Skip navigation
SteveH59
Currently Being Moderated

Is it possible in Elements 11 - movie height/width question

May 24, 2013 3:09 PM

to export a movie to your computer (for later use on a Web page) according to your own size definitions?

For example, I have a Web page that is expecting a movie with the following: width=275 pixels by height=240 pixels. It's important that I keep those measurements otherwise the layout of the page becomes distorted and unworkable because there is a 'knock on' effect.

Therefore, I need to define the size of the movie in Elements itself (unless there's another way).

At the moment, if I right-click on the movie in Windows 7 (that is, the movie I have exported from Elements 11), and select Properties, I am only able to see the size of the file in KB, MB, or whatever, and not the actual height/width dimensions.

Thanks.

Steve

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 24, 2013 3:26 PM   in reply to SteveH59

Sharing for Computer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1058237 might help

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 3:54 PM   in reply to SteveH59

Steve

Pixel dimensions (width and height in pixles) are the only meanful parameters here.

What are the properties of the source media (frame size, frame rate - interlaced or progressive, aspect ratio, etc) for these 275 x 240 pixel movies that you want to display on your web site?

The key is to get them into the Premiere Elements 11 project so that they display without black borders in the Edit Mode Monitor space for editing purposes.

Once we get that accomplished, then you can set your export settings to include the frame size that you want along with other required settings. Have you selected a specific export type yet? Please supply the requested information. With that information I will offer a plan for the task.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 4:49 PM   in reply to SteveH59

SteveH59

What I was after were details of what you are actually going to import into Premiere Elements for editing so that you can get a file to upload to your web site. We can go for a .wmv export file if you want, but first I wanted to get the source into the program in an appropriate workspace for editing.

For your source...

Frame Size

Frame Rate

interlaced or progressive

Pixel Aspect Ratio

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 6:36 PM   in reply to SteveH59

Steve

For Premiere Elements (any version) that is considered an atypical frame size (360 x 264 pixels) and atypical frame rate (12 frames per second). Nonetheless, I will be back to your thread within the next two hours with something for you to try for your to achieve your goal.

To be continued...

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 7:12 PM   in reply to SteveH59

SteveH59

The plan

Open Premiere Elements 11 Windows and go to File Menu/New/Project.

In the New Project Dialog that opens set for:

NTSC DV Standard

Before clicking OK to exit the New Project dialog, put a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Settings on this Project"

Then with Add Media, browse to and select your 360 x 264 pixels @ 12 frames per second source. It will go into Project Assets. From there you drag the clip to the Timeline Expert View.

Edit if you want or else continue to your choice for export. In this example, I am going to describe one with the specific criteria that you gave.

Publish+Share

Computer

Windows Media

From Presets, select "720 x 480 4:3 29,97"

Then go to the Advanced Button/Video Tab where we will go to work customizing the export preset. The suggested settings are:

SuggestSettings.JPG

This will give you a Windows Media Video 9.wmv 274 x 240 pixels @ 12 progressive frames per second. I had to make the width 274 instead of 275 since it had to be a multiple of 2.

This is just one example according to your specifications. There are many other possibilties. We can discuss other choices if this one is satisfactory and you want to explore others..

Please update us on your progress when you get a chance.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 8:35 PM   in reply to SteveH59

Steve,

It happens to many.

You are in Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG, not Publish+Share/Computer/Windows Media. There is more after Adobe Flash Video, MPEG, and AVCHD, You need to scroll down to the rest.

WMV.jpg

The lineup includes:

Adobe Flash Video

MPEG

AVCHD

AVI

Windows Media

QuickTime

Audio

(Note: Do not forget to install the latest version of QuickTime on your computer with Premiere Elements.)

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 9:17 PM   in reply to SteveH59

Steve

Please refer back to my screenshot in post #9.

Note that in this case there are 3 tabs under that Advanced Button

Audience

Video

Audio

Based on your screenshot in post #12, you are in the Audience, not the Video Tab. You want to be in the Video Tab.

I will be signing off now also. It is after midnight where I am. I will check in the light of day for further development with your project.

Thanks for the follow ups and staying with the troubleshooting.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 6:13 AM   in reply to SteveH59

Steve

One of the factors that influences file size is the Bitrate setting.

Note that you left the Bitrate at 1500 Kbps (kilobits per second). For the example, I used 3000 Kbps. It looks like my Bitrate setting is not shown in the screenshot that I posted for the suggested settings. I thought that I had included all of the bottom portion of the export settings dialog. Sorry about that.

The genealization is higher Bitrate, higher quality, but larger file size. And, lower Bitrate, less quality, and smaller file size.

The goal in this regard is to find the compromise between quality and file size.

Thanks for giving the suggestions a try.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 11:08 AM   in reply to SteveH59

Steve,

Thanks for the follow up.

Please change the pixel aspect ratio to square pixels. That way you will then get the frame size that you used with any correction factor applied to it.

You can lower the bitrate if the file size is too large for your purposes, but the quality most likely will go down. In that type of situation, you will need to find a compromise between your file size and quality by adjusting the bitrate accordingly.

Please let us know if you are OK with the latest suggestions on what you just posted.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 12:15 PM   in reply to SteveH59

Steve

Thanks.

Do not hesitate to ask questions that evolve from your further exploration and experimenation with the suggested workflow.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points