Skip navigation
skyzoomer
Currently Being Moderated

Is it possible to transfer PSE11 camera raw adjustments?

May 24, 2013 11:54 PM

I found a thread where it says it's not possible to open multiple images in PSE-11's Camera Raw.  But I would like to transfer the adjustments I make for one image in camera raw to another image.  Is that possible?

Thanks,

Skyzoomer

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 25, 2013 12:39 AM   in reply to skyzoomer

You can open multiple camera raw files into pse 11's camera raw (7.4), but i gather from your other post in the camera raw forum

your wanting to open multiple jpeg files into pse 11's camera raw.

One way i can think of offhand is to open your first jpeg, then on jpegs that follow use Previous Conversion from the flyout menu in camera raw.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 12:44 AM   in reply to skyzoomer

Yes, you can open several raw images at the same time in the editor ; simply you can't do that from the organizer.

Once you have opened your images in the ACR dialog, you can edit them individually or apply common edits.

The most obvious way to apply the same edits to different images is to take advantage of the 'last conversion' option in the drop down menu (icon on the right of the title bar of the basic tab).

Say you have saved a set of edits in an image : re-open it and save it (click 'Done') without changing anything. The settings are saved. Now open the next image and use the 'last conversion' option.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 6:44 AM   in reply to skyzoomer

skyzoomer wrote:

Too bad there's no way to open multiple jpg images in PSE 11's camera raw. 

Skyzoomer

I agree... that's a privilege of Lightroom users .

This brought me to think about what is missing in Elements to work smoothly and seamlessly with ACR:

- ability to open jpegs (or tiffs...) in ACR from the Organizer

- you can't open several jpegs at the same time in camera raw even from the editor

So, I thought about using the DNG format.

You can open individually jpeg files in the editor and use the option to 'save as DNG'. Once you have done this to individual files, they are considered just like raws, and you can open them at the same time from the editor. The jpeg file is saved losslessly, it is wrapped in the DNG container file.

But... when you do this, the 'save as DNG' process does not create a version set or even import the DNG file in the Organizer.

Imagine two things :

- The 'save as DNG' features gets the file in the Organizer as a version set.

- The DNGconverter is updated to enable the batch conversion of jpegs (or tiffs...) to DNG (I have already posted such a feature request)

Those two features would enable you to batch convert jpegs to DNGs, and you could use jpegs just like raws : opening several at the same time from the organizer. The second feature (dngconverter) would be enough for me. Since the original is embedded in the DNG, I would not even need to keep the jpeg at all. Furthermore, I could use the 'lossy' dng compression with renaming options in many cases.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 2:07 AM   in reply to skyzoomer

skyzoomer wrote:

Hi Michel,

I agree... that's a privilege of Lightroom users .

So Lightroom can open multiple jpg files.  Didn't know that.  Good info.

Maybe I can  batch convert jpg files to DNG using another program.  Then use the DNG files in PSE 11's organizer to open multiple DNG files in camera raw.  I'm going to investigate this approach when I have time.

I very much doubt there will be another program to do this batch conversion. I am convinced it would be very easy to add the option to the dngconverter, but I am not sure about the reason it is not implemented : because Adobe did not see the point... or because they don't want PSE to be closer to Lightroom ?

When you said "you can open them at the same time from the editor" did you mean from the Organizer instead?  I have been unable to open multiple "raw" files from the editor, only from the organizer.

Skyzoomer

Maybe you have met the same problem I have had many times : when I try to select several files at the same time in various dialogs like in 'Open', I can only select one file. I just  tried it, and the solution has been to wait a little when I press shift or ctrl before selecting another file, or to select the first one with shift or ctrl already pressed. I can confirm that I just had that problem and I could solve it this morning.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 4:53 AM   in reply to skyzoomer

The quote button is the rightmost one in the button line, just right of the smiley one.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points