactly what I'm talking about. Yes the colors may still be in the library somewhere but I have no way to reference their new numbers to adobe's software because my books don't match up anymore. ...get what I'm saying yet? The only option I have is to buy your new software or new pantone+ swatch books if I want to use what's provided in adobe's software now because I have no way of physically referencing a color any longer.

That's why it's obviously a new income stream scheme for your company and also a slap in the face of everyone who's been a loyal user for years. Don't bother clarifying anything else if there's no solution your willing to provide other than, "Buy this and it'll fix it". At the very least you should offer your customers who've previously bought your products a backwards compatible workaround...and that's why I did it for you above.

Finally, here's an example for you just in case it still doesn't get thru: I can no longer look up 583 in my 2005 color bridge book (which is still perfectly fine and has been cared for very carefully since I bought it) or any previous color swatch book that isn't a pantone+ version and expect to find that same color when I go to Adobe InDesign and try to pull in a corresponding color into my swatches pallete using your new Pantone+ Color Bridge library...THAT fact effectively renders my physical swatch book useless because the indexing system has been changed.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2013 12:33 PM   in reply to nolt4024

Great. Just what we need. Another whiner complaining about a company making money.

Take it up with Pantone somewhere else please. This is not the place!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2013 1:47 PM   in reply to nolt4024

You can reload the old books into ID and Illustrator...

See Pantone Plus color libraries and read the workarounds.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2014 7:48 PM   in reply to jesse63

This won't help for the recent 336 colors but will help with missing standard colors:

Find an older version of Illustrator, in my case it was CS2, and copy your 'color books' folder across to CS6 and rename 'color books 2'... now you will have all your missing colours.

I think Panton are pretty weak to go gouging customers in this fashion - to not have previously installed colors, now missing in current pantone books in Illustrator.

$49?! or buy new Pantone books?!! I'd rather boycott your colors Pantone!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2014 7:51 PM   in reply to pantone support

Dear John Stanzione,

I find your response obtuse. I'd rather boycott your colors than allow myself to be gouged by your company.

Regards

Grumpyatpantone

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 24, 2014 6:23 AM   in reply to Rutledge Design Melbourne

You can install the PANTONE Color Manager as a demo, which lets you install the 336 libraries.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points