Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

request for feedback about proposed change for keyboard shortcut

May 23, 2013 2:27 PM

One of the top feature requests for After Effects is a keyboard shortcut for showing only properties with keyframes. The keyboard shortcut U shows all animated properties, which means properties with keyframes and/or expressions. There isn't a shortcut for showing only properties with keyframes.

We’re working on improving this for a future version of After Effects, and we want your input. The After Effects keyboard is already very crowded, so we need to either find a keyboard shortcut that is not currently in use or reassign one. For reference, here’s the list of keyboard shortcuts that show properties in the Timeline panel.

One idea that we had is to change the U key to show only properties with keyframes, not properties with expressions but no keyframes. (You would still be able to show properties with expressions by pressing EE.)

Another idea that we had is to expand the use of the U key to three levels:

• U: Show properties with keyframes (new behavior).
  • UU: Show properties with keyframes and/or expressions (currently assigned to U).
  • UUU: Show all modified properties (currently assigned to UU).

The problem with either of these approaches is that they change how an existing feature in After Effects works, which means you may need to retrain yourself on how to use the keyboard shortcuts. It also will make some training materials and tutorials obsolete.

Please tell us what you think. Do you like either of these ideas? Is there another keyboard shortcut that you want it to use? A single key or a key with modifiers? (ie., Shift, Control/Command, Opt/Alt)

Please, do not use this thread for general conversation about other features. It becomes very hard to tally feedback to a focused question like this if people respond with different feature requests and such. If you want to make a feature request, please do so here. If you want to have a discussion about a different feature, please start a separate thread on this forum.

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 23, 2013 2:41 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

I think both of these options are quite effective and would take very little time to grow accustomed to.

That said, I think the second option - three levels of U functionality - is my preference.  I prefer shortcuts that are uncomplicated, and I think this method is effective and doesn't require multiple keys to achieve several behaviours quickly.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 2:50 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

If expressions are available with EE I'd prefer U just revealing the keyframes and UU revealing every change property + expressions. If you add a tripple U feature this could show only modified properties (without keyframes or expressions).

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 3:17 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

I love the idea of being able to show properties with keyframes without bringing up the expressions, but please just add it to the UUU command and leave the U and UU as is so there aren't 3 new commands to remember. I freelance, so even though I use CS6 at home base, when I go to a client who has CS5 or CS3 I have to start remembering whether there's a control or command to add to a keystroke depending on the version. It slows things down and makes for a lot of Undo activity. Please don't rearrange the keyboard for capricious reasons. One new behavior should equal one new keyboard command, not three. One man, one vote. One behavior, one command. Thanks for asking for the feedback!

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 3:45 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

My Vote is:

• U: Show properties with keyframes and/or expressions (same behavior).
    • UU: Show all modified properties (same behavior).
    • UUU: Show properties with keyframes (new behavior).

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 3:48 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

I would like it best it if the U and UU comands were left as is and a new UUU command handling the new variation.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 3:50 PM   in reply to Vulcanus

U Should reveal animated props.

Shift EE can add expressions

UU reveals all modified properties.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 4:08 PM   in reply to dannyp

Hi guys,

Thanks for your feedback so far. Keep it coming!

Some additional detail:

As noted, one of the reasons we're considering changing the behavior of how the U key works is because we're running out of keyboard shortcuts for AE that are not already in use. This is also what prompted the idea of introducing UUU. (Triple-keypress shortcuts are unprecedented in AE!)

So, an additional request: for those of you who have stated a preference to leave the existing behavior of the U key alone, please tell us why. Is it because you use U to look at expressions? Or some other reason?

All that said, I want to emphasize that the U key is not the only keyboard shortcut to consider. If you feel like another one would be better, please suggest it!

-=Tim

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 4:10 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

U - reveal all keyframed properties

UU - reveal modified properties

EE - reveal expressions

therefore U Shift-EE should display what U currently does.

