Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do you make better quality DVDs

May 27, 2013 8:41 PM

Tags: #premire_elements_11

I have to produce my HD video into SD. I had to get help before on how to make a mpg that would come out looking good. Ended up having to go the advanced settings and ramp up the video quality, which fixed that problem. However, I have they same quality problem when trying to creat a DVD. The program really downgrades the quality of the video, but I cannot find any advance adjustments to make it out to the DVD without downgrading the video quality. I used to use Cyberlink and it never downgraded the quality of the video when burning to a DVD. I hope there is way around this, otherwise I will have to use another program to creat DVDs.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 27, 2013 9:24 PM   in reply to xrcrc453

xrcrc453

Just some quick questions for now, more later in the light of day...

Are you working with progressive or interlaced video for your projects?

What are the properites of your source media and what are you setting for the project preset or having the program set it for you (as with Premiere Elements 11).

Are there photos in these projects? And, if so, what are the pixel dimensions and how many photos?

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What is the Space Required and Bitrate in the burn dialog for a typical project that you are taking to DVD-VIDEO format on a DVD disc?

To be continued...

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2013 6:15 AM   in reply to xrcrc453

xrcrc453

Thanks for the details.

The burn to disc does not come with adjustable choices. Depending on your source media  the DVD standard requirement for Field Order = Lower Field first versus the Field Order = Upper Field First is negosable beforehand applying Fields Options/Reverse Field Dominance or using the special Hard Disk Flash Memory Camcorder choices which are supposed to change the Field Order for you automatically.

But let me focus on your 1920 x 1080 @ 23.9 proggressive frames per second going to DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on a DVD disc.

1. What are you selecting as the project preset in the new project dialog when the program opens? If you are letting the program take over making that setting (as in Premiere Elements 11), what is it setting? To check, please see Edit Menu/Project Settings. Based on your details, I would say that the project preset should be for an NTSC setup:

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p24

When you wrote:

2. Image size 1920x1080, Frame Rate 23.9, Audio 48000 Hz compressed 6 channel , pixel aspect ratio 1.0, the project setting: Image size 720x480 frame 29.7

The project preset should match the properties of your source media so that it directs the program to set up the correct space in the Edit Mode Monitor for editing purposes. The project preset setting has obvious affects on the project settings as well as some subtle ones.

Based on what you wrote, it is not clear why the "...,the project setting: image size 720 x 480 frame 29.7". Please clarify.

The export setting for your stated goal should:

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD

disc

with Presets = NTSC_Widescreen Dolby DVD

That is fixed at 720 x 480 with a 16:9 flag to stretch the video for display after encoding and is @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second.

Is that what you are doing now.

Thanks for your follow up. Looking forward to your review of the above and comments.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2013 7:28 AM   in reply to xrcrc453

2. Image size 1920x1080, Frame Rate 23.9, Audio 48000 Hz compressed 6 channel , pixel aspect ratio 1.0, the project setting: Image size 720x480 frame 29.7

Your Project Settings should match your Source Footage, which is HD 1920 x 1080 @ 24p. That will edit best.

Then, during output to DVD-Video, you will be letting the program do the down-rezzing to NTSC DVD.

When authoring a DVD-Video, there is another consideration, and that is the Menus and the navigation. If you do the authoring in your HD Project, there will be down-rezzing of the Menus, that would need to be HD Menus to work with that Timeline. Problems can come into play there.

Many users have found that the best way to handle this is to edit in a Project, that matches the HD footage, and then output (Share/Export) to DV-AVI, which is a specific version of AVI, with the DV CODEC. Then create an NTSC SD Widescreen 16:9 720 x 480 Project, Import that edited, and output DV-AVI into its Timeline, where all Menu Sets and navigation are added, and will NOT be down-rezzed. From that second Project, after all navigation has been added and Previewed, Burn to Disc will be about as good as it gets.

Remember, SD DVD-Video will be a bit less than 1/4 the resolution of your original HD material, so you cannot compare its quality to that of the HD Video material.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2013 8:24 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt

Just a mini note...

As you know, the basic files (.psd) for the disc menus come in 3 possible versions in the program files, that is, standard (s) (720 x 576), standard widescreen (w) (720 x 576), and high definition (hd) (all sized for 1440 x 1080 frame size). The choice of the project preset is supposed to be directing the program as to which version to have available for the project.

Putting aside how the program is handling those hd menus, if a project is set for DV Widescreen, I have seen on several occasions that the program has opted to use the standard rather than the standard widescreen version of the .psd. At the moment, I cannot give you a specific example, but will at another time.

One can check to see what .psd version is being used for the project by reading the Notepad document of the saved project.prel file.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2013 9:24 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

You are correct about the available PSD's for the Menu Sets.

