Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Deleting Photos in Bridge

May 24, 2013 3:01 PM

When I open Bridge I see 100's of thumbnails from previous sessions.  There are so many that it makes working with Bridge very cumbersome.  How can I get rid of these just in Bridge without actually deleting them from my computer?

Replies
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 24, 2013 3:35 PM   in reply to cgk92024

How can I get rid of these just in Bridge without actually deleting them from my computer?

You can't, Bridge is a browser and reflects the contents of your computer. If you delete them in Bridge you also delete them form your computer.

You should first try to learn a bit more about Bridge and the power that can be for you in organizing files.

Try this for a start:

http://www.creativepro.com/article/take-charge-bridge

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 24, 2013 4:29 PM   in reply to cgk92024

However, is there any way in which I can get Bridge top stop displaying the images

Yes, many ways in fact, you can customize a lot of settings and organize things the way you want it to be.

There is the sort order, the option for stacks, the filter panel and most important the folder panel. You can create folders or choose a folder or subfolder in this panel (that reflects the folder tree on your system) and move the files to a new location using drag and drop or the move to command.

Lot's of options, it only needs a bit of study first, Bridge has no steep learning curve, it is very logical to understand

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 24, 2013 5:25 PM   in reply to cgk92024

It sounds like you put everything into one folder.  Most set up folders to seperate photos.  For example main folder Pictues, subfolder 2012, sub folder under 2012 would be January - March, then April - June, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 6:40 PM   in reply to cgk92024

Just to elaborate a bit on what you've been told so far:

cgk92024 wrote:

…is there any way in which I can get Bridge top stop displaying the images I've previously loaded into Bridge?…

Please understand that you have NOT loaded anything "into" Bridge.  Bridge is just a file browser, nothing more and nothing less.  In its first iteration it started out as Photoshop File Browser and was called exactly that.  A file browser just let's you look at files.

A browser is akin to a telescope or a pair of binoculars you place before your eyes in order to look at the world just as it is, where it is.  You don't "load" anything "into" your telescope or  binoculars.

Bridge doesn't edit or manipulate anything, it just hands the files to the appropriate application, whether that be Adobe Camera Raw, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign or even MS Word or Excel. It then keeps a dynamically changing cache of thumbnails for display only to show you thumbnails and previews.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 6:42 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt Y wrote:

It sounds like you put everything into one folder…

Good observation, Curt.  Some times it's easy to overlook the obvious.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points