Skip navigation
thistlevinyl
Currently Being Moderated

Form created in Microsoft Frontpage?

May 22, 2013 9:31 AM

Tags: #conversion #dreamweaver_forms_vti_bin_shtml.exe_microsoft_frontpage_form

Hello,

I am attempting to fix a form using Dreamweaver.  The form is located at the top-right corner of http://www.imagecandyusa.com

The code for the form is as follows:

<form method="POST" action="_vti_bin/shtml.exe/index.htm" onSubmit="" name="IC_home_page" webbot-action="--WEBBOT-SELF--">

<!--webbot bot="SaveResults" U-File="_private/form_results.csv" S-Format="TEXT/CSV" S-Label-Fields="TRUE" startspan B-Reverse-Chronology="FALSE" S-Email-Format="TEXT/PRE" S-Email-Address="admin@imagecandyusa.com" B-Email-Label-Fields="TRUE" B-Email-Subject-From-Field="FALSE" S-Email-Subject="SEND ME A QUOTE" S-Builtin-Fields="REMOTE_NAME REMOTE_USER HTTP_USER_AGENT Date Time" U-Confirmation-Url="confirm.htm" S-Date-Format="%A, %B %d, %Y" S-Time-Format="%I:%M:%S %p" --><input TYPE="hidden" NAME="VTI-GROUP" VALUE="0"><!--webbot bot="SaveResults" endspan i-checksum="43374" -->

The form is returning a 404 Error File Not Found:

http://imagecandyusa.com/_vti_bin/shtml.exe/index.htm

Although I checked with the webhost and the filepath above does exist, I believe there may be an error somewhere in the code. 

Can anyone identify what software was used to create this form or how I may resolve this issue?

Sincerely,

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 22, 2013 9:42 AM   in reply to thistlevinyl

Dreamweaver doesn't support FrontPage extensions.  Also, your server would need to support FP extensions.  Many do not anymore owing to the fact that FP was retired in 2009.

Nowadays form processing is almost always handled by PHP, ASP, ASP.net, ColdFusion or Perl scripts.  The one you choose depends on which languages your hosting provider supports.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 10:21 AM   in reply to Nancy O.

My web host supports FrontPage. I don't know why, but they say theyhave a lot of people using it. FrontPage was originally created by the Cambridge, Massachusetts company Vermeer Technologies, Incorporated, which is why the files and directories for FrontPage have vti in them.

Frankly, if they were going to support something right out of the starting gate, I think they should support WordPress, which is actually being developed, rather than FrontPage.

Where FrontPage extensions are in place on a server and are properly configured to handle email, FrontPage will provide you the ability to specify an email address to send the form data to as a property of the form. The program then generates the instructions needed to utilize the Webbot in the FrontPage Extensions on the server to send out your email.

This proprietary system cannot be accessed by Dreamweaver. Instead, Dreamweaver can help you create a script in a language hosted on your server, like php or ASP or ColdFusion that will do the "heavy lifting" of processing the result of the form and sending an email in response.

If the rest of your website was built using FrontPage, It's advisable to rebuild it in Dreamweaver. To do this, you'll need an understanding of HTML and CSS. Then, for your form, you would build that in Dreamweaver and use the scripting language available on your server. Since php is free and open source, most servers have that.

Here is a link for a tutorial for creating a contact form in HTML4.01 and CSS3, where you can download the script that runs in the background.

-Mark

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 11:16 AM   in reply to thistlevinyl

Start over in Dreamweaver.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 11:18 AM   in reply to thistlevinyl

It's a manual process. You need to identify all of the pages in your site that use FP extensions and convert then to another technology. Note that using FTP to manage a FP server site will break the FP extensions - which may be related to the problem you are currently experiencing.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 11:41 AM   in reply to bregent

This process may or may not be a daunting one. If you have used FP shared borders, or guestbooks, or any other FP widget, you will need to redesign your layout completely.  Sorry that there's no easy way to do this.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 12:45 PM   in reply to MurraySummers

As Murray says here, this is no small project. If you are not well-versed in HTML and CSS and cannot lay your hand on someone who can do the server-side work or don't know a server-side scripting language supported by your web host, then the best solution may be to hire a professional.

You may then be able to add content using Dreamweaver after the pro has built your website.

This is the problem with these proprietary tools like FrontPage. They rely on technologies that are not open standards, but proprietary systems that are, essentially, closed. Macromedia's and later Adobe's, Dreamweaver is entirely based on the standards that make up the Worldwide Web. The code that Dreamweaver helps you write, you could write in any straight ASCII text editor, like BBEdit, TextPad for Windows or Coda for Mac.

Assuming you know a little HTML and a little CSS, hiring a pro to develop (or redevelop) the entire site will place you in position to pull what is developed into Dreamweaver and add new paragraphs and images, paying attention to any styles that were set up by your pro.

If you cannot build a website that size yourself from scratch, it pays to hire someone like Nancy or Murray.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points