Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Cannot change cross dissolve alignment! (grayed out)

May 23, 2013 9:33 PM

Tags: #premiere_pro #premiere_pro_cs6 #transitions_problems #transitions_alignment

I'm a refugee from FCP7, where to change a cross dissolve you right-clicked and adjudted the alignment. Now I understand you have to go into the effect controls panel to edit a transition. Fine.

But when I go in to edit my simple cross dissolve, the "alignment" option is grayed out!

It seems that cross dissolves at the end of clips can ONLY end at the cut, and dissolves at the beginning of clips can only start at the cut. I've tried dragging the transition from the effects panel too -- only allows it to be an end-at-cut alignment. WTF?

On my top layer, I have a clip that ends with the end of the speaker's sentence. I don't want to fade into the next clip (which is on the track below -- another camera angle) AS she finishes her sentence. I want to fade during the pause after her last word. In FCP, I'd just add a cross dissolve to the end of the top clip and then change the alignment to "start at edit" in order to achieve this.

WHY can't I do the same here in Premiere?

It seems I am going to have to manually go in and and extend the length of the clip exactly the same # of frames as my cross fade and then apply an "end on cut" transition because that's the only transition available to add to the end of the clip.

That would be nightmarish. You should be able to adjust the alignment of a transition eno matter where it occurs.

Is it really the case that you can't change the alignment of a transition that comes at the end of / beginning of a clip?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 23, 2013 9:47 PM   in reply to wondtacular

My guess is that you have Clips with inadequate Handles (or extra Frames before the In Point, or after the Out Point, of the Clips). This article will explain Handles in more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5264782#5264782

Hope that is all that it is and good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 2:17 AM   in reply to wondtacular

Is it really the case that you can't change the alignment of a transition that comes at the end of / beginning of a clip?

That is correct.

It seems I am going to have to manually go in and and extend the length of the clip exactly the same # of frames as my cross fade and then apply an "end on cut" transition because that's the only transition available to add to the end of the clip.

Yes, or move the second clip up/down to the same track. Make them but-to-but and add the cross dissolve.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopextended/features._sl_id-conten tfilter_sl_solution_sl_hidden%2Bgems.html?trackingid=JOQEW

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 7:02 AM   in reply to wondtacular

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 7:13 AM   in reply to wondtacular

Sounds fine to me but I do not miss this feature. And I have been using Premiere for quite some years now as a non-professional.

This is nothing personal but I am getting a bit tired of reading: this like FCP, that like FCP.

This is Premiere and needs to stick to its own identity. Dont get me wrong I am not against improvement.

So if you think this feature should be in the next version of Premiere, please file the feature request.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 9:05 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

I am getting a bit tired of reading: this like FCP, that like FCP.  This is Premiere and needs to stick to its own identity.

Here, here!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points