Skip navigation
art4life44
Currently Being Moderated

DPS - Publish an App without Apple Store

May 22, 2013 9:03 AM

Tags: #dps #store #indesign #apple #apps

Is there a way to publish an App from Indesign to another program or host other than by using the Apple Store? We are looking to create a proprietary App that only our customers can access and do not want it available on the App store. Does anyone know a way to do this out of InDesign?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 22, 2013 9:08 AM   in reply to art4life44

DPS questions are best asked in the DPS forum. I've moved your question there.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 9:09 AM   in reply to art4life44

This cannot be done without an enterprise level accounts with Apple. If

you want to do this with another provider, good luck. Enterprise is

going to cost you just about anywhere.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 10:17 AM   in reply to art4life44

You just threw up a flag for me when you said internal interactive sales presentation. The cost of Enterprise is massive. In my experience, most companies that want to have an app are not huge publishers that have an ecosystem that can support the cost. I find this a bit sad becasue DPS is just as important for small and medium businesses as it is for big city publishers. However I have not seen much interest from Adobe on creating mutually benefical solutions for smaller businesses. Some may just want an interactive catalog on the app stores, or in your case, an internal presentation. Since internal apps are locked within the enterprise edition, and there is no option to publish a single app on mutliple formats like iPad and Android, DPS in its full form just isnt going to happen for most companies.

The good news for you is that there IS a way to get to your desiered solution. By leveraging the Adobe Content Viewer, you can deliver content that the client does not want to publish to app marketplaces but needs certain parties to be able to access and use as if it was a regular old app.

This is an exact account of a recent sales presentation I delivered for a client. The client went all out on a national trade show. They had a beautiful booth with lots of interactive areas. However they wanted the on-location sales staff to have a presentation on their iPad that could be accessed anywhere on the show floor, or to take to any meetings in the future. I created the presentation for them in DPS just like you would if you were going to publish it. However instead of publishing it, the sales staff created a shared Adobe ID. For example Sales@company.com with a shared password of of Sales_01. When the app was finished is used the share function in DPS's tools to send the folio to their account. Before the show each sales person downloaded the Adobe Content Viewer, entered their shared login and received a fully functional presentation. There it will remain on their tablet until the sales person deletes it. Plus you can update it and push updates instantly when needed.

As long as you do not need to distribute it via app marketplaces, who cares if you need to use the Adobe Content Viewer to access the App. I also have clients who have used the Adobe Content Viewer to create a library of presentations and user guides for internal staff. I find that the Adobe Content Viewer is a good way to avoid chasing clients away from DPS due to it's massive investment that is aimed at large publishers.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 10:34 AM   in reply to art4life44

No problem at all. I long for the day where companies like ours can use DPS to satisfy all kinds of projects becasue it really is a great platform for creating experiences.

Test away. It will work. Best way to test this theory yourself is to create 2 Adobe ID's.

1. If you already have one you use for DPS, use that one to create a simple test page. I find it handy to keep all my created apps under one master Adobe ID.

2. Create a second Adobe ID at Acrobat.com using a REAL email and make sure when you are done to resolve the verifcation email.

3. Go to your test folio in inDesign and click the share button in the DPS tools. Enter the new Adobe ID email you created and share it.

4. Download the Adobe Content Viewer on your iPad or Android tablet and sign in with the new Adobe ID  and the test page will pop up for download. Once that connection is made, you are free to update the app under the master Adobe ID and updates will push to the secondary account as well.

HAVE FUN!

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 10:52 AM   in reply to art4life44

Yes you can. They can add you as an Administrator to the account. You do the work for them and use their system to publish the app.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 10:59 AM   in reply to art4life44

Looks like you're in good hands here. From your description it sounded

like a larger project.

For a limited audience there is no reason not to use the ACV. I've done

that on a number of occasions for my clients.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 11:02 AM   in reply to art4life44

Absolutely. You do the work at your location and also can publish it from your location as well. They just pay the bill.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 7:23 AM   in reply to art4life44

Just on a side note on how bad pricing is for adobe enterprise for a small business. (I cannot say or hint at the price or post will delete). After we got the price back for an internal app for our in-house app for sales reps for 100 of them. We found it cost effective to send 3 print designers back to school for app development and iphone/ipad app building then to work with adobe enterprise. It is sad there is a big need from small departments or small design places to do this kind of stuff and unless you make big money adobe does not care. Yes the ACV is a nice work around but it is still a work around not a full running app by it self with an icon.

As more print designers in small in house departments or small design firms get DPS to transfer the skill they do have to apps there will be more of a need for private and in-house apps. I believe like us they will grow more frustrated with Adobe and turn to alternatives.  I only hope Adobe sees this frustration in the forums and in emails and finds a way to help. DPS is still growing and right now it is great for apps on the apple store (that can get approve by apple) and big business that do handle the cost of the enterprise edition.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 8:51 AM   in reply to lastknight

I couldn't agree more with you lastknight. My shop is small but does a lot of business with me as the owner and designer. If I have something beyond me I have a network of developers I bring in. The more clients that come to me for apps, the more I have been bringing in these developers to create them. I love DPS and find it a great way to get apps done quickly and efficiently by myself, but just being able to publish apps to Apple with a CC account isnt cutting it anymore. Businesses all know what cross-platform means, and they want it. Sure there are still clients that are ok with just a native Apple app but they are growing few and far between. The ACV is only a solution if you want someting internal, but you dont get an app icon to run it.

Back before the MAX keynote I posted in the forums asking if there were plans to expand the single edition. My clients have actively approached me saying "If we pay you more can we have it on an iPhone and Android devices as well? Of course I have to say no, which sounds crazy to them. In most of those cases I now have to bring in the developers to start the process of making an app from scratch. That costs the client more and obviously costs me more both financially and mentally since I have to keep track of everyones progress and make sure the vision is realized. I Just dont understand why we cant have something in between the single edition and the Pro account that is mutually beneficial to Adobe and our clients. Like I said they WANT to pay for it. I know Adobe pushes the big memberships becasue that is where money is made, both with the yearly fee and the cost of download blocks. I believe that there has to be away to also use DPS to serve small business as well that can benefit Adobe's bottom line.

To lastknights point about turning to alternatives, it's already happening. I plan on hiring 2 employess by the end of 2013. You guessed it, they will be developers that can accomplish amazing things without DPS. It will be more cost effective to bring their talents in house than try to get my shop or my clients to climb the huge financial mountain of DPS. Here's hoping for good things!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points