Where I have read of quite a few users encountering problems is where they have used the HD Menu Sets in an HD Project, but then down-rezzed that Project directly to SD DVD-Video. When those issues arose, the fix has always been (as far as I have seen), outputting the HD Project to DV-AVI, creating a new SD DV Project (either PAL, or NTSC, depending on the user's location), and Importing that DV-AVI, to then add the Menu Sets, and letting PrE create the navigation, based on Menu, Chapter, Stop Markers (note: a Stop Marker is not be placed at the end of the Timeline, as that will likely casue issues). In that workflow, the quality of the Menu Sets is maintained well, and the quality of the burned DVD-Video is as good as it gets, when going from HD to SD.

There are some tutorials and suggestions on doing the down-rezzing from HD to SD, but they involve other software, and all that I have seen, were written for PrPro. Though the PrPro info translates pretty well to PrE, it is not perfect, and can be confusing. I hesitate to post those here, because of the reliance on PrPro, but can, if desired.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2013 10:14 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

What concerned me is that, if one goes through the detours, one cannot always be assured of the program offering the widescreen version of the .psd set for the DV Widescreen project. The odds are far better with regard to getting what you think you should for a menu version when one is dealing with a DV Standard project.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2013 11:30 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

I have not seen this issue, when the DV-AVI output file is done with Widescreen 16:9.

I have seen issues, where HD Menu Sets were used in HD Projects, that were then authored and burned to DVD-Video. These observations have been made for both PrE, and for Adobe Encore (the full-featured authoring application, included with PrPro). These most often show up in Encore, where one has first done a BD Project, and then just change the Project to DVD. I mention Encore in that sentence as it uses many of the same Roxio/Sonic modules, as does PrE.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2013 11:32 AM   in reply to xrcrc453

If I understand from what I am reading, then there is no way to make this program output HQ video to DVD. I can already use an external program that I downloaded for free, that works great, but I would like to be able to use the Adobe program for this.

Do you mean that you want to author a short HD Project to DVD-Video, to be burned by a BD burner, but using a DVD blank disc,, to be played on a BD player?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2013 11:46 AM   in reply to xrcrc453

>output HQ video to DVD

A DVD is only Standard Definition video... 720x480 screen resolution

You may put a SHORT BluRay image on a DVD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/871854 but it will not play in a DVD player

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2013 12:22 PM   in reply to xrcrc453

xrcrc453 and Hunt,

When I open a new project, I choose DV Standared so my editing screen will be standard size and have have the safe zones be correct. Though I am using HD video, I streach the video to fill the entire screen.

At the onset you said that you were in search of suggestions for how to obtain better DVD (DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc) from a Premiere Elements program. If I read correctly what I quoted from what you wrote, you are using a DV Standard 4:3 project preset for setting up a 16:9 project with high definition video and making scaling adjustments in the Edit Mode Monitor space. If you are using HD video as you said, I would advise you to reconsider and use the project preset appropriate for your video properties which is not DV Standard or DV Widescreen.

Even if you want to follow Hunt's suggested workflow, I would suggest

a. HD video into project set so that the properties of the source media match the properties of the project preset, not your intended export.

b. Then export using the settings of your choice: DV Standard, DV Widescreen, or other for later burn to DVD-VIDEO or whatever.

Now if you were doing a photo slideshow with photos 1920 x 1080 or greater and heading for DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen format on DVD disc, scattered relatively recent reports suggest that the use of the DSLR project presets give much sharper results in the burn to disc DVD. I am still working through the details to verify or refute those posts findings. Hopefully they can be verified to give the user the edge in the search for better.

Your thread seems to have gotten focused on disc menu quality, pros and cons of those for "hd", "w", and "s". Even setting the correct project preset to match the properties of the source media, the program may not always select what we might consider the corresponding choice for our setup. There is a grand plan aka trick for forcing the program to give you the version of the menu's disc template that you want. I can tell you how if that is requested.

Sometimes when all is said and done, TV and their players, if they have certain advanced technolgies for enhancing DVD-VIDEO viewing, can come to the rescue in a big way.

As I have explored and experimented with Premiere Elements versions, I have found that it is risky extropolating Premiere Elements behavior in terms of other programs in the Adobe family. Not that it cannot be done at times, but as I say risky.

We will be watching for futher developments.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

Add On...If you are interested in putting high definition video on a DVD disc, there is a burn to disc, AVCHD in Premiere Elements 11 and 10. But the problem there is finding players that will play the AVCHD DVD. DVD players will not. And, even many of the recommended Blu-ray players have problems playing them.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2013 12:40 PM   in reply to xrcrc453

xrcrc453 wrote:

When I open a new project, I choose DV Standared so my editing screen will be standard size and have have the safe zones be correct. Though I am using HD video, I streach the video to fill the entire screen. I do not want black lines above and below. This is why the the properties of the video itself does not match the software setup. One thing I liked about Cyberlink was that they had button at the top to where you could swith between 16:9 and 4:3 at will. Adobe E has to be set in the beginning with no way to change it.

