Skip navigation
joeyhathorne
Currently Being Moderated

CC Light Rays From Camera Perspective?

May 23, 2013 8:24 PM

Hey guys, This may be a newb question but i cant seem to find anything on it. I have been messign with CC Lightrays in After Effects 5.5 and im using it by adding keyframes to lower and up the intensity back and fourth to make it look like the light is moving. My question is though, How can i get it so that the source of the rays is off screen yet fills the screen with its rays? Because the more you drag the source light off screen, the more it makes a cone chape of light. Also, i wanted to know how i can make the rays coming at me when im facing the camera. I have a shot where im looking at the camer and i want it to look like im looking into the light rays and im also surrounded by it. Like im in a beam. Any help qould be great.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 23, 2013 9:52 PM   in reply to joeyhathorne

You can't get "off screen" rays - there would be no pixels that generate them. You really have to use larger layers/ pre-comps. Similarly, rays coming at the camera would merely be an illusion by cutting your contour "shadow" from another shape that generates the rays, but that shape would have to extend beyond the contour to actualyl be visible...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 28, 2013 2:26 PM   in reply to joeyhathorne

Hi Joey, what Mylenium referred to was Precomposing: Have a look at the screeshot. Supposed you have the object that is the source for the light rays on the "Your Object" layer and the CC Light Rays effect on an adjustment layer above. Then select both layers, right click and choose "Pre-compose" (Move all attributes). This results in a new composition, in form of a single layer, that took the place of the old ones. This new layer can be scaled up so that the source of the rays move outside the screen while still shining into the picture.

Light Rays.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points