Skip navigation
sclark14
Currently Being Moderated

Tips for minimizing size of interactive SWF's

May 24, 2013 1:46 PM

I am working on a number of projects involving interactive SWF's created in InDesign CS5.   Outside of the standard file sizing options available within the export interface, what are some recommendations for keeping exported SWF files to a reasonable size?   My projects are routinely exporting at 14-16MB in size, even when I set the compression to JPEG, JPEG quality to LOW and the resolution PPI to 72.  

My documents are rather complex with numerous embedded animations & object states as well as a considerable amount of object effects (drop shadows, bevels, inner-shadows, etc.) so I am not expecting miracles here, but if I could keep my SWF files under 10MB, that would be huge.  Clients are occassionally having issues loading some of my larger size projects and that is a problem. 

Also of note is that I host through GoDaddy; is it possible that a better hosting service will make a significant difference in terms of load times? 

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve  

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 24, 2013 2:18 PM   in reply to sclark14

The size of these files has never been what you'd get out of Flash and

likely never will be.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 2:31 PM   in reply to sclark14

None I know of and quite honestly, with the proliferation of mobile

devices, SWF is something there's less and less market for.

I don't think there's much you're going to be able to do with that. I

would seriously recommend that you look at Adobe Edge for HTML5 based

animations instead.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 5:06 PM   in reply to sclark14

There's really nothing I can offer on this or I would take a look. The size of exported SWF files has been an issue since that feature was added. What you may want to do is download a trial of CS6 if you're using something earlier and see if that makes a difference.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 12:13 AM   in reply to sclark14

Hi Steve

Do you have lot´s of extracted PSD-files in your document? They are usually bloating the file size because InDesign does not use JPG with them (even if you choose JPG)... instead of that, PNG will be used.

There´s other tips in our FAQ:

http://www.edocker.fi/index.php/en/support/frequently-asked-questions

Open Other Issues tab and scroll down to > My magazine`s file size is HUGE! How can I optimize it?

The way you host your files may influence  significantly to the loading speed. We have couple of clients who has really put effort to the server side and make sure all the caching tricks are in use. Their SWFs are loading really fast every time, because they are stored in server´s cache memory. I´m not sure if you can do that sort of stuff with GoDaddy servers tough....

ps. we are releasing soon a new distribuiton solution called eDocker Library. It can be used for distributing eDocker projects, plain PDF files on practically any HTML/HTML5 content to any Win/Mac/iOS/Android user.... distributed content can be free/paid, public/private so system can be used for selling publications as well as making corporate inHouse distributions....

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points