Skip navigation
Sateesh Sai
Currently Being Moderated

Unable to open the FLA

May 24, 2013 1:18 PM

Tags: #error #open #to #unable #the #fla #unexpected

My CS5 Flash crashed and i'm unable to open a FLA file.. says unable to open the file.. i tried the .zip and rar method.. but it's not showing the library etc when i change the extension to .zip.. the zip wont even open.. i have spent a lot of time working on this.. and this sucks..

Can anyone help me? It's kind of urgent.

Replies
  • kglad
    72,228 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    May 24, 2013 1:27 PM   in reply to Sateesh Sai

if you don't have a backup fla, you can try repairing the zip and/or you can try decompiling a working swf.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,228 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    May 24, 2013 4:10 PM   in reply to Sateesh Sai

you can try and repair the zip by using a zip repair tool.  there are probably free ones (search using google) if you don't have one (like winrar).

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 25, 2013 9:07 AM   in reply to Sateesh Sai

Hello Sateesh.  This is a very common problem with Flash Professional, even in the fully updated CS6.  For starters always use version control.  Create a second copy of your FLA using 'save as.'  That is not a fix but a future measure for you to employ.

As for your question, I hope you tested the FLA.  If you did, you will have a SWF file in the folder of your FLA.  It may also show up as an HTML file when you look at it.  Anyway, download SoThink decompiler from here: http://www.sothink.com/product/flashdecompiler/download.htm

Go on YouTube and find out how to use it.  It is very easy.

Next, download JPEXS free decompiler from here: http://www.free-decompiler.com/flash/  . 

Decomplile the SWF in a new folder and retrieve your FLA.  Sothink will give you a very ugly FLA with like 40 frame layers (even if you only had three).  JPEXS will retrieve your actionscript (except for timeline code which, I am sorry to say, may be lost forever). 

I hope this will make it easier for you to recover your work and get back on track.  I also had to learn this the hard when I ran into the ubiquitous "Unexpected file format" error which Adobe refuses to fix.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Edit: If you need further help upload the SWF (not the FLA) and I will try to recover it for you.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points