Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

how to create a parallel line shape

May 25, 2013 4:52 PM

Tags: #illustrator #photoshop #line #adobe #shape #parallel

Hi,

I would like to create something similar to this http://creative.ge/img/star.png

It seems to be multiple outlines of the star

Do you know a technique to do that with Photoshop or Illustrator ?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 25, 2013 4:57 PM   in reply to ThinkyDan

Can't see your image, but a simple way of doing that is to duplicate the shape as many times as needed.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 4:57 PM   in reply to ThinkyDan

Please read this FAQ for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers: 

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 6:32 PM   in reply to ThinkyDan

Ignore our self-appointed forum concierge. There's nothing wrong with your question and I had no trouble viewing your image.

The concierge is wrong (yet again) which isn't surprising since he admits to not being able to see the thing on which he advises. [We really need a rolling-eyes smiley in this forum.]

it would be a nightmare to do the job in Photoshop, but a piece of cake in Illustrator. You'll want to make a blend between smallest star and largest star: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/illustrator/cs/using/WS714a382cdf7d304e7e0 7d0100196cbc5f-6443a.html

Screen shot 2013-05-26 at 02.29.41.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 6:10 PM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

Can't see your image, but a simple way of doing that is to duplicate the shape as many times as needed.

Wrong!

Not surprising since you say you can't even see the image.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 6:11 PM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

Please read this FAQ for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers: 

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

Thanks!

There was nothing wrong with the question, in my opinion.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 6:41 PM   in reply to ThinkyDan

No one said there was anything "wrong" with  your question or image, ThinkyDan.  The term didn't even come up until the previous poster brought it up.

The link I provided was meant to offer suggestions on how to supply more pertinent information, especially in the absence of a visible image in your post and/or a better description of your project.

I will not insult your intelligence by presuming to tell you how to deal with other forum contributors regardless of how distasteful I may find them.  That's just offensive to you, condescending and uncalled for.  There are channels to report posts anyone finds objectionable.

In order to embed an image in your post, use the little camera icon in the tool bar of the Reply forum in the web interface of this forum:

Adobe_forums_cameraicon.jpg

A lot of folks, including me, are reluctant to click on unknown links.  Sorry.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 6:51 PM   in reply to station_two

You're right about something - nobody used the term "wrong" to describe the image.

I wrote: "There's nothing wrong with your question and I had no trouble viewing your image."

That was prompted by your pointing ThinkyDan to a FAQ on "how to ask your questions correctly", implying that there was something wrong with the question.

Ironically, the only thing wrong was your advice on how to create an image that you admitted to not being able to see.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 6:56 PM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

No one said there was anything "wrong" with  your question or image, ThinkyDan…

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 7:02 PM   in reply to station_two

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 7:07 PM   in reply to ThinkyDan

You're welcome!

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 7:38 PM   in reply to ThinkyDan

Although I did this in Corel, same applies to Illustrator. Make a star, contour outwards (similar to blend). Crop and flip (mirror) the image and align nodes. Repeat the flipping till you have effect.

stars repeated.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,880 posts
    May 24, 2010
    May 25, 2013 8:12 PM   in reply to Mike in British Columbia

I didn't think I could see the image to start with, but found myself being strangely drawn in and mesmerised by the repeating star pattern.  The next thing I knew, it was days later, and I’d donated all my worldly goods to a little known Russian charity.  

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 2:02 AM   in reply to ThinkyDan

It was not my intrntion to inconvenience or offend you or anyone else in this thread, ThinkyDan, so I have no trouble offering an apology to you and everyone else who posted.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,478 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 26, 2013 5:38 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

I didn't think I could see the image to start with, but found myself being strangely drawn in and mesmerised by the repeating star pattern.  The next thing I knew, it was days later, and I’d donated all my worldly goods to a little known Russian charity.  

And here I thought it was just me!

I think this could probably be done in Photoshop with a script.  I've been trying to think of a way without scripting - there probably is one, but so far all I've come up with so far is a geometric progression, not one with fixed pixel size increments.

Hopefully this one will draw you in and get you to donate to me. 

StarTunnel.png

By the way, one of the reasons Photoshop is on top of the heap of editors in this day and age is that it actually is possible to make lines that are not aliased with Photoshop.  I'm just not seeing that with any other brand photo editor.  I don't know if Adobe Illustrator is similarly talented as I don't use it.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 5:34 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

And here I thought it was just me!

I think this could probably be done in Photoshop with a script.  I've been trying to think of a way without scripting - there probably is one, but so far all I've come up with so far is a geometric progression, not one with fixed pixel size increments.

StarTunnel.png

Very interesting, Noel.  That to me looks better than anything else shown in this thread.  Of course I see the lack of fixed pixel increments, but I like the geometric progression better myself.  It adds a three-dimensional feel to the pattern.

I realize that's not what the OP was after, but that is precisely the kind of thing I had in mind when I typed my much maligned post #1 without the benefit of  seeing the original image due to my reluctance to click on unknown links.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,478 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 26, 2013 8:37 PM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

I like the geometric progression better myself.  It adds a three-dimensional feel to the pattern.

