Skip navigation
kat_girls
Currently Being Moderated

How do I open a package file saved in CS3 in CS5?

May 25, 2013 12:10 AM

Tags: #cs5 #indesign #packages

I need to make a minor change to an InDesign document package saved in CS3 version but I only have access to CS5.  How do I open this document so that all the fonts etc remain linked?  When I open it it is telling me the fonts don't exist, the RBG format is incorrect etc...

I am obviously a complete beginner but have been thrown in the deep end after our offsite designer disappeared.  I am totally confused after googling this problem and would really appreciate a little direction.  Cheers! K

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 25, 2013 12:44 AM   in reply to kat_girls

For the missing fonts you can go to: Type menu>Find Font then replace the missing font with the font you want. If you have the package folder of CS3 document, you can copy these fonts from the Fonts Folder and pase it to your system.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 7:11 AM   in reply to Salah Fadlabi

Salah Fadlabi wrote:

If you have the package folder of CS3 document, you can copy these fonts from the Fonts Folder and pase it to your system.

Depends on the OS, and wheterh you want to install the fonts only for ID or for all applications. You should use the OS recommended method to install fonts for the entire system, but you can safely paste fonts to the InDesign application private Fonts folder. Keep in mind, though, that Macintosh format fonts will not work on Windows, if you are working cross-platform, and Windows Type1 fonts will not work on Mac unless put into the ID fonts folder. You also would require a license for each font you install on your system.

An alternative, which will not install the fonts, but will make them available to use for editing this document only, is to chnage the name of the Fonts folder in the package folder to Document Fonts. The Document Fonts feature was added in CS5.

Also, keep in mind that any file you save in CS5 cannot be opened in CS3, so this  isn't a round-trip collabortive workflow that is going to work.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 7:57 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Macintosh format fonts will not work on Windows, if you are working cross-platform, and Windows Type1 fonts will not work on Mac unless put into the ID fonts folder

An alternative, which will not install the fonts, but will make them available to use for editing this document only, is to chnage the name of the Fonts folder in the package folder to Document Fonts. The Document Fonts feature was added in CS5.

Peter, Thanks for these tips.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 3:41 AM   in reply to kat_girls

If you look at the fonts in Windows Explorer, what are the names and sizes? You may be looking at Mac format fonts (which will show in Windows as 0 kb in size or perhaps as .dfont in the name) which cannot be used on the PC no matter what you do and will need to be replaced.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 3:43 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Also, in renaming the fonts folder in the package, check your spelling and capitalization. It has to be Document Fonts to work, and the .indd file and the Document Fonts folder must be together in the same containing folder.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points