I have taken the recommended actions for prefs and defaults, to no avail. Other programs fine, ID is totally down.
iMac OS 10.7.5
Before reading the main thread, I did a complete reinstall, which of course did not help at all.
Here's a link to one of my recent ID problem reports:
Thanks in advance for your help. Naturally I desperately need to work in ID right now...
Start by updating to 7.0.4 and trash the prefs using one of the methods at Replace Your Preferences and delete the additonal files in John's list at Adobe Forums: InDesign crashes at startup then post a new crash report if it continues.
If you need to find hidden files in your user library and don't know how, see Access hidden user library files | Mac OS 10.7 Lion
There wasn't an InDesign Recovery folder (in /Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version [#]...
Restarted and failed again.
1. If it's a bad font, how do I know which one and what do I do?
2. I *think* the first crash happened after opening a colleague's CS4 ID file. Could this be relevant?
3. I was thinking it was time to upgrade. Would that help, or do I need to fix this beforehand?
Are youy looking in your User Library? This is a hidden folder in 10.7 and later....
CS4 shouldn't be relevant, and there's no way to know if the problem will persist if you upgrade. Are you able to launch ID if you create a new user on the Mac and log in with the new account? That would definitely implicate something inthe original user settings.
to troubleshhot fonts, and there's no certainlty it is a font issue, see Troubleshoot fonts | Mac OS X
* Yes I was looking in my User Library -- there was no InDesign Recovery folder there.
* I created a new user as you suggested, and that user was able to open InDesign (yay!). Interestingly, for the new user, all the information in the Finder window was shown in Tibetan. Tibetan is a language option on my normal user, which I've now disabled. I had already started moving my Tibetan fonts into a Desktop folder while waiting for your reply, on a hunch.
* Going to do a restart and will get back to you.
Okay, restarted computer with normal user after disabling Tibetan as a language/keyboard choice and temporarily moving all my Tibetan fonts.
Was able to start InDesign with shift-control-option-command! Okay so that's great...
Now maybe I just need to figure out how to keep it happy whilst working in Tibetan. Do you think it's likely to be a Tibetan font that was the issue? I'am assuming the Keyboard/Input Device selection would not be an issue.
With any luck it's just one bad font, since I'd normally be in and out of Tibetan in 3-5 software programs (ID, Word, Firefox/Safari, Mail, Mental Case --- in case it's relevant).
If you can throw more light on this, please do!
Otherwise, worst case, I just keep turning everything off and on. I'd rather not establish a Tibetan user, since I still need to deal with normal English traffic, etc.
Start by renenabling the Tibetan language/keyboard, but no fonts and see if it works, then add half the fonts. If it fails, remove half of what you added, if it works, add half ot what's left. Repeat until all the fonts are installed or you've isolated a problem.
Peter's divide-and-conquer method is spot on.
As far as input methods goes: Are you using a native Mac OS input method, or a third-party one you installed? Because if it is one you installed yourself, such as Monlam BodYig, then it may well be the source of your issue. I have made quite a few "homebrew" keyboards for complex-script languages (mostly for SE Asian scripts, never for Tibetan), and I have induced all kinds of bizarro errors in InDesign with my experimentation. So don't assume that the keyboard is not at fault.
(For what it's worth, I haven't seen a conflict between OS X input methods and InDesign since 10.2, but a conflict between a built-in OS X input method and ID is also a remote possibility.)
I have tried the Monlam BodYig keyboard, but it wreaked havoc everywhere, at least for me on my machine.
I currently use both the Tibetan QWERTY keyboard and the Tibetan Wylie keyboard (I also have Otani) -- I think they are the native ones.
I know some of the Tibetan unicode fonts are also suspect. I have tried to use only the ones that are generally reviewed as okay unicode...
Enabled Tibetan keyboards -- all good
Slowly added back Tibetan fonts as directed -- all good
Made a test ID document in Tibetan -- still all good!
Sooo - good news is that everything's working again. bad news is that I don't know why. I think I will just proceed to work carefully, and if the problem arises again, try to note which font and other variables were in recent play... w
Thanks again, Peter and Joel.