If I understand from what I am reading, then there is no way to make this program output HQ video to DVD. I can already use an external program that I downloaded for free, that works great, but I would like to be able to use the Adobe program for this. If there is no way to acheive this it is sad that this program is so limited in this area. Thanks for your help.

High Quality means HD on DVD also known as an AVCHD disk. But can only be played on a BD(Bluray)-player.

The problem with Elements is you cannot alter the bitrate for dvd. Its somewhat fixed.

However uncheck the fit contents to available space and set quality to highest in the dvd export setting (share), but you already did that.

The best way imo is to make a dvd from HD material is to setup an HD project.

HD is always widescreen so if you turn that into a widescreen dvd you will not end up with black bars.

See if that will give you a better result.

There is a way to tweak the bitrate and that is to export to mpeg (computer) and go into advanced.

Use a bitrate calculator to get the best settings.

However you will need a program that will turn this mpeg into a dvd without re-encoding (e.g. Womble).

Never wear a checkered or striped shirt, keep it a one color shirt. Checkered shirt, brick walls etc are a known issue.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2013 12:39 PM   in reply to xrcrc453

BD = Blu-ray Disc, and a BD player, and/or burner, is a device that will play, or burn, to a BD.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2013 2:38 PM   in reply to xrcrc453

xrcrc453

I believe you to be wrong in your expectations. Have you actually tried to import your 16:9 with a matching project preset, export that as burn to disc DVD with the 4:3 preset, and gotten distorted or otherwise unacceptable results?

I do not have any 16:9 video footage with scripture, so I created a new document in Photoshop Elements sized for 1080p, typed some from the Book of Job, saved that as jpeg, and imported that into a Premiere Elements 11 project (default 1080i30, aka 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second).

I burned that to DVD-VIDEO Standard 4:3 on DVD disc, and it looked fine on the computer playback (VLC Media Player and Windows Media Player). My TV is tied up with another project. I will free that up later tonight. What I am going to do now is to upload that 16:9 Timeline to YouTube using a 4:3 preset. I will post the link to the upload, and you can see the results. I will write later about the TV results.

To be continued...

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2013 3:35 PM   in reply to xrcrc453

xrcrc453

Just got finished with upload of 16:9 Timeline to YouTube as Flash Video For YouTube as 4:3 640 x 480 @ 30 frames per second.

Two documents in the video...first the Photoshop Elements document created for 1080p sizing and the second was a title created in the Titler of a Premiere Elements 11 1080i30 project. That looked like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8c-hplOdcA

Just looked at that same 16:9 Timeline content burn to disc DVD with preset for DVD-VIDEO standard 4:3 on TV disc. I tried the TV settings for 16:9 480i as well as 4:3 480i. What I saw on my 19 in LCD TV looked about the same, nothing was cut off.

In all cases I stayed within the rectangle for text safe margins.

I will post some photos that I took of the TV.

Cutting off of text is a non issue in what I have done.

There may be black borders to the top and bottom of the screen, but all is sharp text. You will need to be the judge on the black borders side of the task.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2013 4:55 PM   in reply to xrcrc453

xrcrc453

I have a very low level 19 inch Widescreen LCD TV (major advantage, it can double as a TV monitor). Explore the TV settings of your TV. Mine has a set for 4:3 480i as well as 16:9 480i.

I definitely do not see any cut off of text, proceeding as we both are going the 16:9 to 4:3 route. The Photoshop Elements document's text is sharp, the title in the Titler with a Style applied could be better with regard to sharpness. It was just a quick run through for that one.

In the 16:9 project settings to 4:3 export, see what you make of any top and bottom black borders. They looked the same on my TV with either of its settings that I mentioned.

Thanks for giving this a look. Tonight I will give your approach to the matter a try with the 4:3 project settings and scaling your 16:9 in that project.

More later.

ATR

Update

I did another upload to YouTube for the 16:9 Timeline, using Flash Video for YouTube 640 x 480. This time I replaced the Titler text to which a style was applied. It looks a little better now in comparison to the sharper text from the Photoshop Elements document that was imported into the project.

Here is a link to the second YouTube upload...major point, no text cut offs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdXmjPfB8qM

I am going to try your approach now. More later.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2013 5:32 PM   in reply to xrcrc453

xrcrc453

Just a quick update. I am going to put a hold on trying out your approach to the problem until I learn of your results from by suggestions.