I don't like triple-hitting any key. Far too clumsy for my less than youthful fingers

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 4:19 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

99 times out of 100, when I use U, I actually just want to see keyframes. I can do shift - EE to see expressions too. UU in it's current form is what I use when I open somebody else's project. So my preference would be your first suggestion of simply changing U behaviour. I do understand the woes of freelancing and having to adapt when on different versions but that happens already (hold keyframe shortcut changed recently) and progress is necessary. I would also say a big YES to using 3 tap shortcuts to add more to AE, eg time-reverse-keyframes, sequence layers could both use shortcuts.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 7:27 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

I prefer changing U to keyframed properties, UU for everything and EE for expressions.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 7:38 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Hi Todd!

Thanks for the consideration.  I agree with the the need to keep shortcuts consistent.  However, seeing as my current intent when pressing U is usually to reveal keyframes only, that change would be welcome.

Maybe a preference to toggle between current functionality and U = keys only?

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 8:41 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

I am sooooooo used to using UU for all properties, I'd really hate for that to change. Plus double versus triple tapping is really asking for "typos" and keyboard bounces. I'd much rather lose expressions from U (as it always seemed like an unexpected bonus, anyway), type it for keyframes, and then rely on typing Shift+EE to add expressions. (Or type EE, then Shift+U.)

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 9:35 PM   in reply to Tim Kurkoski

I use a lot of scripts that create expression linked copies of layers/effects. Therefore nearly every property has an expression and - as you can imagine - the U key reveals a lot of things I don't want to see and I spend much time scrolling. Also the U key used to reveal keyframes only before there even was expressions.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 10:04 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

I never use U. That key can simply go. That aside the whole thing is missing the biggest problem: property streams that have both expressions and keyframes. More than anything I often want a key that shows me expressions on properties with no keyframes, but not things like loopOut() on keyframed layers. There's no way to get that currently - the properties always show up either with EE or UU. I've said that a million times: We need a keyword/ variable inside the expression that determines this visibility. Something like

propertyKeyAccess(Animated=0,Expression=1);

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 10:59 PM   in reply to Mylenium

You survive without U!?  The ability to call expressions based on code could be nice but not necessary.  I can't think of a time I'd need it.  It would be worth a property tagging script (similar to Zorro) if I needed to be that specific.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 11:06 PM   in reply to Mylenium

If U is made to mean keyed properties EE shift+U should do what you need.  (Call expressions regardless of keys then add or remove visibility of keyed props.)

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 11:27 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Keep it simple and leave U and UU as they are and add Alt+U for "Show properties with keyframes".

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 12:31 AM   in reply to Paul Slemmer

It would be worth a property tagging script (similar to Zorro) if I needed to be that specific.

Nope, allow me to disagree. All those scripts for layer groups or otherwise usurp marker comments or add their own expression code, which, allow me to say this, stinks. They are what they are - hacks. Pretty sophisticated ones, I grant you that, but they still get in the way more than one would like.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 12:32 AM   in reply to Paul Slemmer

If U is made to mean keyed properties EE shift+U should do what you need.  (Call expressions regardless of keys then add or remove visibility of keyed props.)

Yupp, of course. Such a combo could work, too, but it currently doesn't exist.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 2:08 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Caudate would also suggest Alt/Opt+U for keyframes only.

Pros: it doesn't change existing behaviour and the proposed combination is not currently in use.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 7:31 AM   in reply to Chris Meyer NM

I agree with this one, Chris. removes a small functionality from what we're used to (whether it be needed or not), but expands on the U's and E's functionality by using the shift modifier to include both property exposures.

Personally I only ever used U for keyframes, and EE for expressions.. adding them together using a shift modifier just seems to be straight logic.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 7:44 AM   in reply to del_razor

U for keyframes only

UU for all changed properties

EE for expressions

Add Shift + EE to see expressions and keyframes

And most importantly make sure that if you have no layers selected and you press Alt/Option + p, or s, or a, or r, or t you don't set a keyframe for every layer in the comp. I can't tell you how many times in the last few years this has fouled up a comp and required several minutes to fix. No layers selected, no keyframes.

