Skip navigation
Kikila
Currently Being Moderated

ID CS5 Crash on Start, Rec'd Actions Did Not Help

May 22, 2013 8:40 AM

Tags: #cs5 #crashing_on_opening

I have taken the recommended actions for prefs and defaults, to no avail. Other programs fine, ID is totally down.

iMac OS 10.7.5

Before reading the main thread, I did a complete reinstall, which of course did not help at all.

Here's a link to one of my recent ID problem reports:

http://pastebin.com/embed_js.php?i=NCxNfX4s

Thanks in advance for your help.  Naturally I desperately need to work in ID right now...

Claire

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 22, 2013 8:54 AM   in reply to Kikila

Start by updating to 7.0.4 and trash the prefs using one of the methods at Replace Your Preferences and delete the additonal files in John's list at Adobe Forums: InDesign crashes at startup then post a new crash report if it continues.

If you need to find hidden files in your user library and don't know how, see Access hidden user library files | Mac OS 10.7 Lion

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 9:49 AM   in reply to Kikila

Make sure the InDesign Recover folder is empty and try starting again.

The crash looks the same, and is not one I recognize. The VM regions line is a bit odd looking --perhaps a bad font?

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 10:25 AM   in reply to Kikila

Are youy looking in your User Library? This is a hidden folder in 10.7 and later....

CS4 shouldn't be relevant, and there's no way to know if the problem will persist if you upgrade. Are you able to launch ID if you create a new user on the Mac and log in with the new account? That would definitely implicate something inthe original user settings.

to troubleshhot fonts, and there's no certainlty it is a font issue, see Troubleshoot fonts | Mac OS X

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 11:29 AM   in reply to Kikila

Start by renenabling the Tibetan language/keyboard, but no fonts and see if it works, then add half the fonts. If it fails, remove half of what you added, if it works, add half ot what's left. Repeat until all the fonts are installed or you've isolated a problem.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to Kikila

Peter's divide-and-conquer method is spot on.

As far as input methods goes: Are you using a native Mac OS input method, or a third-party one you installed? Because if it is one you installed yourself, such as Monlam BodYig, then it may well be the source of your issue. I have made quite a few "homebrew" keyboards for complex-script languages (mostly for SE Asian scripts, never for Tibetan), and I have induced all kinds of bizarro errors in InDesign with my experimentation. So don't assume that the keyboard is not at fault.

(For what it's worth, I haven't seen a conflict between OS X input methods and InDesign since 10.2, but a conflict between a built-in OS X input method and ID is also a remote possibility.)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points