I realize that's not what the OP was after

Your thoughts mirrored mine precisely!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 8:59 PM   in reply to conroy

conroy wrote:

There are no "promises" made in any posts in the thread. 

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The quotation "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" comes from Shakespeare's Hamlet, Act III, scene II, where it is spoken by Queen Gertrude, Hamlet's mother. The phrase has come to mean that one can "insist so passionately about something not being true that people suspect the opposite of what one is saying". This usage of the phrase is based on a misunderstanding of the meaning of the word "protest" as it was used in Shakespeare's day, as the "protest" of the lady is not a protest in the modern sense of the word, but an affirmation or avowal

[emphasis added]

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 9:14 PM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

conroy wrote:

There are no "promises" made in any posts in the thread. 

Give me strength!

What have "promises", or the lack thereof, got to do with this thread? Who said anything about promises being made?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The quotation "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" comes from Shakespeare's Hamlet, Act III, scene II, where it is spoken by Queen Gertrude, Hamlet's mother. The phrase has come to mean that one can "insist so passionately about something not being true that people suspect the opposite of what one is saying". This usage of the phrase is based on a misunderstanding of the meaning of the word "protest" as it was used in Shakespeare's day, as the "protest" of the lady is not a protest in the modern sense of the word, but an affirmation or avowal

[emphasis added]

I used the Shakespearean quotation correctly.

Let me guess - you don't realise that an affirmation or avowal is a declaration that something is true.

Twice you affirmed: "No one said there was anything "wrong" with  your question or image, ThinkyDan…"

Now, do you understand why I used the Shakespearean quotation, and that I used it correctly?

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 9:36 PM   in reply to conroy

You re still clueless.

When the "lady protests too much", she is indeed "promising too much".

To protest in those times, and in modern court usage, means to swear, to affirm or promise.

Yes, you need strength indeed, but that I can't give you.  Your educational, cultural and intellectual levels are just too weak.   And as far as class, you are as low as I've ever run across.  I will not stoop to your level by inserting crass laugh emoticons or effeminately snide remarks.

af·fir·ma·tion  (fr-mshn)

n.

3. Law  A solemn declaration given in place of a sworn statement by a person who conscientiously objects to taking an oath.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 9:41 PM   in reply to conroy

From the same link above:

The phrase's actual meaning is, "I think the lady is promising too much." In the play, Hamlet's father has died, and his father's ghost has told Hamlet that he has been murdered (by Claudius). Hamlet has arranged a play for his mother Gertude and his uncle/stepfather King Claudius to watch: "The play's the thing, wherein I'll catch the conscience of the king." Hamlet wants to see if Claudius squirms or sweats at the point in the play where the woman's husband is murdered by her lover (or future lover). If so, he'll have some decent evidence that Claudius killed his father. Hamlet arranged for the woman in the play to promise ("protest") to her husband that if he dies she will never remarry. At this point, Hamlet asks his mother how she likes the play so far, and Gertude famously replies, "The lady protests too much, methinks." In other words, she's promising too much. Gertude is protecting her own conscience about having married Hamlet's uncle after his father died. Hamlet replies, "O, but she'll keep her word." He's rubbing it in that his mother hasn't lived up to the standard of the woman in the play.

[emphasis added]

Payback's a b¡tch, ain't it?

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 9:53 PM   in reply to station_two

station_two playing the semantics game... now, that is a laugh! 

Again, you go hunting references which you hope will hide another moment of your foolishness.

It would have been far easier for you to not do anything so utterly ridiculous as giving advice on recreating a specific image which you had not even looked at.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 9:56 PM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

[...]

Payback's a b¡tch, ain't it?

No, you're my b¡tch!

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 9:58 PM   in reply to conroy

An expression one would naturally expect from you.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 9:58 PM   in reply to station_two

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 10:00 PM   in reply to conroy

conroy wrote:

…It would have been far easier for you to not do anything so utterly ridiculous as giving advice on recreating a specific image which you had not even looked at.

In retrospect, my advice, and Noel's rendition, were much better than your advice and your coarse effort.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 10:09 PM   in reply to conroy

Just replying to your post so you won't delete it or edit it.  I'm quite satisfied with the transparent and blatant way you are revealing and exposing your true nature.  Thanks for that.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 10:15 PM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

You re still clueless.

When the "lady protests too much", she is indeed "promising too much".

To protest in those times, and in modern court usage, means to swear, to affirm or promise.

So, by your own definition of promise, you twice promised to ThinkyDan: "No one said there was anything "wrong" with  your question or image, ThinkyDan…

In response to those promises, I posted the Shakespaerean quotation.

Then you protested: "There are no "promises" made in any posts in the thread."

Who are you trying to kid?!

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 10:25 PM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

conroy wrote:

…It would have been far easier for you to not do anything so utterly ridiculous as giving advice on recreating a specific image which you had not even looked at.

In retrospect, my advice, and Noel's rendition, were much better than your advice and your coarse effort.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points