Skip navigation
bebela7
Currently Being Moderated

How to start a document which will be for both print and interactive document?

May 22, 2013 5:27 PM

I need to create a publication which will be both used as an interactive document and as a print publication. I understand that I can go to intent when first starting, however can I have both print and digital publishing documents open.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 22, 2013 5:43 PM   in reply to bebela7

Yes, you can keep both print and digital publishing documents open at the same time. Using separate intents will let each document have the correct settings for units, color space, and transparency blend space.

You may want to use RGB images which have a wider color gamut. In the print document, if you export a PDF with the PDF/X-1a preset, colors will be convert to CMYK for commercial printers who use a PostScript workflow. If your printer has a more modern workflow and can accept RGB images and transparency (e.g., they have an Adobe PDF Print Engine RIP), they will convert to CMYK using their RIP.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 9:03 PM   in reply to bebela7

[I deleted your personal information. Never a good idea to include that.]

You haven't said what version of InDesign you're using. If you're using InDesign CS6 you can choose Edit > Place and Link to create links between the first (parent) frame or text and the (child) frame or text on the second document.

You can also use the Content Collector and Content Placer tools to create links.

If you're using an earlier version, you have to use copy and paste and can't create links.

If you're using CS6, let me know, and I'll try to find links to tutorials about those features.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 5:07 AM   in reply to bebela7

It's not required you create separate documents.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points