Skip navigation
AVallie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi I'm new to using Illustrator and could use some advise...

May 25, 2013 8:22 AM

Tags: #illustrator #problem #help #size #adobe #cs6

So my dilemma has to do with getting my file size to stay under 10k. I have a new logo that I need to get placed on certain websites and they will only take files sizes under 10k and they have to be saved as a JPEG or GIF. So if anyone can give me some advice on how to get my logo from Illustrator to not take up so much space that would be so helpful. Thank You

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 25, 2013 8:30 AM   in reply to AVallie

AVallie,

When you click the Save for Web, the image size will show with the image; you can set the pixel x pixel in the Image Size window, and for a JPEG you can set the quality in the main widow, and adjust to get the desired file size. In any case you should use Art Optimzed for smoothness.

You may also consider PNG instead of GIF.

You may look here, too and follow the link further to see where to apply.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5338796#5338796

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 11:47 AM   in reply to AVallie

Keep your logo at the size it appears in your web page.  For instance, your logo could be on an 8.5"x11" artboard and the artwork is around 5 x 7".  The logo size in the web page is, say .5" x 1.2" or 36px x 86px.  Set the artboard size to include any padding, so around .75" x 1.5" or 54px x 108px.  Do all of this on a "copy" of the original file.  Scale the artwork down to fit the artboard - any padding.  Apply a holding line to the artboard's 54px x 108px size of 0% fill, 0% stroke and lock the holding line.  In Illustrator Preferences, de-select any PDF compatability.  Finally, do a "Save for Web" and select whatever is appropriate for your logo ( haven't seen it, so I can't recommend anything ). GIF should work if it is 1-2 flat colors.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2013 3:11 PM   in reply to AVallie

AVaille,

It seems that you will have to reduce the pixel x pixel size (further) to get the file size down.

You can change either the Width or the Height, and the other will change in proportion. As soon as you press the Apply button the change in file size will show under the image along with the new appearance.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points