Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

escaping a looped video on a dvd

May 26, 2013 8:11 PM

Hello,

I just built a DVD anbd had two of the videos loop. They Loop Fine when in the DVD player...but if someone is done watching the loop

to get out they must stop the DVD completely and start the DVD from the beginning.

I pushed the menu button on the DVD remote...but it just started the loop again.

Is this normal? or is there another way?

I search the forums and didnt find anything about this

Thanks,

Mark

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 28, 2013 10:59 AM   in reply to Soshman

Hiya Mark.

What have you set the Menu Remote button to do in the timelines that are looping?

You probably have them set to restart, and this could be the cause of the problem - can you post a screenshot of your flowchart please?

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2013 11:29 AM   in reply to Soshman

If you select the timeline for the looping videos, you should see the "Menu Remote" option in the properties.

It is important to make sure you have got the timeline selected - not the video file on it's own.

Set this to where you want the user to end up - probably the main menu.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2013 7:02 AM   in reply to Soshman

So it's a looping menu then?

I would just add another button with a call to Main Menu on it......

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2013 7:48 AM   in reply to Soshman

Neil, it looks to me like there is no menu remote option for a playlist, right?

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2013 8:46 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

I don't honestly remember to be frank - and that machine is currently churning away at an MPEG-2 render.

That is kinda why I suggested a "Main Menu" button for escape - I always use a cop-out button oin every submenu, as you cannot be sure the "Menu Remote" button will work properly because that button should always go to the root menu in the current VTS.....but Encore, being an abstraction layer tool, turns every timeline into it's own VTS (Hence the 99 timeline limitation)

@Mark.

When you say "The menu button goes to the beginning of the current timeline within the playlist." you must have programmed it to do this, surely?

What have you got the "TITLE" setting programmed to do? (I am thinking that this is currently set to the timeline & not the main menu).

It may be worth trying to set this option to the main menu - but as I said before the way these buttons work on players can vary. It is supposed to be as follows:

TOP MENU/TITLE - the Main Menu of the disc.

MENU = the root menu of the current VTS.

Not only does the usage vary, some manufacturers use different names as well - Denon & Oppo use "MENU/TOP MENU", Cambridge Audio use "MENU/TITLE".

Now, ordinarily TITLE should be the same as TOP MENU, and MENU should be the same - yet Encore is an abstraction layer tool so the whole thing is a little blurry around the edges as instead of the author creating each VTS & deciding what content goes in each one, Encore simply turns every timeline into it's own unique VTS. This has it's pros & cons. The GUI gives you a TITLE option on all menus so that could be used to get the user to the main menu byu using the pickwhip & just setting it.

I would still put a button on the looping menu though, as you are bound to get some user somewhyere who will say "it doesn't work" or "I get stuck" if you do not.

A button is a clear, visible indicator......

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2013 9:11 AM   in reply to Neil Wilkes

I would still put a button on the looping menu though,

I think the menu isn't looping; it is a playlist with 3 timelines in it that is looping. What he wants is for the menu remote to go back to the main menu. But Encore doesn't provide an option for putting a menu remote command on a playlist.

I don't know why it does not work to put the menu remote for each timeline to the main menu. Perhaps since a playlist overrides a timeline's end action...

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2013 9:22 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

Stan Jones wrote:

I would still put a button on the looping menu though,

I think the menu isn't looping; it is a playlist with 3 timelines in it that is looping. What he wants is for the menu remote to go back to the main menu. But Encore doesn't provide an option for putting a menu remote command on a playlist.

I don't know why it does not work to put the menu remote for each timeline to the main menu. Perhaps since a playlist overrides a timeline's end action...

Ah - I gotcha now.

There may still be a workaround though - even though we are using our VTS as timelines in a playlist, each of those timelines can still have a MENU command set to them in properties. I may be wide of the mark, but this implies to me that if each timeline in the playlist is selected in turn and has it's Menu Remote setting programmed it ought to work as expected - as you say the playlist is over riding the end action of the timelines - but it is not (hopefully) over riding the menu remote call. That should still function.

It simply means that each tiomeline has to have this option set instead of doing it globally in the playlist.

Does that make sense?

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2013 9:25 AM   in reply to Neil Wilkes

each of those timelines can still have a MENU command set to them in properties. I may be wide of the mark, but this implies to me that if each timeline in the playlist is selected in turn and has it's Menu Remote setting programmed it ought to work as expected

I thought this is what Mark had done; and it takes him back to the timeline.

Mark, if that is not what you did; try it!

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2013 9:31 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

I thought it read differently I must say.....

If it is set to "Last Menu" this may be the problem - a playlist is really a kind of "special object" and I suspect it is a sort of "special menu" with specific functionality.

I would set it (each timeline in the playlist) to a specific "main menu" from the drop-down/manual selection arrow rather than "last menu".....

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2013 10:19 AM   in reply to Soshman

Yes he is!

My understanding of this now is that nothing is being overriden; the menu remote just needed to know which menu you wanted, rather than "last menu" which got sidetracked by the playlist code.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2013 10:23 AM   in reply to Soshman

Kaleidsoscopic!!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers