Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

White Balance

May 23, 2013 9:23 PM

Hello Everyone, I have a question regarding white balance.

Shooting With my Canon 5D, shooting RAW, I choose Auto White balance. At the end I shoot a Gray-Card with the same Lighting that I had. Later I open the image with the Gray-Card inside the camera raw, and I select it with the white balance tool. then I get the perfect White Balance. I personally like the Gray-Card which has from very light gray to very dark gray.  I'm still using Photoshop CS5. Now there are many products out there such as Color Checker. do you guys think I can get better color Balance or Color Correction using those 3rd party products. Also My Monitor is calibrated using Data Color spydare 3Elite.

Thanks

Simon

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 23, 2013 10:33 PM   in reply to animationlife

As someone coming from the video world, using auto-balance kinda defeats the purpose of using any charts/ targets at all. The whole point is to manually set a color temperature/ reference point and then use that as a fixed formula how to color correct your footage to a "neutral" color in post or already achieve a "neutral" color look on location. If you get my meaning: Your problem is not what target to use, but the whole procedure. What you are currently doing may work on some level for studio shoots where the lighting doesn't change much, but even then you may still actually see differences in color range usage when you actually inspect the histogram. If you use auto balance, you'd actually have to a have a reference in every image like a greyscale gradient strip mounted on a pole in a fixed location relative to your primary light or similar...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 24, 2013 12:54 AM   in reply to animationlife

If the custom WB is consistently used (calibrate once, store the setting), there should be no problems. It just sounded like you let some automatism handle it on a shot by shot basis, which could have ill effects. So if you don't change the WB during the session, everything would be okay. Using complex color charts should not be necessary beyond the good old Kodak color strip or any other "standard" chart. Digital shooting benefits however from having a reasonably large reference for red/ green/ blue color to detect issues with debayering, chroma undersampling, spatial alignment issues of the individual color cells/ channels or different color sensitivity (if e.g. the blues look too dark, you may need to use different light or a more blue-ish WB setting).

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points