Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

File mysteriously reverted to original

May 24, 2013 10:46 PM

Tags: #revert #photoshop #to #cs6 #original

I have been working on a painting for a few days, and after I was done with the underpainting, I saved the file as another one with a different name, and continued work on that file.

I had finished it, saved, and left photoshop open for a few hours. Later today I came back to it to make some final adjustments and while I was drawing, it suddenly and apparently for no reason reverted to the state it was when I first saved it (that is, like the original file).

I know there's probably no way to recover the file how it was before this thing happened, but does anyone know what might have happened?

Something weird though, is that I opened the original file, the first one, and it had bits of the work that was supposed to be saved on the newer file.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 24, 2013 11:13 PM   in reply to lullehs

You need to give more info before anyone can help.

Please read this FAQ for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers: 

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 11:26 PM   in reply to lullehs

What exact version of Photoshop?

There was a bug, I believe with version 13.0 and/or 13.0.1.  Make sure you are updated to at least 13.0.4.

Files created with that buggy version are damaged forever.  You'll just keep losing work.  They need to be recreated from scratch apparently, if memory serves.  Not sure if copy and paste into a new document cures the corruption or not.

Message was edited by: station_two

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 11:42 PM   in reply to lullehs

lullehs wrote:

It says it's version 13.0 x64. Does that verision has said bug?

Yikes!       Yes, that is in all probability  one with the bug.  You MUST update to at least 13.0.4 ASAP.

lullehs wrote:

…The file isn't damaged, it just reverted back to the original by itself.

Oh, yes it is!  That is precisely the way that particular bug manifests itself in a damaged file, by making you lose work when saving.  

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 11:52 PM   in reply to lullehs

13.0 x64 just means that you are on the original release version which happens to be 64-bt (x-64).

Are you on a subscription, or on a perpetual license?  It makes a difference on how you update.

Be advised that you WILL continue to lose work on that file,

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 11:58 PM   in reply to lullehs

lullehs wrote:

How do I update?…

This is the menu item you should be seeing and selecting:

Screen shot 2013-05-24 at 11.53.39 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 12:03 AM   in reply to lullehs

lullehs wrote:

…Is there any way to stop that from happening? What if I duplicate the file and save it under another name?

No; as I said before the damage is permanent.  Duplicating the file will duplicate the corruption.

What I suggest id that you create a blank document of the exact same pixel dimensions (width x height) and the same ppi resolution,  then copy the entire original document (Command+A) and paste into the new one.

I'm afraid dragging the layers from the old document to the new would also drag the corruption along.  Not sure.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 12:05 AM   in reply to lullehs

lullehs wrote:

I did that but Photoshop isn't even in the list.

What list?  Are you sure you are looking at the Photoshop Help menu inside Photoshop?

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 12:10 AM   in reply to lullehs

lullehs wrote:

I did that but Photoshop isn't even in the list.

Maybe you moved the Photoshop default installation?

Photoshop, like all Adobe applications, wants to reside directly in your applications folder.  DO NOT under any circumstances create any subfolders in a misguided effort to "organize" things.  If you do create a subfolder, the updater won't find Photoshop.  Same happens if you move the Photoshop folder from its default installation location o, much worse, to a different drive.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 12:46 AM   in reply to lullehs

Screen shot 2013-05-25 at 12.12.36 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 12:55 AM   in reply to lullehs

lullehs wrote:

…I managed to update Photoshop on my laptop though. Should I uninstall and reinstall it on my desktop?

That may very well have to be done, but…

…before you mess with Photoshop further, make sure to quit the application and then run Repair Permissions with Apple's Disk Utility.  After that run the Adobe Uninstaller to uninstall Photoshop.  After you uninstall Ps, again run Repair Permissions with Apple's Disk Utility, then re-install Photoshop from scratch.

After you have re-installed Photoshop, once again run Repair Permissions with Apple's Disk Utility, and then apply the Photoshop 13.0.4 combo updater.  After that's done—you guessed itonce again run Repair Permissions with Apple's Disk Utility.  I know, that will make it the 4th time. 

After that, you should be good to go.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 12:58 AM   in reply to lullehs

lullehs wrote:

No, it's still there in the Applications folder, inside its Adobe Photoshop CS6 folder…

…and you are sure that you have not re-named anything in the path to the application, something like your hard drive, your users folder, your Home folder, the Applications folder or anything like that?

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 2:10 AM   in reply to lullehs

Glad you succeeded.

Copying the contents of each layer  into a freshly created, identical document sounds like a good plan.  Just remember not to drag the layers from one document to the other one.  Hope you can do it through the clipboard by copy and paste.

If you have sufficient RAM and the canvas is not humongous, it should work.

Good luck.  Be glad you asked! 

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 2:15 AM   in reply to lullehs

Incidentally, the reason for running Repair Permission after each install, uninstall and re-install on the Mac is that Adobe's installers and uninstallers routinely mess with Permissions on the Macintosh.

The installer teams are the bane of the existence of the enginnering teams. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 11:42 AM   in reply to lullehs

There are three versions of Save, with one variation. Knowing exactly what you get, might be helpful.

1. Save will overwrite that file on the system, or overwrite a previous Save. You still have that file Open in Ps.
    2. Here's the variation: If, at Save, you change the file's name, or location, you have effectively invoked Save_As.
    3. Save_As allows one to change the name, and/or location, and keeps that new Save_As file Open in Ps, but leaving the origianal untouched - if things do not go "wonky."
    4. Save_As_a_Copy is like Save_As, in that you can change the name, and/or location, BUT it does not Open that Image in Ps. It is just Saved to the system, with the new name and location. You will still be working on the original. That difference can be confusing.

I was not aware of a "Save Bug," so Station_Two educated me on that.

Good luck, and hope that you can get close.

Hunt

PS - this does not address any AutoSave functions.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 11:50 AM   in reply to lullehs

Maybe Station_Two can answer that, and then I will learn something else new!

I cannot help there.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 12:59 PM   in reply to lullehs

No clue as to what triggers the bug, although leaving the file open and stepping away from the computer after making the copy was a commonly reported factor when the bug reports first came to light.  It is an intermittent occurrence, so I'm not surprised this is the first time you notice it.

I seem to remember the speculation was that it was a glitch in the management of the temp files of both files coexisting inside the Photoshop scratch disk.  Users with their boot drive set as their primary Photoshop scratch disk

I've never experienced it myself, as I apply the updates the instant they're announced in this forum, and I don't leave open Photoshop files unattended, plus I have a dedicated, physically separate internal hard drive for Photoshop scratch.  Finally I extremely rarely have more than one file open.

I cant imagine going one week after a Photoshop update is released without applying it, let alone a whole year. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 1:02 PM   in reply to lullehs

Oh, and I'm cluless as to Content Manager too… 

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 4:53 PM   in reply to lullehs

lullehs wrote:

Remember I said I couldn't update Photoshop? Something probably went wrong during instalation so it never notified me when it had an update…

I haven't relied on the Adobe Auto Updater for years and years.  It has been broken forever in one way or another since I can remember.

It was suppossed to have improved as of CS5 nad/or CS6m but…

Adobe engineers and even senior program managers have voiced their disgust with the installer teams in their blogs and such, thereby expressing their frustration at not being able to reveal what they would like to do to the necks of the members of said installer teams.

I just keep checking here all the time.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 6:45 PM   in reply to lullehs

lullehs wrote:

…Wow, everyone really hates the installer teams, huh?

Well, I suppose their families don't…

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 27, 2013 4:23 AM   in reply to station_two

I wonder if the bug is not linked to File>revert, but it's supposed to be limited to the last saved state...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points