Reason: I am having a difficult time figuring out how you took your text (presumed in HD footage 16:9) into a Premiere Elements DV Standard project 4:3 and scaled it satisfactorily without zooming the text out of the text safe margins.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2013 7:22 PM   in reply to xrcrc453

xrcrc453

I think your mention of using HD video caused me to misunderstand what you were doing with the text. I thought that you were filming the text from the church screen.

Now I think that I am in stink with the text part of what you are doing although I am not 100% on how HD video fits in. Is your production a mix of HD video clips and the text that you are creating in the Titler? Just to recap, is your major problem with the HD video or text going to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc or both? If both, what are some of your major quality issues at this moment?

I think that we will agree that your approach and the one that I suggested will not result in cut off text. But, I will not take anything for granted and will await your confirmation on that point. Because of the various controls on all these TVs, I am curious to see how things go with regard to any black border consequences on what I suggested.

I would agree that creating your text in the program's Titler is a bit of a challenge to get crisp text in the end product DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. We can offer details specific to that point if you want after we iron out what we are discussing now.

Thanks again for looking at the suggestions.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2013 10:02 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

If the issue involves a Title, that must fit into the Title-Safe area for 4:3, in a 16:9 Project, I would create an "alignment grid" for the 4:3 Title-Safe area, and use it to create my Titles in the 16:9 Project. This article talks about using alignment grids: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4319250#4319250

There will be extra room around those Titles on a 16:9 TV, but will be safe for a 4:3 TV.

Just a thought,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2013 10:10 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

There was no problem involving text in scripture being cut off or misaligned in all that I described for YouTube as well as TV.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2013 6:26 AM   in reply to xrcrc453

xrcrc453

Typically if I need a shortcut and it is not shown next to the option in the program (such as next to one of the Fade Commands, I go to Edit Menu/Keyboard Customization to see if what I want is listed there. If so, I borrow a shortcut from one option that I am not using to assign it to the command I want.

Saying all that, I see not shortcut next to the Fade commands in the program, I do not see it listed under Keyboard Customization. There is a listing for Opacity, but I have not yet gotten that to work by assigning my shortcut to it according to the scheme in Keyboard Customization.

Is the same FadeIn FadeOut for one scripture the same for all. Then you might consider a Copy/Paste Effects and Adjustments scheme fo copy the FadeIn FadeOut of the first to the highlighted group of other scriptures. Keep in mind, that when you copy the FadeIn FadeOut you will also be copying any effects in the first as well.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2013 11:02 AM   in reply to xrcrc453

XRCRC,

You said "they [Adobe] helped me change my mpg settings using the advanced settings. It was the ONLY way to get a HQ MPG output. That part works great..."

Please do the rest of us a favor and share with us what they told you, including the settings that worked.

"it is better to give than to receive"

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2013 12:58 PM   in reply to xrcrc453

Thanks!  It's always good to have a solution that might not come up somewhere else or some other way.

[this got dropped off my post]

There's still one question I hope you will answer.  The MPG2 option is only for saving to computer; it doesn't allow for burning a DVD.  So how did you get the DVD burned?

Also the MPG2 file created in this way can't be viewed in Windows (tried GOM, Windows Media viewer).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2013 1:48 PM   in reply to Kawika808

Kawika808

Do you ever work with the VLC player or the Media Classic player (MPC-HC x64)?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2013 4:54 PM   in reply to Kawika808

Kawika808,

There's still one question I hope you will answer.  The MPG2 option is only for saving to computer; it doesn't allow for burning a DVD.  So how did you get the DVD burned?

If one has output an MPEG-2 DVD file, with the intent of authoring a DVD-Video from it, they can use one of several authoring programs, such as Sony's DVD Architect. That MPEG-2 DVD would be Imported into DVD Architect, where the acutal authoring would be done.

I believe that Roxio and CyberLink also have a DVD authoring apps., but am not sure which file formats they might require.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2013 9:15 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

BH,

Thanks, this is useful!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2013 9:17 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

I'm not sure what VLC player or Media Classic Player are.

I seem to remember downloading a trial of a VLC editing program of some sort a few months ago, but I didn't like it and didn't pursue it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2013 9:19 AM   in reply to xrcrc453

xrcrc,

Thanks for taking the time to outline the steps you took to make it happen.  This will be very useful.

I also appreciate your comparison comments with other programs, which I will look into.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2013 11:12 AM   in reply to Kawika808

Kawika808

The free VLC player and free Media Classic (MPC-HCx64) are frequently sort for Blu-ray play back.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/08/pe-blu-ray-computer-playback-an d-more.html

But their play back is not confined to Blu-ray.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

http://mpc-hc.org/

As with most downloads these days, watch out for bloatware.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points