Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Image Trace – two questions

May 22, 2013 9:11 AM

Hi...

The questions:

1. How do i restore a deleted preset from the Image Trace drop down panel. I accidentally deleted one of them and would like to restore it.... naturally . Is there anyway short of doing a complete reinstall?

2. I notice that when I scan some art, i get a double path. Meaning there's a path on both sides of the inked line. How do I get it to make one line/path for the inked line? IOW a single path with its thickness defined by the stroke weight.

TIA...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 22, 2013 10:24 AM   in reply to shunithD

Hi ShunithD,

1). Delete the "Vectorizing Presets" file from the AI preferences folder and then relaunch AI.

2). Can you share the snapshot please ?

Regards,

Raghuveer

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 10:55 AM   in reply to shunithD

Hi Shunith,

2) Did you look through all the options? You  may have to state version to get a precise answer.

A few days ago our high just reached your overnight low (28°). Now we are down again (10°/5°).

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 11:21 AM   in reply to shunithD

So your problem is that you want a centerline trace? Or do you want to eliminate the tracing of the white areas?

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 11:21 AM   in reply to shunithD

Right you are, Shunith, sorry.

Unless/until someone comes up with a CS6/Plugin cure, you may put in the silly work of using one step blends. The windows at the bottom should be easy enough straight away, but the chhatri row at the top is more difficult, probably also for Image Trace and whichever automated way because they are compound paths. You may cut paths and insert Anchor Points to have matching pairs (of paths and Anchor Points) to blend between.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 11:46 AM   in reply to shunithD

Hi Shunith,

I guess Monika and myself understand that you want a centerline trace. If it is right than try this:

1) Expand the traced art  >> It will result in a "Group"

2) Ungroup the artwork  >> It will result in a "Compound Path"

3) Release the compound path objects >> It will result in "paths" having Fill only with no Stroke

4) Change the FILL to none and STROKE to some color say "black"

I guess this will solve your problem.

Please do let me know if you have any doubts regarding this.

Regards,

Raghuveer

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 10:01 PM   in reply to shunithD

Then in the Image Trace options uncheck the box next to Fills and make sure the one next to Strokes is checked.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 10:17 AM   in reply to shunithD

Shunith, higher the resolution the output will be more clean/clear.

Try with the two presets: Sketched Art & Line Art. After tracing try to play around the sliders under the "Advanced" label. Hope you will get your desired result.

If you have checked the "Stroke" only option than try to increase the "Paths" slider value towards extreme right and reduce "Noise" value towards extreme left. You can also select the value "Tracing Result With Outlines" in the "View" drop-down list so that you can verify your output live.

Please do let me know if you want to know more about these options.

Regards,

Raghuveer

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 10:45 AM   in reply to shunithD

You might need to increase the width of the stroke you trace.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 11:01 AM   in reply to shunithD

Shunith,

There may be a more or less silly but simple solution, depending on your version. As always, using a copy of the artwork before you start destroying things, you may try to:

1) Just trace as shown in post #3;

2) For all instances, Object>Compound Path>Release;

3) Delete all the inner paths;

4a) If you have a version new enough, you may use Stroke inside and set the Stroke Weight as desired (you will have to adjust in some places), or

4b) Use Object>Path>Offset Path with a negative value roughly half the desired Stroke Weight, then set the Stroke weight (you will still have to adjust in some places).

Nice chattris by the way, although in other places (unless you have a row partly hidden behind the wall).

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 2:12 AM   in reply to shunithD

Shunith,

We shall look forward to hear more.

Just one question, of a more cogitative nature: what is above the sky?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points