Skip navigation
jooeey
Currently Being Moderated

How do I cover Bald Areas of Head with Hair ?

May 25, 2013 12:20 AM

Hi Guys,

I am using Photoshop CS5 Extended ver.12.0.4x32.

I wanted to know what is the easiest way and what feature of photoshop will help me cover a bald head with hair. What I am doing is there is this picture of person who has hair in some portion of his head and I am trying to cover the bald areas of that person with hair. How can I do that ? what is the easiest way of doing it ?

Thanks in Advance !

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 25, 2013 1:06 AM   in reply to jooeey

With the clone stamp tool.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 2:27 AM   in reply to jooeey

Check the tutorials on Adobe TV, read the Help files in Photoshop, Google, read a book and learn to use the basics.

E.g.:  http://tv.adobe.com/search/?q=Photoshop+clone+stamp&product_id=0&topic _id=&release_id=&t_lid=

Teaching you Photoshop from the ground up exceeds the scope of the forum.

Photoshop is a professional-level application that makes no apologies for its long and steep learning curve.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 4:22 AM   in reply to jooeey

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 11:15 AM   in reply to jooeey

I agree that the Clone Stamp Tool would be where I would start, plus would do the Cloning TO a New Layer, above the Background, and I would also create a Selection, to limit any the Cloning, i.e. to just the area, where I want the hair to be cloned to. When satisfied, I would use the Healing Tool to work on any areas, that look "repeated," or just do not blend correctly. It will take some handwork, so go slowly, and watch critically. If you become dissatisfied, use Undo, or the History Palette to go back. When doing such work, I have my left hand poised overy Ctrl+Z, ready to Undo.

Another method would be to find an example of "good hair" that matches the criteria of the hair of your subject, and use that with a Layer Mask to hold back any unnecessary pixels from that good hair Image.

Though easier than what you are doing, I did some lighting test shots of a subject. Then, the hair stylist changed her hair. We got some great shots, but she liked the way her hair was in those test shots. OK, no problem. I just found a similar shot (with the previous hair), from the tests, and replaced the "styled hair" with it. A little bit of Free Transform (Ctrl+T) to match angles pretty closley, and then a Layer Mask in that previous hair Layer, and I was done. In your case, you are not at the leisure of just adding your subject's "better hair," since there is none - you have to create it. My task was much easier, since I already HAD the hair, and handy.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,859 posts
    May 24, 2010
    May 25, 2013 8:19 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

There are lots and lots of hair brush presets out there, and I bet it would be doable to make one using shape dynamics.  For instance, the standard Grass brush that comes with Photoshop is amazingly effective if you use suitable foreground and background colours.  If you fill a layer with dark brown below the grass layer, it is even better.  Brush dynamics are well worth the effort of learning IMO.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 12:34 AM   in reply to jooeey

You can use the Clone Tool. May-be a patch tool,  Also it would be a good idea To first Alt-click with the Clone Tool, and then create a new layer on top of your image Layer, and paste your Clone into the new layer, Later, use the Transform tool to change the size and shape of the new Hair..You can have multipal Layrs  And with adding the Mask you can delete the extra hair.   You can also try filter-Liquify to change the shape of the hair..

If it is a very small Bald area you can also use Burn Tool to Darken it...

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 1:55 AM   in reply to jooeey

It is "rude" to provide you with a list of hits showing videos dealing specifically with what  you asked?    Look again  you'll learn to use the Clone Stamp Tool in minutes.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 26, 2013 4:54 AM   in reply to jooeey

jooeey wrote:

station_two wrote:

Click HERE.

Ha..Ha..Ha That was very funny and Indeed very Rude

Your admission that you had been unable to determine even which basic Photoshop feature to use in no way eclipsed the possibility of your being unable to find specific video tutorials on using the Cloning Tool.

Station_two was being helpful, not rude.  Not only did he support the answer that the Cloning Tool is appropriate, but he took the time to craft a search for specific tutorials for you.   I suggest you take his advice.

Perhaps you don't realize how lucky you are that there are experts here willing to help you out of the goodness of their hearts, without compensation.  If you want rude responses, I suggest you look virtually anywhere else on the Internet.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 3:59 PM   in reply to jooeey

Sarcastically putting a link to google trying to suggest me what google is, and how can it be used. if it is not rude what is it ?

Unless you see secret characters I didn't see in that post, the link leads to exactly the correct set of video tutorials you need to answer your question.

Honestly, instead of being offended, just watch the tutorials in the link.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 4:12 PM   in reply to jooeey

jooeey wrote:

…if it is not rude what is… ?

Rude is not thanking a volunteer trying to help you.  Rude is what I call your attitude.

Hope this answers your specific question as quoted.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 4:12 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Trevor,

Had not thought of Brush Dynamics. Sounds like something to explore.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points