Skip navigation
Cateleb12
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS5.5 crashes when trying to open ANY CS5.5 document

May 26, 2013 3:50 PM

Tags: #cs5.5 #indesign #crashing

I am using InDesign CS5.5 and can't open any of my InDesign CS5.5 documents. The message "InDesign has stopped working" appears.

Even when trying to create a new document, again the message "Adobe InDesign CS5.5 has stopped working" - close programme.

InDesign was working perfectly on Friday. Saved and exported a file to pdf, all okay.

Are you able to help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 26, 2013 4:04 PM   in reply to Cateleb12

Operating system?

What changed over the weekend on the system?

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 4:48 PM   in reply to Cateleb12

First thing I'd do is a System Restore to Thursday....

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 5:25 PM   in reply to Cateleb12

Did you try the System Restore?

And you should see if ID works in a new user account.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2013 6:08 AM   in reply to Cateleb12

OK, a new user account not working points toward a system problem rather than a user problem. Did you install any new fonts recently? Any other programs or utilities?

Most common causes of crash on startup are bad fonts and SING, I think, so you should have a look at Troubleshoot font problems | Windows and SING Removal

You should be able to do a "repair" install of just ID from the DVD, but if it doesn't help you may need to tyry the uninstall again for the whole suite, then run the cleaner tool (CS Cleaner Tool for installation problems | CCM, CS6, CS5.5, CS5, CS4, CS3) before reinstalling.

Are you running as an administrator, by the way?

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2013 2:17 PM   in reply to Cateleb12

The installer will need to either see the earlier version installed (and only trials expire, and they can't be used for upgrading, so there's something else going on, too), the instation media for it, or you'll have to feed it the serial number. I'd leave the old version in place.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2013 2:52 AM   in reply to Cateleb12

Well I'm glad ID is working, but I'm worried that you may still have some problems (no program Icon is not a great sign). If you do, I'd uninstall again, run the cleaner again, and make sure you do a "clean boot" (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135) before reinstalling. You can also try doing a repair install on top of what is there now. There have not been, and will not be, as far as I know, any updates to CS5.5.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2013 7:46 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

This issue just started happening for me as well.  I am on Windows 7 32bit and the error in the log points to AdobePSL.dll.  I dont know if that helps in finding the solution to this issue, but our symptoms are nearly identical.  I am able to open a file after it crashes the first time.  When it opens it shows that it is in a needs to be saved state.  If I close the file and try a third time to open it will crash again.

Any updates would be appreciated.

thanks,

Dan

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points