Last but not least, give us the Photoshop keyboard shortcut editor please.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 8:06 AM   in reply to Vulcanus

Vulcanus wrote:

My Vote is:

+1

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 9:13 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Both ideas are very good. I agree that showing only animated properties (without expressions) is a good idea. I would go for whatever solution, however the point about training materials becoming obsolete is a huge disadvantage. Therefore my vote is to make additional shortcut (that was never mentioned in any tutorials, because it didn't exist): for example Ctrl+U - to show only properties with keyframes and Ctrl+UU to show all modyfied properties (excluding expressions). That would allow previous shortcuts to still be valid and not change users habits.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 9:17 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Either are actually great solutions for me, but I think I would prefer the three levels of u.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 9:28 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

I want a shortcut that only SHOWS the keyframes, even if that property has an expression. Eg I want the expression to be twirled up when I use this shortcut to reveal it. Of course, it is slightly useless to show all properties with keyframes but not ones which also have expressions. But if expressions are twirled down it can take up huge, huge amounts of vertical space in the timeline that makes viewing your keyframes actually MORE difficult. This is very important.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 9:39 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

agreed. When I'm editing keyframes for timing concerns or curves, I don't need to see expressions, even if they ARE on those properties. I might have a wiggle expression on ever position attribute of every layer, but only 10 of those 100 layers have keyframes. I'd like to be able to just swing open the keyframed properties only and not have any other space taken up or changed due to the keyframed layers or the other layers having expressions.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 9:42 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

I am still on board with U + Shift EE.

About once a week I instinctively try this to find out that it doesn't work.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 10:05 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Yes. This is a good point. I often make animation based on expressions, but it takes some values from a slider or some other controler. Maybe that's what UUU could do?

My point is simply not to change current behaviour - just add new on top of it - like Ctrl+UU, Ctrl+U, or UUU.

as a reply to Todd's reply to Steve's reply :)

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 10:14 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Yes, I share the same concerns as SteveKer, and am on board with harryfrank that U + Shift EE is the way to go

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 10:18 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Given the new suggestions, I change my vote to:

Ctrl+U = Show Keyed Properties with Expressions Twirled Up (new)

Ctrl+UU = Show Value-Modified Properties with Expressions Twirled up (new)

Alternatively, the auto-twirling of expressions could be controlled by a composition panel button. (Replacing Brainstorm with something useful?  Haha.)

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 10:38 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

This is a GREAT idea!!! I only ever use U when I need to look at keyframes and EE when I need to look at expressions.

I think it would be the simplest solution to just remove expressions from the U hotkey.

GREAT GREAT GREAT!!!   Thanks for moving our favorite program forward!!!

Trent Armstrong - Founder, Dallas After Effects User Group

http://www.dallasaeug.com

@AETrent   

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 10:47 AM   in reply to Paul Slemmer

(By value-modified, I mean properties where the original value is not at default regardless of whether an expression has been added.  ie. A property at default but has an expression would not show up when Ctrl-UU is called.)

On a fairly similar note:  For consistency, alt- before any visibility stroke should add a key to those properties.  This works for things like alt-T, alt-S, alt-P etc. but not for alt-U, alt-SS, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 11:03 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

I still feel modding U to show animated params, keeping UU, and then using Shift EE to add expressions is the most logical and least intrusive solution.

this change is nothing like how option dbl click was reversed... that was a major change

Using a modifier key to change how the viewing works seems overkill as that is a complete change to how things work

and as far as control goes, do we mean control on windows but command on mac?

since thats how all other key commands work then it should follow the same mappings otherwise it will be even more confusing for people who swap platforms on a regular basis

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 11:45 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Completely feel the same way as Steve. I want a shortcut to show ONLY keys.

Being able to concentrate strictly on the keys without being distracted by expressions would be a big time saver and be more efficient when selecting groups of keys.

Keeping the behavior "U" centric while leaving the existing shortcuts alone makes the most sense to me for tutorials, as well as older versions that freelancers may encounter.

My vote would be to add control-U (show keyframes only), and control-UU (show all modified parameters minus expressions) and leave the rest as-is.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 12:39 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva
    • Vulcanus wrote:

My Vote is:

It just makes the most sense, and it to keeps all those tutorials valid.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)